Replacement for GP4000s?

Mr Purple

Re: Replacement for GP4000s?

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:35 pm

So I made a mistake and it turns out I've been using a 'Corsa Control' on the back with a plain 'Corsa' on the front.

Mind you according to Rolling Resistance reviews the Control has 1.1W extra RR, weighs only 10g more and has better puncture resistance and wet grip.

That might explain why it's lasting a lot better than the Contis. Honestly, I can't really see any reason to use the allegedly 'faster' model.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 pm

So after singing their praises I've lost two Vittoria Corsas within a few weeks for almost exactly the same reason. Both picked up a very small and very similar looking metal filing which penetrated the tread and punctured the inner tube. And on both occasions it was so small as to be invisible on the roadside repair, and ended up puncturing both replacement tubes as well.

Not really a fault of the tyre, probably more a reflection of the fact they're so sticky they pick up small bits of debris like that. One had 3500km (front) and the other 1500km (rear) so were close to replacement anyway.

Now have a Schwalbe Pro One on the front which I've been very impressed with. Fitted with thumbs (excellent and a first for me), rolls well, a bit more supple than the Contis as well as cheaper. Think I'll buy a couple and try them for a while.

One warning - I started getting a scary sounding rhythmic noise at speeds over 40km/hr on Cootha today. Sounded bad, stopped a couple of times to inspect it because I had visions of a broken spoke or incorrectly beaded tyre. Turned out to be a transparent sticker Schwalbe had stuck over the 'Tube use only' decal for some reason - was just flapping in the breeze.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:31 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 pm
Now have a Schwalbe Pro One on the front which I've been very impressed with. Fitted with thumbs (excellent and a first for me), rolls well, a bit more supple than the Contis as well as cheaper. Think I'll buy a couple and try them for a while.

Where's a good place to buy the Schwalbe Pro One?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Mububban wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:31 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 pm

Where's a good place to buy the Schwalbe Pro One?
Best I could find is Merlin - $75 apiece.

Stock is difficult.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:34 pm

1344km out of a rear Vittoria Corsa. No punctures, no delaminating, just wafer thin.

Pretty happy with that. Merlin have a special on pairs of Schwalbe Pro Ones this week too - $152 with 10% off and two tubes. Makes them $69 each.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:28 pm

Someone I rode with on the weekend replaced his GP4000s with GP5000s, then rode over part of a glass bottle that someone up front didn't call out :roll: POP BANG instant flat and a 2.5cm gash in his fairly new rear tyre. He got to enjoy about 3 minutes of riding before that happened.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Yeah that can happen with almost any tyre though.
I've had it happen to a Vittoria Randonneur previously.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Hmm, bike mechanic mentioned my tyres are nearing end of life. I want to go from 25 to 28mm and see how they compare, my carbon rims are 16.5mm internal width and he said "I generally don't recommend 28mm tyre on a rim less than 21mm internal."

Anyone got any feedback on that? 25s do look kinda perfect for my rims. 28s may have a mild "lightbulb" effect but I don't race or descend/corner on the limit in general, but do commute on footpaths as well as weekend group rides, so added comfort would be nice.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:48 pm

Mububban wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:24 pm
Hmm, bike mechanic mentioned my tyres are nearing end of life. I want to go from 25 to 28mm and see how they compare, my carbon rims are 16.5mm internal width and he said "I generally don't recommend 28mm tyre on a rim less than 21mm internal."

Anyone got any feedback on that? 25s do look kinda perfect for my rims. 28s may have a mild "lightbulb" effect but I don't race or descend/corner on the limit in general, but do commute on footpaths as well as weekend group rides, so added comfort would be nice.
I'd go by the manufacturer's recommendations. On the Schwalbe website they have a table showing a 16mm internal width rim is good for tyres between 20 and 39mm wide.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Mububban wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:24 pm
Anyone got any feedback on that?

I've run 28's on Deep-V's (14mm internal) without any problems.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:07 pm

Hmm, lots of reports of sidewall failure on GP5000s which would be my default option after being so happy with my GP4000s. It's either a 5 star review as the great all-rounder, or a 1 star because the sidewall cut/tore/failed entirely. Not sure I want to gamble on that....

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:18 pm

Mububban wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:07 pm
Hmm, lots of reports of sidewall failure on GP5000s which would be my default option after being so happy with my GP4000s. It's either a 5 star review as the great all-rounder, or a 1 star because the sidewall cut/tore/failed entirely. Not sure I want to gamble on that....
I had a sidewall cut on a GP5k after just 700k. However it was a 25c on the rear and I didn't have any issues with a 28c on the rear nor a 25c on the front. i think you should be fine with the 28c.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:06 pm

Just ordered 2 x 28c, $85 each with free delivery. Nearly everywhere I checked online was out of stock, 99Bikes had 2 left in WA.

Fingers crossed the sidewalls survive, whenever they end up being installed.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:14 am

And a firm 'no' on the Michelin Power Roads.

930km (pretty gentle ones too for me), wear markers completely gone and wet grip completely fell off a cliff on my ride today. Couldn't push more than 300W uphill without it slipping.

Hard to fit as an added bonus. Back to Schwalbe Pro Ones.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 pm

I have a few blokes that I ride with when I can and they were Conti 4000's and now 5000;s lovers and forever getting punctures and not particularly good K's. Well if you won't to run race rubber for general riding, that's the price you will pay. :idea:

I ran the 4000's when I first got back on the bike and had plenty of punctures but after 2yrs and slightly better fitness, I went away from them and bought Rubino Pro's for less than half the cost of the 4000's. I've had two punctures in 4yrs with them and our area has plenty of glass :x and other abrasive materials, so unless you're racing on the same wheels, I don't see the point in high end rubber, especially when the Rubino's have good grip in the wet. Then at the other end of the spectrum, there is Gatorskins. :shock: Only ever had one set of those and I couldn't get rid of them quick enough, just shocking in the wet.. :evil:

But then again, I'm talking from a racer's point of view where it's train heavy race light. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 pm
I have a few blokes that I ride with when I can and they were Conti 4000's and now 5000;s lovers and forever getting punctures and not particularly good K's. Well if you won't to run race rubber for general riding, that's the price you will pay. :idea:

I ran the 4000's when I first got back on the bike and had plenty of punctures but after 2yrs and slightly better fitness, I went away from them and bought Rubino Pro's for less than half the cost of the 4000's. I've had two punctures in 4yrs with them and our area has plenty of glass :x and other abrasive materials, so unless you're racing on the same wheels, I don't see the point in high end rubber, especially when the Rubino's have good grip in the wet. Then at the other end of the spectrum, there is Gatorskins. :shock: Only ever had one set of those and I couldn't get rid of them quick enough, just shocking in the wet.. :evil:

But then again, I'm talking from a racer's point of view where it's train heavy race light. :mrgreen:

Foo

I have 10s of thousands of ks on gp4000s2 and didnt get many punctures :?
Great wear and good grip. A great tyre ime.

Yeah rubino pro 3 were good too, cheap but wore more quicky.

Have run gp5000tl tubeless on the tcr and they are great too. Got one on the back now.
Discontinued though and the replacement S TR is dear as poison. :x

Using a vittoria corsa next tlr on the front at the moment. Far more reasonably priced and good so far.

Loving road tubeless, not going back to tubes :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:09 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 pm

Foo

I have 10s of thousands of ks on gp4000s2 and didnt get many punctures :?
Great wear and good grip. A great tyre ime.

Yeah rubino pro 3 were good too, cheap but wore more quicky.

Have run gp5000tl tubeless on the tcr and they are great too. Got one on the back now.
Discontinued though and the replacement S TR is dear as poison. :x

Using a vittoria corsa next tlr on the front at the moment. Far more reasonably priced and good so far.

Loving road tubeless, not going back to tubes :wink:

I got very good wear from mine but I bought three sets when they were $21 each, so maybe when they changed things a bit later on, the quality slipped but as I said, I look at it from a racers point of view and can't see the value in the race tyres for general riding. :?: I have one left from the original buy, so I don't know what I will use next. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:14 pm

I'm quite liking the Vittoria Rubino Pro Graphene 2.0s that came with my SuperSix Evo. Bicycle Rolling Resistance rates their wet weather grip as good as the equivalent Conti GP5000s, and my experience reflects that, but so far they seem to be wearing much better and suffer fewer cuts, although I have had one penetration puncture from a glass fragment versus none for the GP5000s

According to BRR, I'm giving away about 10 watts per tyre from memory, but the road bike is used for training not racing, so I'm not especially bothered much by that, at least not until I do some kind of timed event.

It's a bigger tyre than the Conti for the same 700x25c nominal size. Width measures 28.5mm on a 21mm IW rim compared to 26mm for the Conti.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:00 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 pm
I got very good wear from mine but I bought three sets when they were $21 each, so maybe when they changed things a bit later on, the quality slipped but as I said, I look at it from a racers point of view and can't see the value in the race tyres for general riding. :?: I have one left from the original buy, so I don't know what I will use next. :?

Foo
Come down here and try your luck on the Sat 7s or Tues Mt Alex ride.
Dont bring the shallow alloy rims with a high spoke count either :P

I enjoy my riding and if I can ride a good tyre that grips and rolls well but has good puncture resistance I'm doing so.
As a side note tubeless does all that better than tubed ime, particularly the puncture resistance.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:11 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:00 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 pm

Foo
Come down here and try your luck on the Sat 7s or Tues Mt Alex ride.
Dont bring the shallow alloy rims with a high spoke count either :P

I enjoy my riding and if I can ride a good tyre that grips and rolls well but has good puncture resistance I'm doing so.
As a side note tubeless does all that better than tubed ime, particularly the puncture resistance.

:lol: :lol: Not with 703Klms in the legs I'm not. :P

So you want me to come with my Zipp Weaponry Speeds with Conti Sprinters on them? :mrgreen:

Then remind me of how many 65yr olds are in that bunch! :oops:

I'm also still to ride a high pressure tyre that feels anywhere as good as singles and that's not just me, blokes that I race with have the same feeling/experience also. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:58 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:11 am
[

:lol: :lol: Not with 703Klms in the legs I'm not. :P

So you want me to come with my Zipp Weaponry Speeds with Conti Sprinters on them? :mrgreen:

Then remind me of how many 65yr olds are in that bunch! :oops:

I'm also still to ride a high pressure tyre that feels anywhere as good as singles and that's not just me, blokes that I race with have the same feeling/experience also. :wink:

Foo
I rode my S5 with 404s on it for a couple of years on those rides. :oops:
It has no tyre clearance though and I've gone tubeless. They wont fit.
The cheapo Primes are a stronger wheel with better hubs. There aint much difference in speed.

Singles were nice to ride but too much if a pita. Prob worth it on the track? Not the road imo.
I'd rather fast, more puncture resistant and user friendly.

Yeah no 65 year olds, I am basically just hanging on as are the other old(ish) farts. :( :lol:
We have a slower gravel bunch on Wed now. That is great fun!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:07 am

What I have found which should be of no surprise. If you ran conti 25's you can run Vittoria corsa in 28. If they are any bigger it's only 1mm.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:09 am

Comedian wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:07 am
What I have found which should be of no surprise. If you ran conti 25's you can run Vittoria corsa in 28. If they are any bigger it's only 1mm.

Yeah Conti's 23's = 25mm 25's = 27mm 28's= well I never bothered after finding they wouldn't fit in me rear and to close to the top in the front as well. :roll:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:31 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:09 am
Comedian wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:07 am

Yeah Conti's 23's = 25mm 25's = 27mm 28's= well I never bothered after finding they wouldn't fit in me rear and to close to the top in the front as well. :roll:

Foo
So I've always run conti 25's. When I ordered the vittorias I realised I'd actually done a size downgrade. Painful.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:45 pm

That applies to GP4k. They were huge.
Not so much with GP5k