Perth region boundary? Where the hell is it?

twowheels

Perth region boundary? Where the hell is it?

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 am

Regarding the COVID-19 Perth region border restrictions. Born/lived/living Perth. I've not been able to find a detailed indication of where the current borders of Perth region are now. Maps I've found are very general, ie indicate colours with no better detail than where Pilbara is.
Does anyone have a link to useful map?

Of lesser personal interest Peel region, but I guess some would like to know also. In particular if yesterday's concern re Perth people flocking off to Mandurah during school hols is met with Perth/Peel checkpoint Charlie.

Thoglette

Re: Perth region boundary? Where the hell is it?

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 am

It is my recollection that Peel is being bundled into the Perth region. (Yup - see footnote on map in this ABC report)

On Maps: I'd be looking for the regional development commission of interest, who should have their map published. Here's a start(be prepared to zoom). I had a quick look at a few in detail (e.g. Peel) and they do seem to be built on existing shire boundaries (which makes a pile of sense)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 am

I had to look this one up when they announced it. I'm using Wikipedia as a guide, not saying it is correct.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_m ... tan_region

It has zero impact to us currently, as car trips are now just to the local shop, and any exercise we are allowed to do I won't be getting close to any of those borders.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Okay, so I found out Perth region is bounded by City of Wanneroo (somewhere past Yanchep), City of Swan (somewhere past Bullsbrook), Shire of Mundaring (way past Mundaring), Shire of Kalamunda, City of Armadale (way past Armadale), Town of Kwinana and City of Rockingham (way past Rockingham). Other Perth region shires/councils within these.
Don't know where the Perth region ends for example Gt Northern Hwy, Gt Eastern Hwy, Wanneroo Road.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 pm

twowheels wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Don't know where the Perth region ends for example Gt Northern Hwy, Gt Eastern Hwy, Wanneroo Road.
Around Gin Gin I believe.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 pm
twowheels wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Around Gin Gin I believe.
Not quite. I've already linked to a map. It's a bit sad that Google Maps here doesn't show regional boundaries like it does in Europe. So one has to do some actual homework.

The northernmost city/shire in Perth on that route is City of Swan, and the northernmost suburb is Bullsbrook. Whack "Bullsbrook" into Google Maps and it's very clear where the boundary is. Note that it's not even close to straight (and varies north/south by about 2km).

On GNH it's just north of Wandera Rd past the big truck bay.

Like normal there's a pretty big sign saying "welcome to the Chittering region" (and normally it's mirror in the other direction welcoming people to the place you've just left.) (Try this link to see the sign)

On Wanneroo Road around Breakwater Drive in Two Rocks. I've found that Google will show whole councils, such as City of Wanneroo, if not the whole Perth region, which makes spotting the boundaries easier.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Thx Thoglette. Yeah Google maps is the go. Can actually input Shire of ~, City of~, etc to get readily accessible results.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Another zoomable map is at https://travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Home/Map More easily found street names would be nice.

A pity that Google maps does not recognise Regions. Or at least nowhere that I have ever been able to locate.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:23 am

The Perth region is as defined in Schedule 3 of the .pdf?OpenElement]Planning and Development Act 2005 (scroll to page 229).

The Prohibition on Regional Travel Directions specifically references the above for its definitions of the regions.