National parks closed due to COVID-19

Bunged Knee

National parks closed due to COVID-19

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am

From https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/m ... nd-cycling
Closed area: All parks and reserves closed
From 26/3/2020, last reviewed 26/3/2020

​Following advice from the Tasmania Department of Health and Tasmanian Government that our community should limit unnecessary travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, the PWS has closed all national parks, reserves and campgrounds until further notice.

The PWS is calling on Tasmanian’s to support the national effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 and stay home during this time.

From midnight Thursday 26 March, PWS is temporarily closing all national parks, reserves, campgrounds and facilities to recreational and tourism use. This means that all day walks, mountain biking, fishing and tours will not be permitted. Washrooms, day use facilities, showers and visitor centres are closed until further notice.​
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

LG

Re: National parks closed due to COVID-19

Postby LG » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 am

Yes, interesting times. One of the reasons (and there are many) for closure appears to be the recent experience in NZ, while people were encouraged to stay at home, they were finding a real spike in patronage of their campgrounds and huts as people were trying to escape towns and cities, not ideal when sharing a camp kitchen or toilet/shower facility with strangers who could have been from anywhere.
LG = Low Gear

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:36 am

Campers being discouraged and pretty much to be kicked out of Nat Parks and State Forest in Vic by Police and Rangers, some will be missed, but the odd isolated camper isn't going to be much of a problem, with any luck.
Saw seven or so camps at a popular spot north of Dargo this week, minimum 50m between them, but common dunny for that spot.
Cleared out by Friday night (27/3/2020).
This is still only the start of it IMO, hopefully reported cases will peak and drop off in the next few weeks :?:

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 am

Similar problem in the US... everybody deciding "I'll be safe in the wilderness" at the same time.
Also if people do get sick out there it would put a strain on rescue resources... we only have one helicopter rescue service in Tassie, so pretty easy to knock that out with a couple of sick pilots.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Good point Trev, could close or limit operations of Helimed very quickly.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:55 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am
Closed area: All parks and reserves closed
From 26/3/2020.​
It makes sense to close national parks that are in the middle of nowhere and for the overnight walks, where groups share huts overnight.

I’m deeply unhappy that they’ve chosen to close a reserve on the edge of the city that I live in though.

It’s right across the road from my home and we rarely encounter other people there. I can do a 7-10km circuit on the bike in there and I might see two or three other people in the distance. Now it’s closed and we’re not allowed to walk or ride there.

The local road is a 60km/h zone, it has no footpaths and can be quite dangerous to walk on. So I guess we’re expected to get in the car and drive to The Gorge or Heritage Forest and take a walk in an area much more heavily infested with other people.