Cycling in/around Brisbane

Rorschach

Cycling in/around Brisbane

Postby Rorschach » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi All

Am heading to Brisbane for work between Jan and April and am planning to bring my bike. Will be living close to city centre, and wondering what cycling can be done from there?

Thanks in advance!

RonK

Re: Cycling in/around Brisbane

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:45 pm

The river loop is the most popular inner city ride, but there are plenty of routes up into the hills or out to Moreton Bay. It would be easier to explain them once you arrive and get a feel for the layout.

What kind of riding to you want to do? Are you looking for roadie training rides or easy social rides.

I suggest you get on to Meetup and look up the cycling groups.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:37 pm

RonK wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:45 pm
The river loop is the most popular inner city ride, but there are plenty of routes up into the hills or out to Moreton Bay. It would be easier to explain them once you arrive and get a feel for the layout.

What kind of riding to you want to do? Are you looking for roadie training rides or easy social rides.

I suggest you get on to Meetup and look up the cycling groups.
Thanks for that, will have a look on Meetup. Am looking for a mixture of roadie training rides and social rides, am happy to ride solo or in a group!

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 am

Hi Rorschach! Welcome (in advance!) to Brisbane... :-)

Just FYI - the Audax QLD riding community is a very active one, with (long!) rides scheduled pretty much every weekend. Plus they have a social Tuesday morning river loop.

Calendar is here: https://www.audax.org.au/portal/rides/calendar (just filter for region QLD).

Great way to see the Brisbane and surrounding hinterlands on a bike...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Abby wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 am
Hi Rorschach! Welcome (in advance!) to Brisbane... :-)

Just FYI - the Audax QLD riding community is a very active one, with (long!) rides scheduled pretty much every weekend. Plus they have a social Tuesday morning river loop.

Calendar is here: https://www.audax.org.au/portal/rides/calendar (just filter for region QLD).

Great way to see the Brisbane and surrounding hinterlands on a bike...
Thanks heaps Abby, will look into it!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Rorschach
I do some social rides on weekday mornings around Brisbane. Message me if you're interested

brandy234

Postby brandy234 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Heaps of rides to do around Brisbane.

As said, the "river loop" is the most popular.

There's also Mount Coot-Tha close to the city if you like climbing, it has two fairly steep 2km climbs - the "front" and "back". Easy to get to and usually quiet in the mornings and evenings.

Longer climbs up Mount Nebo/Mount Glorious are accessible too.

Other popular rides go north to Sandgate or Woody Point or east out to Wynnum and Manly.

As for a cycling group, I can recommend Brisbane Bike Rides who do a River loop on Thursday nights and a longer ride on Saturday mornings. They have a Facebook page.

weenielyf

Postby weenielyf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Building on OP's question, but can anyone recommend any fast bunches the ride either inner north, CBD or inner south? Now the borders are opening up, I'm going to capitalise on some sweet Brisbane riding.

Fast (with good bike handling) bunches preferred.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:28 pm

weenielyf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:28 pm
Building on OP's question, but can anyone recommend any fast bunches the ride either inner north, CBD or inner south? Now the borders are opening up, I'm going to capitalise on some sweet Brisbane riding.

5:30 from the Tom Wallace Cycles (Giant Lutwyche) shop on Thursdays.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:45 pm

weenielyf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Lifecycle does Saturday shop rides. 6:00am from the shop at the top of Highgate Hill. Two groups - one faster and one slower.

There's a weekday group from Graceville too, that has fast groups, but I don't know much about it.