[USA case as a mirror for Australia] cargo bike cming to New York

opik_bidin

[USA case as a mirror for Australia] cargo bike cming to New York

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:22 pm

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/12/03/ ... on-others/

he city will unveil its long-awaited baby step into reducing congestion from delivery trucks with a pilot program that will help Amazon, DHL, UPS and other package-trucking companies deploy nimble cargo bikes instead of massive vehicles to make deliveries, Streetsblog has learned.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/12/05/ ... -delivery/
-----------------------------

This is an important point as Australia is also trying to reform its freight industry, sadly they don't see the value of cargo bikes as my submission was dismissed (missing that last mile delivery "point" and how many deliveries will occur in congested and small places)

And the rules regarding vehicles are similar with USA, with anything more than 3 wheels illegal and assist power more than 250 W illegal, so there needs to be something to change. I have proposed a change by emailing MPs but hasn't got good results. Its good to copy what Europe are doing regarding these small vehicles \, not quite bicycle but also not quite car.

I have asked a cargo bike importer, and they said only 3 wheels is OK, and they couldn't push for more, allthough Aus post and DHL may be interested, especially since DHL has deployed Velove Armadillo in Europe.

interesting point, Velove Armadillo, a 4 wheel recumbent cargo ebike, which is illegal, is being exempted at this cargo bike experiment in new york. City of Sydney also seems interested in bringing them in to Australia, but the rules seem to be a barrier.

interesting to see how this develops

bychosis

Re: [USA case as a mirror for Australia] cargo bike cming to New York

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:24 am

You haven’t seen the Australia post electric trikes getting around?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm

bychosis wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:24 am
You haven’t seen the Australia post electric trikes getting around?
They are 3 wheels, so are covered, and trike EVs are getting in the market but 4 wheelesrs and above like Velove armadillo or Quattrovelo ebike are not covered.

Velove Armadillo

Quattrovelo
(FYI, a friend have this Quattrovelo in Newcastle, although a manual one)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:07 pm

opik_bidin wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:22 pm
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/12/03/ ... on-others/

he city will unveil its long-awaited baby step into reducing congestion from delivery trucks with a pilot program that will help Amazon, DHL, UPS and other package-trucking companies deploy nimble cargo bikes instead of massive vehicles to make deliveries, Streetsblog has learned.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/12/05/ ... -delivery/
-----------------------------

This is an important point as Australia is also trying to reform its freight industry, sadly they don't see the value of cargo bikes as my submission was dismissed (missing that last mile delivery "point" and how many deliveries will occur in congested and small places)

And the rules regarding vehicles are similar with USA, with anything more than 3 wheels illegal and assist power more than 250 W illegal, so there needs to be something to change. I have proposed a change by emailing MPs but hasn't got good results. Its good to copy what Europe are doing regarding these small vehicles \, not quite bicycle but also not quite car.

I have asked a cargo bike importer, and they said only 3 wheels is OK, and they couldn't push for more, allthough Aus post and DHL may be interested, especially since DHL has deployed Velove Armadillo in Europe.

interesting point, Velove Armadillo, a 4 wheel recumbent cargo ebike, which is illegal, is being exempted at this cargo bike experiment in new york. City of Sydney also seems interested in bringing them in to Australia, but the rules seem to be a barrier.

interesting to see how this develops
I wonder whether the importer knows something that I don't. The number of wheels isn't the stumbling block as far as I know and electric motors can be de-rated to be compliant comparatively easily too.
Road Rules (NSW) 2014 wrote:"bicycle" means a vehicle with 2 or more wheels that is built to be propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not it has an auxiliary motor), and includes--
(a) a pedicab, penny-farthing and tricycle, and
(b) a power-assisted pedal cycle within the meaning of vehicle standards, as amended from time to time, determined under section 7 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 of the Commonwealth other than one that has an internal combustion engine or engines,
but does not include--
(c) a wheelchair, wheeled recreational device, wheeled toy, or
(d) any vehicle with an auxiliary motor capable of generating a power output over 200 watts (whether or not the motor is operating), other than a vehicle referred to in paragraph (b), or
(e) any vehicle that has an internal combustion engine or engines.
There is no restriction in relation to the number of wheels to be a bicycle in NSW, as long as it has more than 1. If a vehicle is designed for human power and has a compliant motor then it is a bicycle according to this regulation.

Cheers,

Cameron

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 am

Trisled used to make a 4 wheeler aimed at factory work - moving stuff around the floor. I vaguely recall they said there wasn't a lot of interest in it, that while it could take wider loads than their load carrying trikes, not enough to make a difference.

Once a load carrier gets bigger than trike and single trailer then it's a slow car... I know from my triking experience that streets in high density areas are hard to pass me on and cars get aggro. #NotAllCars of course but you only need one idiot. Of course if I'm on the two wheeler they are passing me illegally most of the time...

I live in an inner to middle ring suburb with a lot of new blocks of flats going up. But mostly on main roads where slow cargo vehicles will get badly monstered. If allowed on footpaths same as posties are that might make a difference.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 am

ironhanglider wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:07 pm
There is no restriction in relation to the number of wheels to be a bicycle in NSW, as long as it has more than 1. If a vehicle is designed for human power and has a compliant motor then it is a bicycle according to this regulation.

Cheers,

Cameron
As best I can recall the only state in Australia that had a restricted definition of bicycle was West Australia which defined bicycles by reference to "2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles". That changed the same time as they abolished the reflective fender rule, (? 2012 ?) & now says "a vehicle with 2 or more wheels", the same as the rest of Australia.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Unicycles are not bicycles... So what are they? Can they ride on footpaths in states where footpath cycling is forbidden? Or are they a wheeled toy? A wheeled recreational device?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:28 pm

zebee wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Unicycles are not bicycles... So what are they? Can they ride on footpaths in states where footpath cycling is forbidden? Or are they a wheeled toy? A wheeled recreational device?
Yes they are wheeled recreational device, yes they can generally ride on footpaths in states where footpath cycling is forbidden. Looking to add to your collection of unusual vehicles zebee ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm

in the end,its all up tolobbying.usually Oz will copy USA, so its interesting to see how it unfolds

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZackFinkNews ... 2349038592
One of most watched pieces of big legislation is a bill legalizing e-scooters and e-bikes. So far no indication from @NYGovCuomo
on whether he will sign it. Delivery workers, who don’t really have a powerful voice in Albany, say they need this bill.
--------------
The legislation would do two things:

Legalize e-scooters, which private companies have been pushing in an effort to cash in on sharing programs.

Legalize e-bikes, a move which would immediately affect many New Yorkers.

Thousands of food delivery workers already rely on e-bikes to make deliveries, sometimes over multi-hour shifts. Advocates say those workers are often new immigrants who don't have a lot of other employment options.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:45 am

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/12/26/ ... e-e-bikes/

Gov. Cuomo has vetoed a bill that would have legalized a type of electric bike popular with much-persecuted delivery workers — a bill that passed both chambers in Albany earlier this year with barely a handful of opponents.

The veto follows months of advocacy urging the governor to sign the bill, which was sponsored by State Senator Jessica Ramos and Assembly Member Nily Rozic on behalf of thousands of delivery workers who are subject to frequent crackdowns by the NYPD because the throttle-controlled bikes they prefer are technically illegal under state law.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 am

Carla cargo trailers seem a good alternative and are available here via Dutch Cargo Bikes e-powered.