Forum Login Issues - resolved

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Login Issues - resolved

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm

There have been a few technical changes during the week and one appears to have affected forum logins.

This should now be solved, though you will probably have to log in again. If you click "remember me" then generally you won't have to log in again.

An additional helpful step is to clear your browser cookies / cache for this site.

The reason is that there are aggressive bots who flood the forum - essentially reading/scraping all of the sites and some of them overload the site and push the real visitors off... until the server overloads. Some small configuration changes are attempting to limit these aggressive bots.

If you are still having issues, you can email info@bicycles.net.au and share your member name.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Christopher (Admin)
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Login Issues - resolved

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Update: There were a few further inconsistencies... and it should be back to normal now.
Cycling is in my BNA

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Update: There were a few further inconsistencies... and it should be back to normal now.
Thanks Chris.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Good work conquering the evil Bots, well done.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum / Site Downtime

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Thank you for the messages - I would have reacted earlier but was riding my bike.

What happened? We have unfortunately been seeing massive bot attacks and although they have been essentially blocked, when they they pound the side with requests, even we the requests are rejected, it is a massive load. The tipping point is when it eats up all of the resources and pushes the site offline. Each time it starts to recover, the bots are there and pound the site and it escalates to such a point that then if the bots stop, a the resources are used up, genuine site visitors start triggering this just by visiting and it goes offline.

Because of the issues, I will be working on a technical solution to reduce the consequences of the bots and bad traffic, until then thanks for your patience.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:24 pm

I’m in again, thanks :-)