mid week crit racing - how popular where you are ?

nickobec

mid week crit racing - how popular where you are ?

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi, trying to talk my local club in running a few twilight crits at the end of the year.

There is no dedicated crit track in WA, but we do have access to a circuit that is not on the road.

However, cost is a factor and my initial suggestion was met with it was not very successful last time somebody else organised it. (A few years back and it was racing under lights, later in the evening).

So anybody who races or organises midweek races, a rough idea of numbers and compared to weekend crit races?

RobertL

Re: mid week crit racing - how popular where you are ?

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:06 am

Ipswich Cycling Club (on the western outskirts of Brisbane) have fortnightly Wednesday night crits: https://www.ipswichcyclingclub.org.au/n ... ium-racing

They have a very nice, new, floodlit crit track for it.

I haven't attended in person, but I know people who do, and they get a good turnout.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am

It's a bit difficult to fathom, ie, how long is a piece of string.

Southern Masters & Carnegie Caulfield cycling clubs all run weekly daylight-savings twilight crits over here at Sandown motor racing track/ They have very good numbers from all parts of the Melbourne metro area.

My local club (rural - combined with neighbouring clubs) run a midweek race (~40Km) during daylight savings times and the numbers vary markedly.

You won't really know until you implement the decision and see who turns out.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

A_P

Postby A_P » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 am

Gold coast CC run wed night crit over summer months , better numbers than sunday racing. Different pepole too, some of us have weekend commitments / work.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:31 pm

A_P wrote:Gold coast CC run wed night crit over summer months , better numbers than sunday racing. Different pepole too, some of us have weekend commitments / work.
That reminds me - Hamilton Wheelers in Brisbane run a Wednesday night "Twilight" series over summer. It's 6 round - 3 before Christmas and 3 after. The track they use does not have lights, so it's over before dark.

It gets a huge turnout, including some very, very good riders. For example, when I did my first race there, Strava told me that I had ridden with Jay McCarthy of Bora Hansgrohe. Actually, I'd raced in C grade and he raced in A grade, but Strava thinks it's all the same :)

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 pm

The 2 biggest clubs nearest me both run crits during daylight savings hours. Albury/Wodonga have access to a driver training race circuit on Wednesday nights, between 4 grades on average 25-30 people will turn up depending on weather. Weekend racing has been given the flick for various reasons, not enough people turn up to race, more vollies than riders, people rather do a bunch ride than race. A lot of clubs in the surrounding area are having the same issues, a few clubs have folded or just dont bother hosting races anymore. Echuca/Moama have crits on a Monday night, used to be on open roads in an industrial court, went once, was not a fan of it, they now have a new crit circuit that can be closed off around the outside of the clubs velodrome, might be worth another try. Their numbers are very good for an isolated country area, weekend racing and midweek crits can get 35-40 people.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Hawthorn CC has been running Wed night crits at the Kew Boullie teardrop circuit for years. It has grown to be a very popular event.

I used to be with HCC and had some involvement with helping run elements of their races. You can't just look at starting a new race (series) and judging attendance on initial numbers. It takes time to build participation. You also have to work at delivering a quality event. This is probably the hardest part. HCC are excellent at developing a welcoming, friendly environment. They also do a lot on handicapping and safety. You've got to promote it and develop a buzz.

Some clubs make terrible mistakes with that stuff. Like hiding the details on a page buried on their website - or worse, not publishing all the details at all. Can anyone race (with a race licence)? Is everyone welcome? What grades are there? etc. It's the little things that make a big difference. If you put the effort in, get people involved to help - it will likely succeed.

Clubs whose crits are run by grumpy Jack who is 90 years old and used to punch on when someone didn't take a turn on the front - their days are numebred.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I just needed the names of a few clubs that run mid week twilight crits and that the do have the numbers to keep running them.

Being in WA without daylight savings, racing will have to end before 7pm. Which means 6pm start at latest (and running all 5 grades on 5km technical circuit at same time)

I do not expect it to be an instant success, but I would like to run 4 races (once a fortnight) in November - December and if we can get 50 racers (we get 60 to 100+ at the club weekend crits) at the last race and they are asking when the next one is, I will count it as a success.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Marconi Cycling Clun here in Sydney runs Twlight/Crits under lights on Tuesday's for most of the year.

http://marconicyclingclub.com/component ... t/featured

They run it at the Sydney Dragway "Hotdog" circuit, which is fully lit. During Daylight Savings, they run an extended Summer Circuit, or race at Sydney Motorsport Park next door.

They only stop in the middle of winter because the condensation of dew makes the raceway incredibly slipperly due to the treatment of the dragway surface. Entire bunches have been known to go down making the hairpin turn and just sliding out.

Generally they get around 150 riders across 5 divisions.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Aaaand right on cue, Cycling Queensland starts an open-level mid week crit series: https://www.facebook.com/cyclingqueensl ... =3&theater

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 pm

nickobec wrote:Hi, trying to talk my local club in running a few twilight crits at the end of the year.

There is no dedicated crit track in WA, but we do have access to a circuit that is not on the road.

However, cost is a factor and my initial suggestion was met with it was not very successful last time somebody else organised it. (A few years back and it was racing under lights, later in the evening).

So anybody who races or organises midweek races, a rough idea of numbers and compared to weekend crit races?
The toughest thing is when winter hits, it is cold and dark, especially if you don’t have it under lights then the timing won’t work. That means timing it so people can make it in time from work. Summer is easier.

My lot would get reasonable numbers in D, C and B grade but sometimes A grade was thin. That was daylight savings though. Weather sometimes ruined it for us, either extreme heat (40°C) or high winds and even dust storms. Thunder as well had us scrambling home one evening at high speed.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:23 am

RobertL wrote:Ipswich Cycling Club (on the western outskirts of Brisbane) have fortnightly Wednesday night crits: https://www.ipswichcyclingclub.org.au/n ... ium-racing

They have a very nice, new, floodlit crit track for it.

I haven't attended in person, but I know people who do, and they get a good turnout.
I am a member of Ipswich Club and the only old school member still racing from the 70s. Wish we had of had this circuit back then. It is a very quick and free flowing circuit with the bottom corner requiring some finesse to negotiate at speed and looks easy but has a world of hurt built into it. :lol: It is very good in the wet also as on the opening day, it rained and there was not one fall. The feed back from the riders was..........This track is grippy in the wet. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:19 pm

http://www.vlcc.org.au/ in Adelaide run veteran crits on a Wednesday during daylight saving. Usually 6 grades plus 2 teams races, probably 100 riders,
Norwood Cycling club run CSA crits on a Tuesday I think and get similar numbers.

They both use a dedicated crit circuit but it forms part of the V8 race track so it gets shortened for a few weeks and is out of use for a couple of week around race time.
It would be awesome if we could have it floodlit to extend the season.