Benambra pub. So what's the worst place you've ever visited

rangersac

Re: Benambra pub. So what's the worst place you've ever visi

Postby rangersac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:46 pm

redned wrote:
thecaptn wrote:The Weldborough Hotel has a reputation now for being gourmet, it was even on one of those ABC foody docos. That's if it's the same place, how long ago was it crap?
Don't be too hard on Weldborough! I was there in 2011 and it was pretty good, even on Easter Sunday.

A good dinner even though we rode in quite late and a good range of Tasmanian small-product ciders. Maybe new management has turned it around.
The Welborough Pub is definitely worth a visit now, and is well know as being friendly towards touring cyclists. I'd still steer clear of Bronte Park though!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

MortarArt

Re: Benambra pub. So what's the worst place you've ever visited

Postby MortarArt » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Registered to remark that this info above about the Benambra Hotel is pretty out of date. At some point the pub lost it's food license, and then changed hands. The new publican is pretty hospitable; rooms are cheap, backpacker style. Meals are really good, but at city prices, and it's possible to pay $15 or so for shower access. I personally camp elsewhere in town, but have put friends up there, but I think paying for a shower means you can camp in the backyard of the pub if there's no big event on. They're closed Monday nights, but if you call ahead it can be possible to make a room booking. The general store is open every day.

There's a few cyclists in town and more coming over from Omeo these days due to the MTB park, so I think attitudes have changed a lot. Personally I love riding around the area because of how little traffic there is.
Last edited by MortarArt on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.