A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Season 10

elantra

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Season 10

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:07 pm

Wonderful result of a lot of thinking and planning and no doubt a fair bit of fudging it and problem-solving.
It looks great.
Presumably there’s a lot of fine details that will be added with every visit to there.
Cheers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:46 pm

Besides a beautiful winter morning, the other thing we woke up to on Friday was a flat tyre on the car, caused by a tiny but razor sharp piece of rock. Mrs LDR hadn't replaced the jack that broke the last time she had a flat, but one of our lovely neighbours came to the rescue. Even as I was changing the tyre visitors were arriving to welcome/stickybeak at the newest addition to Pine Street.

After entertaining what felt like half the village we eventually made our way in to Gladstone to have the flat tyre plugged and buy a new jack, and shelves for the kitchen.

The next day we were off down the valley

On some "challenging" roads-

To reach the beautiful Kroombit Tops lookout

With that it was time to bid farewell to Builyan, and make the long drive home. 390km later, there was a strange noise and....

I had regreased the hubs less than a thousand kms beforehand, and last checked on them only an hour and a half before the wheel went on a solo adventure, but apparently the wheel bearing decided its time had come and that was that! The trailer had to stay on the side of the road overnight until I got back with a flat farm trailer to rescue it the following day. From the side of Tatnell's Gap :shock:

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:47 pm

elantra wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:07 pm
Wonderful result of a lot of thinking and planning and no doubt a fair bit of fudging it and problem-solving.
It looks great.
Presumably there’s a lot of fine details that will be added with every visit to there.
Cheers
A LOT of fudging! :lol: It's come together well though, and I can't wait for the next trip up to fit the other window awning, carpet, and gutters.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:52 pm

Looking for the pic showing insulation :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:52 pm
Yeah Nah up here in Queensland insulation is an extravagance !

Some would say that a cold XXXX or 2 is the best form of insulation.

Actually I reckon that a big tarpaulin could be set up to shade the mini-house on a hot day.
That would be more than useful.
A fan would not go astray either

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:21 am

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:52 pm
The pale green/silver air cell wrap you can see in the framing photos is a combination thermal break and insulation. The wall studs are only 51mm deep, so not much room for pink batts type insulation. My main concern was keeping it warm in winter, which we didn't really get to test with the mild temperatures on this trip, but even in really cold weather I expect just an extra blanket would be quite sufficient. Keeping cool in summer is another story, the tall ceiling will probably help, and there's room for a 12v ceiling fan. Worst case scenario is I just suffer like I have in the Trottage :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:33 pm

After a bit of resting at home we were off again at the end of the week, this time to the Ipswich Railway Workshops museum.

It was a great day out all round, one of the highlights being the all Queensland made and beautifully restored 1906 Spencer motorbike

On the home front, frustration with Noosa Council's failure to do, well pretty much anything, in Kin Kin meant I headed out with my brush hook and pole saw to make the road a safer place.

In Kin Kin we're used to the spotlight being on Noosa, and that's fine as the unwritten rule is that in return for only the bare minimum of services we don't get harassed by them the way people in town do. But lately that bare minimum isn't being provided, and a lot of people are rightly angry about it. It's been 3 months since a rough as guts temporary repair was made to our road which hasn't been sorted, 4 months since we ordered a new wheelie bin, 28 months since the flood gauge last worked and so on. In the meantime, if there's something that really needs doing, and I have the capacity to do it, well it's going to get done.

At least it's still a pretty place to be.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:14 pm

It looks like beautiful spot! 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:31 pm

Since Winter was 6 we've made a tradition of climbing Mount Cooroora for sunrise once a year in winter. The aim is for a foggy morning, as the first time I saw sunrise from the summit it was so foggy it was like being at sea. The last 3 years have all been in the second week of June, but with this past June being exceptionally dry we had to wait until today for a forecast fog. I was keen to experiment with some astro shots, so we left extra early to have time before first light, starting the climb at 4:45.

The window for long exposures was surprisingly short though, long before what would be considered first light the sky was far too bright for any more astro. We made the climb in a solid 48 minutes, then immediately got our jumpers back on as the gusty westerly on the exposed summit made it much colder than the 11 degrees at the base. There wasn't much fog about, and the wind was enough to unsettle my lightweight tripod at times, but the conditions were otherwise good.

The track up the mountain is in very poor shape at the moment, and going down took almost as long as getting up. Then it was off to the Pomona servo for well earned chocolate milks and crumbed sausages :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:07 pm

Ya got some crackers there mate. We've had heavy fog here of a morning for the last week. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:46 pm

I wasn't satisfied with the amount of fog on this years sunrise daddy/daughter climb, so when a meteorologist I know flagged good conditions for heavy fog a month later I set the early alarm and off we went again. I decided not to lug the tripod up so the astro shot at halfway was a bit blurry from leaning against a rock.

We pushed on to the top at a very good pace to find the fog reached even above the 438m summit.

After waiting for a while to see if the conditions would change, we were rewarded with a clear window that allowed us to look out over the twisting ribbons of fog below.

The descent into the fog, now lit with the morning glow, was even better.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:51 pm

A good mate of mine is into four wheel driving to scenic places, and when he suggested a trip to Double Island Point I was only too happy to tag along. Queensland late winter weather is pretty hard to beat, so I'll let the photos do the talking-

On the way back south along the beach we spotted a whale putting on a show, I grabbed a couple of photos with my mobile phone at max zoom. "Not bad for a phone!" I said. "Give this a try" my mate responded, and handed me about $7,000 worth of DSLR with a 500mm lens :shock:

Can you tell which is which? :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:57 pm

And yes, there's even been a little bit of cycling! (emphasis on little, but things are moving in the right direction)

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:53 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:51 pm

…………..
On the way back south along the beach we spotted a whale putting on a show, I grabbed a couple of photos with my mobile phone at max zoom. "Not bad for a phone!" I said. "Give this a try" my mate responded, and handed me about $7,000 worth of DSLR with a 500mm lens :shock:

Can you tell which is which? :lol:
Well my guess is that the bottom pic is the one taken with the $$$ camera.

It’s a cracker of a pic.
I’m no whale expert but my impression is that there are “lots” of whales cruising up the coast this year.
At Kingscliff NSW you don’t have to be on the beach for more than ten minutes or so before you see a Whale - in the distance.
That’s when the beach conditions are calm with low swell.
When the weather is bad or the seas are big you don’t see them.
I’m not sure if that’s because they are not close to the beach when weather is rough or because it’s harder to see them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:41 pm

There's a whole lot of fitness to be regained, but I'm back into proper training now, and enjoying every minute of it :mrgreen:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:51 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:41 pm
There's a whole lot of fitness to be regained, but I'm back into proper training now, and enjoying every minute of it :mrgreen:
I've been loving the story every year, but I'm not sure the wannabe racer is accurate - farmer, father, funny guy, fotographer, enthusiastic if occasional cyclist absolutely
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:28 pm

The title is somewhat a matter of tradition, but for the next 6 months or so the needle will swing firmly back in the direction of cycling. Before the end of this summer the Warwick-Brisbane record WILL have my name on it!

This morning I was off to Boreen Point, and as waiting for thick fog to clear a little had me starting late, the planned vigorous pace had to be flat out. That was only worth a 28.4kmh average, but I'm ticking along ok on the flat, and the new Cooroy training loop will soon have the climbing legs back.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:23 pm

Strange weather for Sunday's ride, thick high-based fog at the same time as a solid northerly was blowing. It was a bit of an eerie feel but it kept the roads nice and quiet, and the temperature was very nice. As I was feeling so good during the week I headed over the Kin Kin range for the first time in a long while, out to the Mary Valley to Kandanga and Tuchekoi.

I ticked along well, stopping to stretch a couple of times, and it wasn't until about the 70km mark that my back started to get a little tight. At its worst that would happen closer to 30kms, so this is a big improvement! Doing the right things kept it under control, and I finished on 81km, just shy of 100 miles for the week. Very small steps, but steps in the right direction.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:27 pm

Off the bike, sorting out the chook shed has been on my to do list for a while, since a severe storm came through and removed half the roof. Now that I have a ride on mower, and said ride on is earning me remedial massages in exchange for mowing the massage therapist's property, I wanted better protection for "Deeredre" than just a tarp.

Did I mention the storm was 5 years ago? :lol:

An hour of work with the brush hook and what's left of the shed started to emerge.

I'm surprised anything is still upright, but the timber is well and truly rotten, so it will be a tear down and start again prospect. And if I'm starting from scratch, I'm tempted to instead make a single bedroom cottage to rent out, in which case I still won't have the mower shed I originally set out after :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:40 am

You're the King of...can't rush these things. :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:37 am

I've been a bit quiet on here because the last week or so has been mighty busy, even by my standards. And not just busy, but new and unfamiliar kinds of busy.

Mrs LDR's border collie cross kelpie Biscuit gave birth to 8 puppies (biscottinis? crumbs?) last Tuesday night. I grew up dairying and was an accomplished bovine midwife before I started high school, but when the critters are this small and numerous it's a very different situation. Happily there was very little required of me, as Biscuit sailed through the delivery and hasn't put a foot wrong since. The chirping jellybeans have about doubled in size in their first week, and young Miss Winter is well and truly smitten.

After one of the hubs on my trailer went on a solo adventure a few months ago, ruining the axle, I bought a second hand axle with hubs and wheels. It turned out to be only just long enough to fit my own wheels (one of which has a frustrating slow leak), and substantially too short to fit the newly acquired wheels, which don't leak. Now that I have a need to use the trailer at least once a week I didn't want to get the air compressor out every time, so salvaged a 20cm longer axle off an old Jim's Mowing trailer.

(Workplace health and safety at an all time high there, I did at least make a point of not getting anywhere underneath it)

4 inches each side should have been bang on, but as the new wheels and tyres are about double the width of the old ones, it meant they stuck out well past the guards. After swearing a little, I popped off to Bunnings and bought a roll of new wheel guard extension :lol:

All the bending and lifting to do the axle swap had my back a bit annoyed with me, so my hoped for 100km the next day became 72km, but with lovely weather and views.

The return of cooler foggy mornings kept me off the bike on a couple of days.

With the kids on school holidays, after a morning hit on the Cooroy training loop I took us up to Tin Can Bay for lunchtime fish and chips,

then to Searey's Creek near Rainbow Beach,

and finally burning off the byproduct of the continued clearing work around the old chook shed at home.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:41 am

I'm surprised that you didn't measure the axle width so that you had the correct size, now you can make another trailer I guess. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km