Hammerhead Karoo 2 GPS

warthog1

Re: Hammerhead Karoo 2 GPS

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:22 pm

DCRainmaker has a review for those interested.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/05/ham ... grade.html
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue May 21, 2024 11:14 am

^^^
I don't know where that correlation with the KKK came from!
Spoke with CCACHE earlier (where the Karoo 3 is $749), it is "odd news" to them, too. The name as we know it, Karoo 3, may come across as potentially onerous and inflammatory in the perennially strife-prone US market, but in Australia? No. Karoo 3 it is, now that the Karoo 2 has been discontinued (though still serviced/updated).

I note that DCRainmaker made a few very telling comments in his review wrap-up, among them the K3 is not particularly faster than the 2, and screen brightness was the weakest of the three units tested in parallel in varying illumination (TL:DR; it took a while to get to that point of reading! :lol: ).
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:14 am
^^^
I don't know where that correlation with the KKK came from!
Forth paragraph down in the same DC Rainmaker review you read :lol:

"Except, technically, it’s not called the ‘Karoo 3’, but rather just the ‘Karoo’. Hammerhead is specifically concerned about associations with the term ‘K3’ and its connection in some regions to a bunch of dumb white-sheet-wearing morons."

Note on Hammerhead website it is called Karoo (no mention of Karoo 3).
https://www.au.hammerhead.io/products/karoo

But yes, I would imagine that most people will call it K3 to avoid confusion with the long obsolete original Karoo.

CCache has sold out of the K2 models at $319, and there are still a couple of sites advertising stock of K2 for $398-415, which is still a good price. On the Hammerhead website any reference to the original RRP of $639, sale price $470 (I opened it the same day I got the email announcing the new Karoo) is gone and now it just says $750. Not sure if that was a glitch when they "converted" the K2 page to Karoo ?

According to the DCR review, the K2 units are in short supply because HH stopped making them 6 months ago, and has been stockpiling the new model ready for launch. Certainly nothing in the review that got me even mildly interested in updating to the new one - hopefully my K2 keeps going for several years to come.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed May 22, 2024 10:47 am

I did see that commentary about Hammerhead's 'concerns', but it still struck me as left-of-field. Is the term K3 really a pointed reference here to the silly buggers playing 'BOO--! "? What would the term K9 correlate with? Heaven forbid it isn' t something the world could do without...

Meanwhile, my LBS in Geelong - - the one I specifically favour over the others I avoid - - doesn't stock any computers now. Changed hands, being dressed up, family-oriented; lots of Trek bikes, but thin on serious accessories, and especially computers. :(
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']