Moron Motorists #3

g-boaf

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:50 pm

What is it with old BA Falcons, tuned up with front up in the air, back dropped to the ground:

https://youtu.be/VMaONi4sUO8?si=3YxEZWTT5ffJL_R0&t=485

And can't seem to negotiate a corner without ending up off the road. :roll:

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:13 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:50 pm
What is it with old BA Falcons, tuned up with front up in the air, back dropped to the ground:

https://youtu.be/VMaONi4sUO8?si=3YxEZWTT5ffJL_R0&t=485

And can't seem to negotiate a corner without ending up off the road. :roll:
You don’t see many old Falcons still on the roads these days… maybe because they get flogged and mistreated….amazing to think that for most of the ‘80’s and some of the’90’s they were Australia’s top selling car

And the future is … I fear to think of all the unroadworthy dual cab Utes that will be passed down the line to P-platers in the next decade- or 2

At least they can’t go quite as fast as Falcons and Commodores can- in the wrong hands.

Had a scare today- while on the pedestrian crossing, walking.
Mr Motorist in his big new dual cab ute gave a quality moron display.
By driving quickly on the main shopping precinct of Murwillumbah at lunchtime (when there are cars and people everywhere) and failing to see that there is a person on the pedestrian crossing. Necessitating hard braking (presumably not autonomous braking ?)

In your defence (perhaps) is the fact that another muppet had parked a Landcruiser too close to the pedestrian crossing, reducing your visibility.

But still you probably knew that there is a mini-roundabout only 25 metres past the ped crossing. This mini roundabout is ALWAYS well and truly blockaded by traffic at peak periods so gunning your motor car towards it at 50 km/hr was pure nonsense even if no one is on the crossing !

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:50 am

elantra wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:13 am
And the future is … I fear to think of all the unroadworthy dual cab Utes that will be passed down the line to P-platers in the next decade- or 2

At least they can’t go quite as fast as Falcons and Commodores can- in the wrong hands.
Cant go as fast but handle a whole lot worse and tend to be fitted with tyres suited for off road that are terrible in the wet.

I have all terrain tyres fitted to my dual cab 4wd. On a wet hill start I literally cannot go more than an idle in 1st gear and it will often let go in 3rd under power.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:24 am

bychosis wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:50 am
elantra wrote:

Cant go as fast but handle a whole lot worse and tend to be fitted with tyres suited for off road that are terrible in the wet.

I have all terrain tyres fitted to my dual cab 4wd. On a wet hill start I literally cannot go more than an idle in 1st gear and it will often let go in 3rd under power.
Mickey Thompsons?
I had some ATZs that were like that. Got rid of them. Have Nitto Trail Grapplers now. They grip very well on wet tarmac.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:44 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:24 am
bychosis wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:50 am
elantra wrote:

Mickey Thompsons?
I had some ATZs that were like that. Got rid of them. Have Nitto Trail Grapplers now. They grip very well on wet tarmac.
BF Goodrich. Have also had some, admittedly old, Hancooks with the same issue. The cheapest Terra Firma ones I've used seem a lot better
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:34 pm

Seems like we have the local rotary pest back again, accompanied by his Harley motorbike protection detail that ensures nobody gets too close. :roll:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:51 pm

bychosis wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:44 am

BF Goodrich. Have also had some, admittedly old, Hancooks with the same issue. The cheapest Terra Firma ones I've used seem a lot better
Bugger. I was considering BFG all terrain KO3 for my next tyre. They are well regarded on the 4wd forum I am on and a good balance of traction and wear.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:34 pm
Seems like we have the local rotary pest back again, accompanied by his Harley motorbike protection detail that ensures nobody gets too close. :roll:
Noisy buckets of snot are a pita I agree :x

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:27 pm

Brought to you today by Captain Obvious:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... dca7d7a478
and of course motorists treat cyclists like s##t because we're using even smaller vehicles. Duh!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:35 pm

Yep, saw that one. I guess car drivers (of smaller vehicles) get to know what it feels like for us riders. :|

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:11 am

Latest moron motorists, Ferrari 488 and 911 GT3 driver and a Yamaha motorbike rider joining the street racing:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ferrari-p ... ded-hoons/

And the comments are already excusing the drivers/rider. Not sure how they justify excusing 169km/h in an 80km/h zone. :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:25 pm

Another day another moron - the child on board sticker was in the wrong place - should have been on their aiming wheel, not rear window
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:49 pm

As I was taking my daughter to school today I spotted one driver causing a big delay at the stop sign next to the school zone, not moving away when the road was completely clear.

Because she was putting in eyedrops. How people think that is appropriate I have no idea. Not only completely failing to pay attention to the road, but also the fact that your vision tends to go a bit sketchy for a while after putting in eyedrops. And in a school zone.

This actually worries me more on the bike than deliberate close passes. Idiots who would kill you simply because 'paying attention to what they're actually doing while driving' is way down in their list of priorities. They'll get away with it too.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:28 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:49 pm

This actually worries me more on the bike than deliberate close passes. Idiots who would kill you simply because 'paying attention to what they're actually doing while driving' is way down in their list of priorities. They'll get away with it too.
Absolutely. "I didn't see him" seems to absolve drivers of liability most of the time.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:03 pm

"An unlicensed driver has been arrested after posting videos of himself allegedly driving at almost triple the speed limit, police say."

Car impounded but think in story I originally read only for 1 month

https://www.9news.com.au/national/hoon- ... 3d77f58ae9

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:23 pm

redsonic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:28 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:49 pm

Absolutely. "I didn't see him" seems to absolve drivers of liability most of the time.
Agreed. People not paying attention to the job at hand, whilst driving their vehicle, is a huge problem for us vulnerable road users. :x
It just doesn't seem like it is being addressed with any sort of seriousness, given the potential serious consequences it imposes on other road users.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:37 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:03 pm
"An unlicensed driver has been arrested after posting videos of himself allegedly driving at almost triple the speed limit, police say."

Car impounded but think in story I originally read only for 1 month

https://www.9news.com.au/national/hoon- ... 3d77f58ae9
The other article before, most of the comments didn't seem to find any issue with exceeding the speed limit by enormous amounts. So I suppose same applies here. :roll:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:23 pm
Agreed. People not paying attention to the job at hand, whilst driving their vehicle, is a huge problem for us vulnerable road users. :x
It just doesn't seem like it is being addressed with any sort of seriousness, given the potential serious consequences it imposes on other road users.
Yeah, it isn't.

The problem is the law currently treats hitting (and killing) a cyclist with the same degree of severity as hitting a car, or even a post.

Apparently because people are generally charged on degree of neglect rather than the actual consequences. And the same mistake that kills a cyclist only causes minor panel damage to a car. There needs to be something sorted out officially in regards to this, but there appears to be a complete lack of will to do so.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:55 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:38 pm

Yeah, it isn't.

The problem is the law currently treats hitting (and killing) a cyclist with the same degree of severity as hitting a car, or even a post.

Apparently because people are generally charged on degree of neglect rather than the actual consequences. And the same mistake that kills a cyclist only causes minor panel damage to a car. There needs to be something sorted out officially in regards to this, but there appears to be a complete lack of will to do so.
We had a young bloke here killed a few years back. The driver sent a number of texts whilst driving prior to hitting and killing him. I am unsure if it was proven she was doing so at the time. No custodial sentence.

Your summary is correct I reckon.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:41 pm

A cyclist was struck by a car in a hit and run in Mt Gambier on 31st July. He ended up being flown to Adelaide with broken ribs, punctured lung and fractured collarbone. He still managed to ID the car (CCTV also helped) and, from the bonnet where he landed, saw that the driver had a child on his lap:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-07/ ... /104197146

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:53 am

redsonic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:41 pm
A cyclist was struck by a car in a hit and run in Mt Gambier on 31st July. He ended up being flown to Adelaide with broken ribs, punctured lung and fractured collarbone. He still managed to ID the car (CCTV also helped) and, from the bonnet where he landed, saw that the driver had a child on his lap:

Seems the driver has a dodgy driving record. Also fled from police when they tried to stop him.

42 years old and not a brain cell to be seen .....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:32 am

redsonic wrote:

I'm sure the driver will get away with it. Doubt any prison time for that.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:15 am

Saw a video short that I can't find again. UK motorbike rider had a car pull out slowly in front across his path. Both stopped, motorbike headlight shining in the drivers face.

As the driver slowly moved off the bike rider opened his rear door and rode away. Interesting punishment!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:26 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:32 am
redsonic wrote:

I'm sure the driver will get away with it. Doubt any prison time for that.
Apparently Rohan faced court again the other day re earlier charges resulting from the passing of Melissa Hoskings as prosecution had completed their investigation.
In a hearing in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday, prosecutor Talia Costi confirmed that police would pursue charges of causing death by dangerous driving and driving without due care.
The death by dangerous driving charge alone carries a maximum term if 15 years.

Will be back in court on 30th October

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:43 am

bychosis wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:15 am
Saw a video short that I can't find again. UK motorbike rider had a car pull out slowly in front across his path. Both stopped, motorbike headlight shining in the drivers face.

As the driver slowly moved off the bike rider opened his rear door and rode away. Interesting punishment!
most newer cars auto-lock doors after they exceed 30/40km/h for the first time