Current weather obs

warthog1

Re: Current weather obs

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:51 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:46 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:08 am

I would be going for the kickr core which is a wheel off trainer rather than the one you linked. Quieter and no tyre wear.
https://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-kickr-c ... lsrc=aw.ds

The shop where my TCR came from ditched the Core trainer because of the need to remove and replace wheels on so many bikes. It was there one day, gone and replaced by the Rollr 3 days later.

It is certainly lighter than the Rollr (22.7kg), but it is suitable for 11-speed max cassettes; mine is 12 speed (byline: SRAM is working on 13 speed cassettes). I'm not fond of removing the wheel so frequently for trainer use. YMMV, but for me, I keep it clean and simple...

The Rollr would be stored downstairs but has to be transported upstairs for use due to space limitations. Good load bearing exercise! :lol:

Weatherwise, the rain stopped a while ago now; all drying out in calm but crisp air, still heavily overcast.
I think I'll head out leisurely for "...a succulent chinese meal..." :lol: :lol:

=> https://youtu.be/XebF2cgmFmU?si=NNIK-CZ5_8Va1qb0

https://www.99bikes.com.au/trainer-acce ... o_s=gsurau

It is certainly possible. I can't remember if mine came with a sram freehub as I run shimano.
I am sure what you are getting will still do the job.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:36 pm

I usually buy what I am familiar with or which is easy to set up, hence the simpler Rollr. All I want to do, as simply and as easily as I can is to keep the wheels turning in drack weather, rather than go out and make myself miserable in the cold and potentially wet.
I could always go for a long walk, of course, but I enjoy the riding more!

At the mo' I'm having a breather, straight in the door from all of a dry 4.26km ride, my hands are cold and my eyes a bit watery! :?
No wind, but it is definitely cold now, with a touch of drizzle. I think this pitifully tiny bit of riding will have to do for now. :oops:
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP
2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:40 am

Another day of cold, dark and rain. :cry:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:31 am

Would it be more cost and maintenance effective if one was to buy a used cheap roadie and have on a set of rollers or trainers all the time to save having to set it up often when the weather is crap.....all you need to do is to keep some level of fitness up but it's not going to be the bike you'll have outside so doesn't matter if it looks like crap.....as long as it works and does the job. That's just the way I'm looking at it.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:08 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:31 am
Would it be more cost and maintenance effective if one was to buy a used cheap roadie and have on a set of rollers or trainers all the time to save having to set it up often when the weather is crap....
It is a lot more time efficient to have a bike permanently set up on a trainer.

But the better option is the dedicated smart bikes like the Wahoo Kickr Bike - much quieter and no messy cassettes or chains to muck around with. Multiple people can use them because the fit / size can be easily changed.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:19 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:08 am
brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:31 am
Would it be more cost and maintenance effective if one was to buy a used cheap roadie and have on a set of rollers or trainers all the time to save having to set it up often when the weather is crap....
It is a lot more time efficient to have a bike permanently set up on a trainer.

But the better option is the dedicated smart bikes like the Wahoo Kickr Bike - much quieter and no messy cassettes or chains to muck around with. Multiple people can use them because the fit / size can be easily changed.
I have bikes coming out my ears. :oops: They are set to fit me. The adjustability of a smart bike is simply not required as I am the only one using it.
My kickr core and 11s shimano equipped bike is quiter than the fan in front of it. I listen to music on my phone speaker whilst using zwift. The whole setup is quiet enough for that to be easily listenable. Noise is not an issue. I have swapped 1 chain in the few years I have used that bike on the trainer. A smart bike may be nicer. I haven't used one. They are a nicety not a necessity though and $$$.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:59 am

I slept in, intentionally, opened the blinds to be greeted with grey skies, a definite chill in the air and cars splashing over a flooded road! It looks like this will continue all week.

Now back from a morning walk, all rugged up and still cold, and of note, nothing has stopped a crew of house demolishers knocking down not one, but four 1970s-era homes recently ordered demolished because of asbestos. Item? Those boys are proper dressed: shorts, singlets, a beanie and work gloves! :o They must have started very early, as two homes have been levelled where they were standing (minus their roof) yesterday afternoon... :shock:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:01 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:19 am

I have bikes coming out my ears. :oops: [...]

Out of...?
Y'know that bicycles as ear rings are available for that extra-special cyclepathic finishing touch, hmm? :lol:

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/5178954 ... ch_click=1

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:11 am

Too old for pierced ears and it would be like putting a brass door knob on a dunny door with a head like mine. :?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:43 am

Cooler but drier than yesterday on the east side of Port Phillip; yesterday it dribbled pretty much constantly all day, while today so far we've only had a couple of brief showers, and as I type it's clear & sunny, and not a lot of breeze.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:15 am

Well, June was a cracker in Brisbane - we had only 4 days that were not either cloudless (21 days) or mostly sunny (another 5 days). Some mornings were cold though, dipping to 3° according to my bike computer.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:21 am

Finally blue skies on a day off here. About to get a ride in. Cbfed with drivers today. On the gravelly. :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:47 pm

Holidays are now in session! :P

On again, off again drizzle and cloud for most of today in the Deep South. No wind to speak of, but the biting cold is felt from 3.30pm onwards. Yesterday's weather was a shocker: cold, rain, sleet, hail, whipping winds, a bit of sun thrown in... rinse and repeat!! :shock:

Recovering from a huge family dinner yesterday. Bushwalking tomorrow, so the next ride is scheduled for Wednesday - - coinciding with the morning temp dipping to 1°c! Well, it is July... I can keep everything warm and in check, but still have not found a way to stop watery eyes in the cold! :(

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:33 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:47 pm
Holidays are now in session! :P

On again, off again drizzle and cloud for most of today in the Deep South. No wind to speak of, but the biting cold is felt from 3.30pm onwards. Yesterday's weather was a shocker: cold, rain, sleet, hail, whipping winds, a bit of sun thrown in... rinse and repeat!! :shock:

Recovering from a huge family dinner yesterday. Bushwalking tomorrow, so the next ride is scheduled for Wednesday - - coinciding with the morning temp dipping to 1°c! Well, it is July... I can keep everything warm and in check, but still have not found a way to stop watery eyes in the cold! :(
Sometimes I think a good brisk walk in days like that are better than the ride......yesterday I took the new Trek Mtn bike for a blast on a trail not far from me and turned back after just 1.5kms as it was 13C outside but felt like 6C.....had a real icy feel to it and wasn't pleasant so I came home...total ride 2.8kms hahahaha came inside for the heater.....bugger it...i'll go for a walk later and take a thick jacket, gloves and beanie
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:25 pm

It's a still & clear cold one in Melbourne tonight. Right now as I type (just on 9:30 pm) it's 2.5 deg. outside in my near-coastal suburb, where the nearby water is supposed to have a moderating effect. Localised predicted overnight low is -2....I'll see on the morning what I got, but in any case I'm anticipating a decent layer of ice on my windscreens tomorrow.....

EDITED: It dropped a degree between when I started writing and submitting!
Last edited by Duck! on Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:27 pm

Right so here's a weird one. This morning, Palm Beach area in Sydney. Big hail storm. Winter hail, in the morning! What gives?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:30 pm

Yes 3c here in central vic. -1 in the morn they say. Clear skies when I went out to pee on the lemon tree, so maybe so.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:22 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:27 pm
Right so here's a weird one. This morning, Palm Beach area in Sydney. Big hail storm. Winter hail, in the morning! What gives?
What the heck??? :shock:

I'm in the south west of Sydney (land of real wealth and power, haha) and we had some rain showers, sunshine then rain but nothing much else. And cold! it's again rainy and cold outside now.