Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

BobtheBuilder

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:49 am

DavidS wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:26 pm

Yep, I consider it a fine prevention device, it is all any of my helmets have been useful for.
I think that's how many think about them. Interestingly, on another thread here, I asked a few years ago what personal safety strategies people think are most effective and in 50 posts no-one mentioned helmets.

I think people have got the relentless messaging about how vital helmets are - and, if asked directly, will say, sometimes with great vehemence, that helmets are essential safety equipment.

But if you ask neutrally about what safety equipment is most important, helmets don't come into it. (Personally, I think rear mirrors are by far the most important safety feature for on-road riding - I would never have a bike without one)

This, to me, underscores the importance of challenging the dominant public understanding in Australia about helmets being absolutely for all types of bicycling. Without that, I can't see a pathway to legislative change to MHLs.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:24 pm

DavidS wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:26 pm
Yep, I consider it a fine prevention device, it is all any of my helmets have been useful for.
I'm permanently on blood thinners for a heart condition, which greatly increases the chance of a bleed on the brain in the event of a head injury, so these day my helmet is much more than a FPD for me. Having said that, though I'd mostly wear it anyway, I'm still strongly pro choice. In general I think that most people are better at making sensible choices about their own personal level of risk than many of the pro MHL crowd give them credit for.
I don't want to be forced to wear hi vis either, but I reckon lights are better anyway.
No please not mandatory. I often wear hi-viz and it does make me feel a bit safer, but I do have mixed feeling about wearing it sometimes. I'm sure that it helps protect against being taken out by someone who straight out doesn't see you, but weirdly it almost seems to make deliberate close passes (and other forms of aggression from motorists) more prevalent.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:54 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:49 am

This, to me, underscores the importance of challenging the dominant public understanding in Australia about helmets being absolutely for all types of bicycling. Without that, I can't see a pathway to legislative change to MHLs.
You’ve scored a perfect right there. It’s irrelevant what 10 or 20 cyclists think of MHL’s. It’s what the public at large sees and believes. They’re the votes that count. And the public at large believes that not wearing a helmet is stupid, dangerous or just illegal depending on how cyclists affect their lives.