Riding up to Mt Wellington

purple

Riding up to Mt Wellington

Postby purple » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I am going to visit Hobart with my bike. I am thinking to ride up to Mt Wellington.

If I am going to do this in a Saturday or Sunday Morning, what will be the best time to start in Salamanca Place?

I want to avoid the traffic and If this route okay for solo ride?

Will someone want to do this with me together?

m@

Re: Riding up to Mt Wellington

Postby m@ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Definitely no problem riding solo. You'll have plenty of company anyway on a weekend morning, especially below the Springs with MTB'ers on their way to the North-South track as well as the roadies heading for the summit.

There's at least one organised group ride on weekends - one leaves from Ken Self IIRC; maybe give them a call if you're interested in joining a group.

I've never had much trouble with traffic on way up, just keep your speed in check and watch out for oncoming cars overtaking on blind corners on the way down. Early will be better than later for traffic, and don't forget that Salamanca Market will be on Saturday morning, so riding along Salamanca Place won't exactly be an option ;)

Looks like pretty much perfect weather, I'm a bit jealous :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

purple

Re: Riding up to Mt Wellington

Postby purple » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for the info. Can someone give me some information about joining the group please? I would prefer a group ride since I haven't done that before.

Also, is there any night group ride around Hobart during weekday?