New road bike. What's your desire ?

davehirst

Re: New road bike. What's your desire ?

Postby davehirst » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Does an aero bike still deliver if you are on the hoods most of the time,?
on my Saturday group rides it is rare to see anyone get into an aero type position

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:12 am

Hmm, didn't realise the gravel bikes were getting that light:

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/gravel-bik ... e=R121_P01

7.5kg - nice and the price isn't totally mad for what it is. I don't need a gravel bike however.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:38 pm

I'm sort of liking the look of the Lauf Uthald for my road bike replacement currently.

Sure, it's a bit whacky but endurance focussed, light (I reckon you'll be down around 7.5kg for a 'small') and components are decent - Force AXS, Zipp 303S, 32mm tyres and carbon everything with a dual sided power meter. Works out to $7300 delivered plus whatever the government stings you in GST for that.

Well, with my history I should probably just buy a Specialized or Trek with local support but I like it! Comes in red, too.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:25 pm

If I was buying an endurance bike in that price range, I would probably choose the Giant Defy, it's endurance but not too relaxed geometry and pretty light, no ISO speed or future shock. You are fairly limited by stem choice I believe due to the D shape steerer. Warranty is good, my friend had a 2015 Defy frame warrantied in 2022.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:38 pm
I'm sort of liking the look of the Lauf Uthald for my road bike replacement currently.
You sure you want to go that way?

Stay away from boutique manufacturers and stick with mainstream brands that won't disappear overnight.

I'm sure you could get any number of normal road bikes that will give you the comfort you want and durability.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Mr Purple wrote:

Sure, it's a bit whacky but endurance focussed, light (I reckon you'll be down around 7.5kg for a 'small') and components are decent - Force AXS, Zipp 303S, 32mm tyres and carbon everything with a dual sided power meter. Works out to $7300 delivered plus whatever the government stings you in GST for that.

Well, with my history I should probably just buy a Specialized or Trek with local support but I like it! Comes in red, too.

GST + 10% so around $750 to $800, plus the delivery and insurance if coming from overseas, and the retailer margin!
And we wonder why bikes not only look expensive, but are by the time we plant our bums on the saddle...

Never heard of that brand before. We don't have a shortage of goodies for endurance-focus in the big name bikes currently available, so what is it exactly that tickles you, beside the Force AXS and 'carbon everything' (note the Force AXS is a spider-integral power meter and the crankset is also one-piece, so when that wears out, you are up for replacing the power meter too ... not exactly cheap, but it will come down over time — well, that's what they say! :lol: ).

BAUM (titanium) is worth a look. He has built endurance frames. But you'll be looking at a price 2x to 3x-plus over the Lauf-Uthald... :shock:
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:00 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:35 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
You sure you want to go that way?

Stay away from boutique manufacturers and stick with mainstream brands that won't disappear overnight.

I'm sure you could get any number of normal road bikes that will give you the comfort you want and durability.
Yeah, no. I like it but being able to walk into the Trek dealership nearby at any time is too much of an advantage.

I suspect I'll end up on a Madone. But will await the results of a bike fit first.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Madone (the new one) is very, very nice.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:45 pm

I personally find the new Madone fairly underwhelming, not super light and only competitively aero if you are using their special bottles.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:09 pm
The more I think about it the more suitable it is.

It’s not spectacularly light, but is light enough, aero enough and the spec is good for the price. No PM on the Ultegra SL but it’s $3-4k cheaper than the SL8/Aethos.

Plus the Trek shop is around the corner and they greet me by name when I walk in.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:22 pm

Good if the shop are nice to deal with and nearby, that is a positive.
I hate that seat post-seat stay junction, but you can't see it when you are riding it.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:27 pm

blizzard wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:25 pm
If I was buying an endurance bike in that price range, I would probably choose the Giant Defy, it's endurance but not too relaxed geometry and pretty light, no ISO speed or future shock. You are fairly limited by stem choice I believe due to the D shape steerer. Warranty is good, my friend had a 2015 Defy frame warrantied in 2022.

Yeah Trek and Specialized need to ditch ISO Speed and Future Shock. Both date back to the days of narrow and high pressure tyres. They are pointless these days and just add unnecessary weight and complexity and also create potential unreliability.

I really like the geometry of the Look 765 Optimum.

https://www.lookcycle.com/ie-en/product ... 65-optimum

Availability in Australia is a problem though.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:22 pm
Good if the shop are nice to deal with and nearby, that is a positive.
I hate that seat post-seat stay junction, but you can't see it when you are riding it.
I've seen a few pics of broken seat posts with the new madone. I'm not a lightweight. A design like that is never happening

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:14 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:09 pm
The more I think about it the more suitable it is.

It’s not spectacularly light, but is light enough, aero enough and the spec is good for the price. No PM on the Ultegra SL but it’s $3-4k cheaper than the SL8/Aethos.

Plus the Trek shop is around the corner and they greet me by name when I walk in.
Otherwise if you want long distance comfort there is Heroïn bikes, and absolutely nobody else will have one. The price on the other hand.... :shock:

https://www.heroin-bikes.com/configurateur-hr-custom

You can always dream. :oops: Those I have seen in real life and was offered by the company to ride one for a day, but decided to stick with my own bike. That was stupid, the test bike was fitted with Lightweight Meilensteins! :shock: They had a whole fleet of them built like that.

French brand but made in Italy.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:59 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Hahaha. Wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:41 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:59 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Hahaha. Wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole.
On what factual grounds (on those bikes) aside from just stirring?

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
I used to work with Liebherr excavators, whenever we had problems with them, the company rep would remind us they were German designed, French built machines.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Would you buy a Renault or Peugeot that was built in Italy?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:37 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:09 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Would you buy a Renault or Peugeot that was built in Italy?
I asked you to provide factual evidence against those bikes, which you aren't doing. You are just arguing for the sake of it.

You started this, so you show what exactly fails on those bikes.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:46 am

As a doctor I’m not sure I should try importing something called ‘heroin’.

I would consider a Time Alpe D’Huez though. By all reports amazing build quality and the woven carbon is stunning.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:48 am

Giant have great warranty support and make more carbon frames than anyone else. Merida are second I believe.
Many other brands have their frames manufactured by those 2 companies.
You don't get exclusivity but you are buying from those with expertise.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:18 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:48 am
Giant have great warranty support and make more carbon frames than anyone else. Merida are second I believe.
There is definitely an argument to walk into a Giant dealership and buy a Defy Advanced Pro 0 or TCR Advanced Pro 0 for $8k or so.

Both are light, aero and great value. The TCR looks to be about 7.3kg, the Defy a few hundred grams heavier.

Definitely something to consider.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:32 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:46 am
As a doctor I’m not sure I should try importing something called ‘heroin’.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:28 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:18 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:48 am
There is definitely an argument to walk into a Giant dealership and buy a Defy Advanced Pro 0 or TCR Advanced Pro 0 for $8k or so.

Both are light, aero and great value. The TCR looks to be about 7.3kg, the Defy a few hundred grams heavier.

Definitely something to consider.

Defy is not top shelf. The TCR has three levels — 0, 1 & 2 (SRAM Force / option for SRAM RED at additional cost), SRAM Rival) and also Di2. On the all-electronic transmission TCRs, The frame is plugged in several places where Di2 cabling would otherwise be routed.
The TCR...Advanced Pro Disc 0-AR (SRAM Force) is frequently discounted; it was around $6,700 last time I looked.
This is a big saving on its entry price last December when it was considerably more than $8,000! I get a lot of comments about the very slender front-on profile of the forks — teardrop shape — narrow and rounded at the front, squared at the rear. And I don't put any emphasis on 'aero' — what what hairy legs, a beard and a mullet! :lol: :lol:
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:33 am

Choice depends on the result of my bike fit - if a Defy is easier to make work than a TCR I'd go the Defy.

We'll see! I'm getting old but still pretty strong provided my left shoulder sorts itself out quickly. Sick of riding folded up on an undersized frame though.