Tubeless roadbike tyres

Mr Purple

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:17 am

I find TPU tubes excellent. As a spare while riding tubeless, because they take up very little space and weigh next to nothing.

I did run them for a while regularly as tubes. They seem a little fussy - nice and light and roll well, but very easy to get a small puncture while installing. Which is a pain when they're so expensive.

I've actually stopped carrying a pump on the road bike because every single mini pump I've bought doesn't actually work for pumping up tyres. Half considering one of the electric ones, otherwise carry a CO2 cannister.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:30 am

I've been running tubeless on the road since 2020, but am considering going back to tubes (TPU). Tubeless was great when I was doing 7000km annually but in the last year I only did 1000km on the road bike, and it sometimes 0kms for weeks. The maintenance with tubeless is a pain for the kms I ride. Seeing I got 10000km after the last set of tyres, and have just put new ones on, it might still be a while until I swap back (if at all).

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:36 am

Yep, that is one occasion I definitely wouldn't recommend tubeless.

Because I get 1500km to a tyre anyway, and do around 200km a week between my two outdoor bikes, going tubeless makes absolutely no difference to my maintenance schedule.

For an occasionally used bike or minimal mileage it would be hard to justify.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:44 pm

My old TCR is hanging around unridden now. Still tubeless, done about 25k km tubeless. Not worried about maintaining the sealant in it. If I ride it again I carry a spare tube anyway. Very unlikely to get a double puncture. I'll just whip the tube out when I get back and replenish then.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:13 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:17 am
I find TPU tubes excellent. As a spare while riding tubeless, because they take up very little space and weigh next to nothing.

I did run them for a while regularly as tubes. They seem a little fussy - nice and light and roll well, but very easy to get a small puncture while installing. Which is a pain when they're so expensive.

I've actually stopped carrying a pump on the road bike because every single mini pump I've bought doesn't actually work for pumping up tyres. Half considering one of the electric ones, otherwise carry a CO2 cannister.
I went the other way and got a compact pump. Once I’m out of CO2 I’m buggered and could be way out of town. I take a couple of TPU tubes as spares. Two probably weigh as much as one butyl tube. I’ve also tried running 32mm tubeless but they felt a bit sluggish and heavy. Gone back to 28mm GP5000’s for now.
2023 Specialized Aethos.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:37 am

Topeak racerocket hp for a pump and a CO2 bulb and head held on with elastic band, in a small drawstring bag (glasses bag I think).
Both easily fit in a jersey pocket. Spare CO2, tube and levers in the saddle bag.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:15 pm

BRR's latest test results of the Vittoria Corsa Pro Control TLR 34mm

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... control-34

Seems to be matching a recent trend of completely mislabelling the width.

Measured at 31mm :shock: And tested as quite draggy !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:50 pm

It is measured on a 17.8mm rim width. Very narrow and not what Vittoria would be expecting that tyre to be run on I assume.
Wouldn't be surprised if it measured over 34mm on my 25mm int width WR50s

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:29 pm

Tyre widths are all designed around a nominal rim width, which increases with tyre size. As best as I can find from a quick Google search if the manufacturer follows the ISO standard, 25mm and 28mm are designed to fit a 19mm rim. A 29mm-30mm tyre is designed for a 21mm rim.

The result is a 28mm tyre on 21mm rim is only going to be marginally smaller than a 30mm tyre on the same rim.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:04 am

Good info, thanks. :)

I have done just that with 28-30 on my WR50s, 25mm int and hookless.
The 28 was ~31 and the 30 ~31mm. Schwalbe pro ones. At least in that model there is still a difference. The 30mm are noticeably wider and come in a bigger box.
Loving the wider tyres at lower pressure.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:15 pm

Found this that you may or may not have seen;

Below is a comparison between the old Corsa 2.0 25mm clincher and the Corsa Pro 32mm. And yup, just as it appears both have a tread width of 30mm. Carcasses are 72.5 and 86.0mm respectively. :shock:

The tread width is rubbish there on the 32.
Not the pro control tyre though. However I wouldn't be surprised if it was silly on the 34 you linked too.

Edit; I should actually read the linked review :roll:
The Corsa Pro Control is very similar to the regular Corsa Pro, but the main difference can be found in the tread area. The tread on the Corsa Pro Control is a bit wider and thicker, comes with a different tread pattern, and is made of a different compound mix

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:21 am

A new benchmark set for absolutely ridiculous tyre pricing for a tiny little tyre that will last 5k km :roll: :x
https://www.pushys.com.au/pirelli-p-zer ... lsrc=aw.ds

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:33 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:27 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:15 pm

Found this that you may or may not have seen;

Below is a comparison between the old Corsa 2.0 25mm clincher and the Corsa Pro 32mm. And yup, just as it appears both have a tread width of 30mm. Carcasses are 72.5 and 86.0mm respectively. :shock:

The tread width is rubbish there on the 32.
Not the pro control tyre though. However I wouldn't be surprised if it was silly on the 34 you linked too.

Edit; I should actually read the linked review :roll:
The Corsa Pro Control is very similar to the regular Corsa Pro, but the main difference can be found in the tread area. The tread on the Corsa Pro Control is a bit wider and thicker, comes with a different tread pattern, and is made of a different compound mix

That Pirelli tyre is (RS) is race-specific, not an "all-rounder" and it would certainly come with a caveat of a speed advantage with the lower rr, but at the expense of reduced puncture resistance. All about balancing what is needed for the purpose.

Meanwhile, I gave the Vittoria Corsa Pro tyres a wide berth after seeing those surprising Crr tests. Then a day after as I mulled the next move, a rider having his bike serviced at the shop made the passing remark that he would not be buying the Corsa tyres again for his canary-yellow Cervélo, quote "Well they're not fast!". The Corsa Pro were indeed my choice to replace Cadex Classic tubeless, then along came a deep dive and discussion, landing on Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport-R, tubeless complete. These required a check with GIANT Australia re hookless compatibility, so even though not listed on their website, they got the green light. Tipping the lab scales at 263gm, and nowhere near the wild price gouging of P-Zeros (Goodyear = $86 each); selecting a Pirelli tyre is confusing — there are so very many of them!

The Goodyear tyres did however require a huge heft to wrangle onto the rims. Sealed up with Orange TLR long-life sealant and 75F/80R psi. I feel it is a a slightly more supple and soft ride — noticeably different at the same psi to the rock-hard, dimpled tread Cadex tyres they replace.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:42 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:21 am
A new benchmark set for absolutely ridiculous tyre pricing for a tiny little tyre that will last 5k km :roll: :x

I just don't get coffee shop riders spending money like this on tyres and then jump up n down because they puncture 2klms down the road or wear them out in a couple of months. :idea: :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:12 pm

The Pirelli is pretty much an all round race tyre similar to the GP5000 S TR. According to BRR it has slightly higher rolling resistance, better puncture protection, grip and thicker tread than the GP5000 or the Goodyear. Price is still silly.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:04 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:42 pm
warthog1 wrote:

I just don't get coffee shop riders spending money like this on tyres and then jump up n down because they puncture 2klms down the road or wear them out in a couple of months. :idea: :?

Foo

The tread is likely very thin, around 1.6 to 1.8mm, so it's not going to be very robust when that speck of glass looks up and aims straight for the centre tread bearing down on it.

"Coffee shop riders", lol!
They'd be the same crew who buy $25,000-plus DOGMAs,only to ride to the coast for coffee on Saturday mornings and church on Sunday.

How do I know this? :?:

DOGMAs and Cervélos are in my riding group, and these guys only ride at weekends, being, as they are, involved in professions and high office that provides them with the filthy lucre to afford such extravagant toys. If they get a puncture, the missues is summoned and they are picked up in a salubrious 'Benz and whisked away to save them any embarrassment of toiling away trying to find and fix a puncture.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:43 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:04 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Foo

The tread is likely very thin, around 1.6 to 1.8mm, so it's not going to be very robust when that speck of glass looks up and aims straight for the centre tread bearing down on it.

"Coffee shop riders", lol!
They'd be the same crew who buy $25,000-plus DOGMAs,only to ride to the coast for coffee on Saturday mornings and church on Sunday.

How do I know this? :?:

DOGMAs and Cervélos are in my riding group, and these guys only ride at weekends, being, as they are, involved in professions and high office that provides them with the filthy lucre to afford such extravagant toys. If they get a puncture, the missues is summoned and they are picked up in a salubrious 'Benz and whisked away to save them any embarrassment of toiling away trying to find and fix a puncture.
The tread thickness on the Pirelli is thicker than the GP5000 and much thicker than your Goodyear's which are closer to a TT tire construction.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Crikeys, at that price you would expect them to throw in a free Pirelli calendar or 2 !!

I would try the Pirelli tyres if they were on special for half price !

Tyres are such a complex topic.
I think that the ride quality has something to do with the wheel that it is fitted to, the inflation pressure, and of course the frame & fork.

I have an old Michelin “Dynamic” 622x23 mm mounted on an old Campagnolo Omega 32 spoke front wheel.
Maybe I am just imagining it but it seems to give a smoother ride on coarse chip road surface than any other front wheel at my disposal, even 28 or 32 mm
Irrespective of which bicycle I use it with.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:04 pm

blizzard wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:43 pm

The tread thickness on the Pirelli is thicker than the GP5000 and much thicker than your Goodyear's which are closer to a TT tire construction.

The SuperSport is a race/TT/triath tyre; I am using it on our small group Bendigo Double Century (100 mile/160km x 2 [320km]) in November. Between now and then the tyres will be removed and swapped — rear to front/front to rear to even out the wear — much the same as we do with tyres on the car (which incidentally are Pirelli P-Zeros, with none too impressive wear characteristics after 27,000km, irrespective of tyre rotation!!). After the Double Century, I will make a decision whether to keep the Goodyears or move on to something else.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:12 pm

elantra wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Tyres are such a complex topic.
I think that the ride quality has something to do with the wheel that it is fitted to, the inflation pressure, and of course the frame & fork.

Yes, many factors to consider, not just the pet loves of weight and rolling resistance, but intended use.
Wheels today are an amazing advance in lightness and strength compared to what we, as bicycle tourists, knew of, could afford and accepted in the 1980s and 1990s. Some poor quality wheels collapsed underneath us. Others still twanged in unison as spokes broke and the wheel became a pretzel. A lot of the time we had Araya alloy with stainless steel 36h/4x lacing. This meant big, very heavy wheels, providing immense strength for the 40kg+ long-haul touring loads on roads you wouldn't lead a goat forward on!

Fast forward a few score years and we have slender, ultralight carbon wheels with skinny, aero 24h/2x (or variations thereof).
I would not trust these to carry panniers full of stuff. But they are very, very good for the intended purpose — sealed road riding at speed.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:13 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Foo
There is a thread on WW. They are very good apparently. Seem to be up there or ahead of the GP5000STR.
Unlikely to puncture "2klms down the road". Tubeless remember. Tubeless is way way better for puncture resistance given the latex sealant inside. 10s of thousands of kms on them, I aint going back to tubes. ;)
Probably great tyres that will wear and last well, just a stupid price.
I'll stick with my Schwalbe Pro Ones. Happy with em just thought I'd check the price given the rave reviews I was reading.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:
In fairness, the previous model P Zero Race TLR is a bit cheaper ($100-ish - equivalent to a GP5000) and performance is nearly as good. Longevity is excellent, on my 30mm ones I put them on a year ago and am just about to tick over 10,000kms on them and still some life left in them (probably another 2-3000 kms). I can tolerate paying $100 per tyre for that kind of tyre life (with excellent performance).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:41 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:03 pm

In fairness, the previous model P Zero Race TLR is a bit cheaper ($100-ish - equivalent to a GP5000) and performance is nearly as good. Longevity is excellent, on my 30mm ones I put them on a year ago and am just about to tick over 10,000kms on them and still some life left in them (probably another 2-3000 kms). I can tolerate paying $100 per tyre for that kind of tyre life (with excellent performance).
That is very good ks out of a rear tyre. :)
I have never got that. I am guessing you are pretty light?

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:41 pm
2wheels_mond wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:03 pm

That is very good ks out of a rear tyre. :)
I have never got that. I am guessing you are pretty light?
70kg, so on the light side of things. Still, it's better life than I've had out of anything else, but these are still my first tyres since moving above 25mm.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:21 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:47 pm

70kg, so on the light side of things. Still, it's better life than I've had out of anything else, but these are still my first tyres since moving above 25mm.
Not that light though. Great ks 8)