Moron Motorists #3

Mr Purple

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:32 am

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:27 am
I'm no expert, but I would have thought that his negligence commenced by taking insulin without an immediate plan to eat & without a backup plan - the diabetics I know always carry a quick source of glucose (fruit juice, jelly beans etc) in case they're caught out because they know how dangerous a hypo is. This is even more so for a person who knew he been having hypos before dinner.
You've nailed it. The negligence began when he took presumably his evening dose of short acting insulin without any food nearby or any plan to eat.

There is a chance a bit of long acting insulin was still in his system to cause it, but even then it should have been anticipated.

The whole thing has a lot of 'but the sun was in my eyes' defence about it. If only that could somehow be anticipated and accommodated for...

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:43 pm

This is Australia, where driving a motor vehicle is a right, not a privilege. Oh, won't someone please think of the poor dear who's right to drive is being threatened?

<in case someone misses the point: yes, it's sarcasm. Bitter sarcasm>

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:27 am
Andy01 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:47 am
My mate's CGM issued the first alert at 4, and frequently after that. I can't remember the exact numbers but at 4 the person is generally not considered to be impaired, but needed to do something to address the drop in sugar before impairment started. I seem to remember (but not sure) that impairment was expected to start around 2.5 or 2.8, and got worse quite quickly below that.

I cannot understand how a court cannot find the person culpable if they were a long "experienced" diabetic and ignored multiple warnings from the CGM - in my opinion that becomes willful negligence at the very least. This shows how bizarre and ineffective our justice system has become.
As I understand it the CGM alert level is a setting that can be adjusted. Any information I have is what filters through the media reports so could be inaccurate. As best I can figure he was 7.9 at 4:00 pm at Clunes, had insulin before he left Clunes at 4:50 pm, was down to 2.9 at 5:17 pm, tried to eat at 5:21 pm but was turned away & resumed driving at 5:36 pm, crashing at 6:07 pm.

The magistrate was critical of the Crown case that the negligence BEGAN at 5:36pm when he got back in the car. The problem with that is that it appears he was already at a point where his judgment was impaired. I'm no expert, but I would have thought that his negligence commenced by taking insulin without an immediate plan to eat & without a backup plan - the diabetics I know always carry a quick source of glucose (fruit juice, jelly beans etc) in case they're caught out because they know how dangerous a hypo is. This is even more so for a person who knew he been having hypos before dinner.

The Director of Public Prosecutions could still directly indict him, but who knows if he will or not.
Exactly right. The first thing my mate did after having most of his pancreas removed and being put on insulin was to put a stash of jelly beans in his car, my car, and my house (and obviously his house), as well as full-strength Coke in both house's fridges - to deal with those exact situations. This was based on the extensive advise and information pack he was given before even leaving hospital.

Sounds like the driver is a true moron - a reading of 7.9 isn't high enough to warrant a "decent" shot of insulin (my mate was told that if it gets over 10 (as a spike) it is getting concerning), and it sound like he just took too much, causing his sugars to crash to 2.9 from 7.9 - rookie error, except he wasn't a rookie and should have known better.

And yes, I do think that the there is some latitude on adjusting the alarm points (because different people respond differently) - I don't think it can be adjusted too far below the default 4 though, but my mate was strongly recommended to stick with 4 (as the lower limit) to be safe.

Bunged Knee

Re: Moron Motorcyclist

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:00 am

What a moron motorcyclist who had held his NSW provisional licence for less than 24 hours when he was caught speeding????
NSW provisional rider loses licence less than 24 hours after it was issued
Good to have his motorcycle seized in ACT.

https://www.policenews.act.gov.au/news/ ... was-issued
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

g-boaf

Re: Moron Motorcyclist

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:36 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:00 am
What a moron motorcyclist who had held his NSW provisional licence for less than 24 hours when he was caught speeding????
NSW provisional rider loses licence less than 24 hours after it was issued
Good to have his motorcycle seized in ACT.

https://www.policenews.act.gov.au/news/ ... was-issued
Nah, he’s just enjoying some freedom, or having some fun. Or any of the other excuses motorbike riders come up with to defend this.

Oh and something about “nanny states” :roll:

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:56 am

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/eme ... 1727315096

Tragic loss of a bright young mind as a result of another person’s dangerous driving behaviour.

The driver of the car that struck and killed her was allegedly travelling at over twice the speed limit.
It is also alleged that the driver only had a L -plate Learner’s Permit and was driving the car unsupervised

https://7news.com.au/news/man-19-charge ... 158487.amp

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:10 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:21 am
Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:09 am
Don’t blame the technology. This charge was successfully defended because the driver had his phone in his pocket, so therefore argued that he didn’t receive the 9 alarms.

Looking at the manual for the device it sends the hypoglycaemia alarms without needing to scan your phone over the device.

So what he’s saying is that his actions weren’t voluntary because he was stupid. Why is this a defence?

I thought this was illegal, it is in QLD because you can't have it on your person whilst driving? :idea: :?

Foo
it is not illegal to have a phone in your pocket whilst driving in Qld.