Moron Motorists #3

g-boaf

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:31 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:27 pm
elantra wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:23 pm
That’s the problem but I have no idea what the solution is.
Narrow the entrances and exists to roundabouts so vehicles have to slow down
Make them narrow enough that a Ford Ranger can't easily fit through. :twisted:

(that might also impact other fast, powerful vehicles that need to be slowed down anyway).

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:56 pm

if you narrow, and angle the entrances and exists, vehicles have to slow down. i have no problem with them being made too narrow. except then you have to account for buses and rubbish trucks

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:31 pm
jasonc wrote:
elantra wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:23 pm
That’s the problem but I have no idea what the solution is.

(that might also impact other fast, powerful vehicles that need to be slowed down anyway).
It also includes council buses, so that will never happen.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:02 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:08 pm
g-boaf wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Or they could add speed bumps the way they used to be: narrow with steeper edges. Anyone who drove fast over one of those risked damaging the car.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:41 pm

Please don't promote speed bumps. They are annoying for residents as they increase the noise. Cars braking and accelerating

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:56 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:41 pm
Please don't promote speed bumps. They are annoying for residents as they increase the noise. Cars braking and accelerating
Someone will be along to tell you to enjoy a bit of noise and that they'll drive a bit more loudly to give you a bit of engine music. :roll: Usually what happens when anyone complains about noise. Or they tell you to sell your house and move elsewhere, because it's their right to drive loudly at all times of day and night.

Excessive car noise around here is very bad thanks to one or two regularly bad hoon drivers.

How we prevent this I don't know: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/we- ... 5k8hh.html

*disabled javascript to read article

This kind of street racing is very bad where I live and one car in particular goes back and forwards usually twice or three times a day like that. All that can be done is everyone tries to get enough video then dumps all of it to the Police and hope for the best,

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:56 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:02 pm
Andy01 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Or they could add speed bumps the way they used to be: narrow with steeper edges. Anyone who drove fast over one of those risked damaging the car.
Yeah, as above, speed bumps are a seriously bad idea on a "flowing" road - they often just promote erratic fast/slow driving with (hoons) revving unnecessarily and slamming on brakes as required. They might be fine for shopping centre carparks (even then I don't think because many drivers behave stupidly around them), but not a road that is supposed to keep traffic flowing smoothly.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:52 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:56 am
Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:02 pm
Andy01 wrote:

Yeah, as above, speed bumps are a seriously bad idea on a "flowing" road - they often just promote erratic fast/slow driving with (hoons) revving unnecessarily and slamming on brakes as required. They might be fine for shopping centre carparks (even then I don't think because many drivers behave stupidly around them), but not a road that is supposed to keep traffic flowing smoothly.
You’ve got to enjoy a bit of brap brap occasionally (like 4-5 times a day) on your street. :roll: If you don’t - you are infringing their freedoms.

And all the other excuses they make.

Mind you, if the noise followed them when they are trying to sleep or focus on something you could imagine the outrage.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:41 pm
Not just that. I used to live next to a speed bump and for some reason the street was popular wth trucks that banged and rattled when going over humps.

Kathump-rattle-rattle many times a day.

mind you, living 1 gear change from a set of traffic lights is no fun either

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:26 pm

zebee wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:21 pm
mind you, living 1 gear change from a set of traffic lights is no fun either
Surely you must love that, lots of pops, bangs, explosions, tyre screeching, engines bouncing off the rev-limit?

Just had someone with an Alfa Gilua Quadrifoglio outside floor it away from the lights, absolutely flat out. Went like a rocket yet was very muted compared to the usual VWAG machine-gun-sound shopping trolleys (which are slower).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:08 am

My farts sound better than those hoon cars
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:40 am

Very disappointed yesterday. Driving home. Left the lights beside a highway patrol I. A school zone. Highway patrol was going a bit quick and moved ahead of me going 40. But then the Audi from behind passed doing easily 50 or more. 1. Moron for speeding in a school zone. 2. Double moron for doing so behind a highway patrol.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:46 am

vbplease wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:02 am
This is a pet peeve of mine that there is a large proportion of people that still don't understand the concept of how to approach, enter and exit a roundabout.. or they do know the rules, but just have a total disregard for others safety..
The big problem is that roundabouts actually rely on people being sensible and considerate of others to work properly.

We all know the rules is 'give way to traffic already on the roundabout' and you can reasonably interpret this to 'give way to traffic approaching from your right' which almost always works although it technically isn't the law. The big problem is that some people take this to mean 'if I accelerate on approach to the roundabout and take it at 80km/hr I'll reach the intersection a fraction of a second ahead of the other guy and technically have right of way'. Yes, technically. Though in doing that you made the whole situation so much more dangerous for everyone involved and broke the law anyway.

I've also almost been taken out a couple of times because I've entered a roundabout because the car approaching from my right was clearly going to have to give way to the car going straight. Except they failed to give way to the car going straight who then had to do an emergency stop and then almost t-boned me. The annoying thing about that situation is that I'd technically be blamed, even though they were the one completely failing to give way.

U-turns I find are the worst interpreted of all the road rules. You have to give way to absolutely everyone while doing a u-turn or three point turn. But people don't, just yesterday I came up against someone doing a three point turn in a Hilux on a blind corner who managed to block about eight other cars in both directions and then started screaming at me when I shook my head at him. Your poor decisions aren't my problem, matey.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:39 am

bychosis wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:40 am
Very disappointed yesterday. Driving home. Left the lights beside a highway patrol I. A school zone. Highway patrol was going a bit quick and moved ahead of me going 40. But then the Audi from behind passed doing easily 50 or more. 1. Moron for speeding in a school zone. 2. Double moron for doing so behind a highway patrol.
Big question is - did the police do anything about it ? From your disappointment, I am guessing not. Reason being - too hard basket because no concrete evidence of the Audi driver's speed.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:31 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:39 am
bychosis wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:40 am
Big question is - did the police do anything about it ? From your disappointment, I am guessing not. Reason being - too hard basket because no concrete evidence of the Audi driver's speed.
Yes. Disappointed because the highway patrol was right there and didn't nab the Audi.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Yes, it is disappointing that they didn't at least pull it over for a chat. But, realistically I doubt that they could have charged the driver with anything - unless the driving was very obviously reckless or something - because they would have had no proof that it was speeding, just their "gut feel".

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:11 pm

Given the notably above-average level of ineptitude displayed by Toyota drivers in a generally inetp driving population, Toyota should change their ad slogan to "Oh What A F#@kwit!".
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:27 pm

Duck! wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:11 pm
Given the notably above-average level of ineptitude displayed by Toyota drivers in a generally inetp driving population, Toyota should change their ad slogan to "Oh What A F#@kwit!".
People buy them because they are appliances. I don't want people who think driving is a chore driving...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:21 pm

The lighter side of moron motorists

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/diK2eV ... tid=UalRPS
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Commute slalom yesterday arvo in Parramatta

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:21 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Those situations (SMIDSY turning across your bows) are real scary. REAL scary !

Probably a lot more scary for Motorcyclists, as in general they are travelling quite a lot faster, which gives less time for either person to avoid each other.

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:20 pm

elantra wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:21 am
Probably a lot more scary for Motorcyclists, as in general they are travelling quite a lot faster, which gives less time for either person to avoid each other.
My cousin last year had someone get a little close for comfort and wound up clearing a whole multi-lane highway before landing.
Bike totaled but his worst injuries were from the inside of his protective gear slamming into him so hard they ripped the flesh.

His brother's found himself underneath a car before. (It's a bikie family, I hear my uncle's got a lot of Cred in the motorcycle scene up where they are.)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:49 pm

elantra wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:21 am
Retrobyte wrote:

Those situations (SMIDSY turning across your bows) are real scary. REAL scary !
Yes, I am very wary in those situations after going over the bonnet of a car in a similar situation almost 20 years ago

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:19 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:49 pm
Yes, I am very wary in those situations after going over the bonnet of a car in a similar situation almost 20 years ago
It seems DGAF is more common than DSY which is all the more reason to be very wary - had a MM start pulling out of a car park across the King St bike path - only stopped when I yelled "don't do it". Apparently his negligence warrants replying f off.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:04 pm

Retrobyte wrote:

anyone noticed the amount of tail/brake lights that are out. that corolla in front of you the left brake light is out.