I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Duck!
Expert

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:41 am

blizzard wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:59 am
Also for Shimano it's possible to burst the bladder in the lever pushing the piston back in, so to be safe you can crack the bleed port on the lever. I've never done it and haven't had an issue, I think it's more a shop mechanic thing that incase the system has extra fluid in it because it was bled incorrectly previously.
Incorrect, it's more likely - but still very rare - with brakes that use DOT fluid (SRAM, Hayes & others); the fluid absorbs moisture and expands, increasing the volume of fluid in the system. Mineral oil systems such as Shimano, Tektro and Magura do not absorb moisture, so the fluid volume doesn't increase.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:54 pm

Duck! wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:41 am
blizzard wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:59 am
Also for Shimano it's possible to burst the bladder in the lever pushing the piston back in, so to be safe you can crack the bleed port on the lever. I've never done it and haven't had an issue, I think it's more a shop mechanic thing that incase the system has extra fluid in it because it was bled incorrectly previously.
Incorrect, it's more likely - but still very rare - with brakes that use DOT fluid (SRAM, Hayes & others); the fluid absorbs moisture and expands, increasing the volume of fluid in the system. Mineral oil systems such as Shimano, Tektro and Magura do not absorb moisture, so the fluid volume doesn't increase.
Thanks Duck for the correction. I've heard Dave Rome talk about cracking the bleed port, when pushing pistons as a precaution, not sure what his context was.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:28 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:04 pm
I damn well hate changing pads on disc brake bikes and all the damn maintenance on them.
Take the wheel off
Remove the old pads
Push pistons back
Install new pads
Reinstall wheel
Bed in pads
It needed bleeding, that's done now and it's happy again. I was admittedly tired and short of patience yesterday.

The morning ride I took the Canyon Ultimate CF Evo out instead - which worked out well because it was so gusty. The S5 would have been blown about terribly.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:37 pm

Bled brakes for the first time a week or so ago, on a bike where I volunteer. Have to say it was easier than I thought it would be, although I have done it on cars before (a lot of years ago). It was messy so if I do it on my new bike I will be making sure I have syringes at both ends and avoid spreading the fluid everywhere.

Must remember to clean the pistons next time I replace pads, forgot last time. Plenty of isopropyl here, I use it to clean records.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:56 am

after my tubeless tyre failed to stay inflated, even after plugging it, I put a tube in it. So I bought a new tyre, and new valve. After about 10 different efforts I have finally got the tyre to stay inflated. The soapy water on the bead, and the right rubber bits on the valve finally did it. what a pain. I used a floor pump without the valve installed to pump it up. Before the soapy water I just don't think it was sealing in the bead properly. Now I just need to insert the sealant

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:38 am

Took the pulleys off my commuter yesterday to give them a good clean in preparation for giving waxing a try. Of course, I didn't take note of which was which (two different size pulleys - GRX800), or which side was what. So a simple job took me an extra 30 minutes of Googling contradictory information and working out which pulley goes in which direction.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:06 am

With jockey wheels I only ever do one at a time

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:13 am

Shimano jockey wheels are usually marked "G-pulley" for the top, guide pulley, and "T-pulley" for the bottom, tension pulley, and are marked with rotation direction arrows. In some generations of derailleurs, the t-pulley is asymmetrical, so even if it's in the right place, if it's the wrong way around it can foul on the derailleur cage.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:54 am

jasonc wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:56 am
after my tubeless tyre failed to stay inflated, even after plugging it, I put a tube in it. So I bought a new tyre, and new valve. After about 10 different efforts I have finally got the tyre to stay inflated. The soapy water on the bead, and the right rubber bits on the valve finally did it. what a pain. I used a floor pump without the valve installed to pump it up. Before the soapy water I just don't think it was sealing in the bead properly. Now I just need to insert the sealant
I have a 240v compressor with a storage tank that will run a paint spray gun. I whip the valve out and blast air in through the stem to seat the tyre with that. Sometimes it takes significant pressure to get the tyre to "pop" over the bead.
Once seated I put sealant in througn the rim with a Stans syringe designed for the purpose. Reinflate and put the wheel on its' side and wobble it around to coat the tyre and the bead on both sides. Usually all good after that.
A comparitive pita to install a new tyre compared to tube but the reduction in punctures has more than offset it for me. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:05 pm

Warthog1-i was investigating compressors but my pump is sufficient, thankfully

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:08 pm

After switching forks on my pub/shop bike a while back I hopped on to ride to the shop. After locking the doors and rolling out the drive I noticed the bars weren't straight off by about 5degrees. Tried to pull them straight without success. Obviously tightened the bolts to a decent torque while the bars were properly crooked. Rode it anyway. It's less critical when you've got shopping bags swinging from the bars.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:18 pm

Duck! wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:13 am
Shimano jockey wheels are usually marked "G-pulley" for the top, guide pulley, and "T-pulley" for the bottom, tension pulley, and are marked with rotation direction arrows. In some generations of derailleurs, the t-pulley is asymmetrical, so even if it's in the right place, if it's the wrong way around it can foul on the derailleur cage.
Thanks Duck, I did work all that out eventually. With the chain off the bike my first challenge was working out the rotation direction for each pulley, trying to visualise it with no chain there. And the Googling I did initially was confusing in some descriptions of which pulley is guide and tension - I couldn't work out which one was "top" at first because the cage was horizontal so both neither pulley was "closest to the cassette". Something so simple in theory but several things to work out before I got it right :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:03 am

jasonc wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:56 am
the tubeless tyre survived the journey in. looks like it was a success.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:23 am

An airshot or 240V compressor is an essential for a tubeless install in my book.

It's about the only way you can guarantee it'll bead up, and neither is a huge investment.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:42 am

It also depends on the tyres (even with tubes). I fitted some Schwalbe Almotion 700c x 50 (with tubes) last year and tried 4 times using my large pump. I even tried soapy water on bead and rim, tried "manipulating" the tyres when partially inflated, nothing worked. The tyres were not concentric to the rims, not far off, but not right.

So I fired up the compressor and blasted it up to around 65psi, and the tyres made 2 or 3 loud "pops" and job done.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:43 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:23 am
An airshot or 240V compressor is an essential for a tubeless install in my book.

It's about the only way you can guarantee it'll bead up, and neither is a huge investment.
well I don't have an air compressor. I was tempted to buy one half way through saturday, but I got there

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:10 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:43 am
Mr Purple wrote:

well I don't have an air compressor. I was tempted to buy one half way through saturday, but I got there
Even one of these makes life a lot easier.

https://www.pushys.com.au/airshot-tyre- ... 6AODvjyZWV

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:49 am

I get the job done — as I have done successfully for decades now, with a Silca floor pump, progressive inflation, massaging the tyre into place, then full inflation.

240V compressors should be left to the purpose for which they were designed — low pressure, high volume inflation of car tyres and more sturdy objects than pricey bike tyres.

C02 cartridges are also a quick and efficient way of speedy inflation without such pricey toys as the device at Pushys.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:17 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:10 am
jasonc wrote:
Even one of these makes life a lot easier.

https://www.pushys.com.au/airshot-tyre- ... 6AODvjyZWV
At $90 for 1.15 litres, I'd look at using a 2 litre soft drink bottle (burst pressure should be 150-170 psi, so 100 psi should be fine) empty fire extinguisher, or even a 5 litre pressure sprayer from Bunnings
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:47 am

i hadn't thought of using a pressure sprayer. that's a cheap solution. just need to be able let it rip

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:08 am

That does sound like a good solution.
Interested in how well it works.
I had the compressor already so just decided to use it to seat tubeless too. Pretty hard to beat for dumping a large volume of pressurised air quickly imo.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:41 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mr Purple wrote:

I'd go to a servo and use the air there, the auto stop ones have a flat tyre mode which pumps at full bore.