Smart trainers and software

warthog1

Re: Smart trainers and software

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:10 pm

I only use the trainer when on call so it needs to go quick smart.
Zwift it is then. May go the yearly sub to save a little.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:11 am

To finish off my experience with Fulgaz.

It doesn't play with Ant+ nicely on PC.
Would connect, but would be all over the place though the ride.
Work for a bit and then you would be pedalling like mad and going nowhere, spinning madly, going 5 km/h with no power output.
Because of the file size, you need to download before riding, unless you have very good internet.
Due to the above, I couldn't use my iPad as only room for a couple of smaller rides.
So had to use my Samsung S21 phone, this is not ideal at it you need to run it in mirroring mode to a TV. There are issues in the menus with them not lining up to where you touch. Can take forever for the app to get going and you need to configure the phone for different power modes to make it happen without the ride crashing.
If I had an iPad with more storage or an AppleTV (which it seems to be set up for more) with that same storage, I reckon it would work fine with downloading a lot of rides.
But it must ping home from what I have found, it will not run without internet.
Because of all the above, there is no spontaneity. Get up in the morning, find it a rubbish day, out in the shed, connect iPad to the TV, get on the trainer and ride. Super easy because I have an old bike permanently on the trainer.

In Zwift I can ride with friend's, avatars all together, chatting on Discord. You can do a type of group ride in Fulgaz, but not the same.

That is my experience, others may vary.
Fulgaz can be good if you have the right devices, are happy to download rides in advance and plan what you want.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:14 am

And one more point

I will only be on any platform until the end of the year when i finish my fulltime working life.
The days of needing to get up early and get my rides in before work will be gone.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:59 am

Seems the irritation over the Zwift price increases went away quite quick and people are coming back to Zwift again.

I still like Fulgaz for the big climbs Zwift doesn't have and for the times I just don't care for Zwift mucking around with pace dynamics or when I just want to ride on my own.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:24 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:11 am
Because of the file size, you need to download before riding, unless you have very good internet.
This is the issue people underestimate with Fulgaz.

They try streaming the ride and it stalls up a lot. It wasn't until I started uploading my own rides to the platform that I realised why - the files are simply huge. I'm talking 4GB for 8 minutes of footage when uploading - though I don't think they're at that definition when downloaded.

The biggest issue I have with Fulgaz is that setting your CdA and weight are literally a free for all - plus you can actually amplify your speed versus power if you're that way inclined. Plenty of dingbats on there who set there CdA at zero, weight at zero, and cruise around at ridiculous speeds with 100W. I'd like to see them prevent Strava uploading for anyone with stupid settings.

Annoyingly this morning I really pushed on a couple of sustained segments to take sixth overall to riders with significantly less power whom I know are substantially heavier than me. Pretty sad when you're putting out less power than the 61kg guy recovering from seven broken bones and going 5km/hr faster. These are the sort of riders you'd think would know better as well - very experienced.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:25 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:59 am
Seems the irritation over the Zwift price increases went away quite quick and people are coming back to Zwift again.
Still irritated over it!
But have accepted now and dropped a subscription to something else. To justify it in my mind :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:32 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:14 am
And one more point

I will only be on any platform until the end of the year when i finish my fulltime working life.
The days of needing to get up early and get my rides in before work will be gone.
Will you use it at all when you have an alternative?
I have found I wont. Perhaps because I don't live in the city and have low traffic routes just out my door?
Had it set up on the last 2 lots of leave and didn't touch it. If it rained I just didn't ride or waited until it stopped.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:08 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:32 am
Will you use it at all when you have an alternative?
I suspect I won't. I normally stop indoors riding in summer anyway.
I have plenty of low traffic riding where I live, road, gravel and roadside trails for the MTB.
At the moment my time is limited to ride and the trainer helps make that up.
When not working I will be able to choose when I want to ride.
Will pack the trainer away and see how I go.
But never say never!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:08 pm

And a good day here for riding indoors.
Got an invite from a friend (she noted I had been back on the platform testing this week) for a group ride because of the weather and we had our own bunch ride.
That is where Zwift excels in my opinion

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:25 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:08 pm
And a good day here for riding indoors.
Got an invite from a friend (she noted I had been back on the platform testing this week) for a group ride because of the weather and we had our own bunch ride.
That is where Zwift excels in my opinion
Agreed. My brother is in Melbourne. I can ride with him

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:28 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:25 pm
Agreed. My brother is in Melbourne. I can ride with him
I have another name in Whirlpool, so you can work that out and do know your brother and ride with him when on Zwift.
Only just told him I am back on Zwift yesterday though our club group Discord.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:33 pm

My brother is loud. I'll apologise for you having to know him

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:33 pm
My brother is loud. I'll apologise for you having to know him
He does agree he is the loud one :D