Which bike? Some help with search terms

Elbee

Which bike? Some help with search terms

Postby Elbee » Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:34 am

Hi all,
I’d like to buy a secondhand bike, but I’m having trouble knowing what to search for. I know roughly what I want, and was hoping to get some suggestions for terms/brands/models to add to my searches.
My wants are;
- under $150 (the cheaper the better)
- rigid fork
- tyres suited to gravel paths
- enough gears to handle hills
- not too heavy
- good quality (so for the price, looking at older bikes)
In the past I’ve had a Shogun Metro SE and I regret selling it. I’ve been searching for these, but keen to hear of any other similar brands/models I can add to my search. I’m mainly using Facebook marketplace.
Thanks for any advice. :)

blizzard

Re: Which bike? Some help with search terms

Postby blizzard » Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:05 am

Flat bar or drop bar? I would honestly search for bikes and put a limit of $150 and then start scrolling, cheap bike listings often have almost no description so can be hard to search for.

As for brands, I would avoid any of the off brand bikes e.g Trinx. Probably most of the older bike from mainstream brands will be ok.

Elbee

Postby Elbee » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:28 am

Flat bar. It’s just for cruising and exercise, but I’d rather buy a quality bike that’s going to last me. Thank you for the suggestion.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:43 am

It is hard to search by specific terms. As above, just set a few limits (location and maybe $200) and scroll. If you see something of interest, spend a minute or 3 to google the model/brand. You should be able to find something.

I saw a trek commuter style bike recently for under $100. Flat bar, rigid fork. You'd have a few coins left to get new tyres too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:19 am

A tip, in the usual marketplaces, identify the bikes that appeal the best and then look at their titles and descriptions for hints for the search terms.
Cycling is in my BNA