RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
MichaelB

Re: RUOK?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Fingers crossed Foo. I need to get a skin check done soon too.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:32 pm

Pretty neat bandage on the head there, Mr Foo!
Was this day surgery or you stayed overnight?

I've very recently (this year) avoided any further surgery with a common form of topical chemotherapy — Fluorouracil (or 5FU). Not just a 'band-aid treatment', but one that actively seeks out the rogue DNA and traces it to the origin, then destroys it completely; once a 'that perhaps shouldn't be there' is noticed, a dab of that and a small piece of tape over the top for 3 days will kill it dead; it then just peels off, albeit leaving a red to pink scar that will fade away in about 2 weeks. Works best on the face and ears, not so well on other body areas, but no harm in testing.

I had way too much sun exposure as a long-haul bicycle tourist in the 1980s and up until 1998 or 1999 when I just gave it away, nothing more to add to it, but unbeknownst to me, the damage was well and truly done, and continued to increase. Since 2007 I have been under more and more scrutiny ever since the first melanoma (Stage 1) was lopped off my left side of back) and another melanoma on right cheek (2008) similarly cut out (amazingly, no scar exists!). I see no real end or conclusion to treating this disease, other than being proactive to observe and treat things that do not look normal or should not be there. If people could learn from our hard life lessons, they might think twice, carefully, about baring everything on the sun-drenched sands of Australia.

Important to note though that sunscreen will protect you against sunburn, but it will not prevent skin cancer. If there is too much sun exposure, all the sunscreen in the world isn't going to prevent skin cancer.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:52 pm
Fingers crossed Foo. I need to get a skin check done soon too.

Don't mess around, do it sooner rather later. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:54 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:32 pm

I've very recently (this year) avoided any further surgery with a common form of topical chemotherapy — Fluorouracil (or 5FU). Not just a 'band-aid treatment', but one that actively seeks out the rogue DNA and traces it to the origin, then destroys it completely; once a 'that perhaps shouldn't be there' is noticed, a dab of that and a small piece of tape over the top for 3 days will kill it dead; it then just peels off, albeit leaving a red to pink scar that will fade away in about 2 weeks. Works best on the face and ears, not so well on other body areas, but no harm in testing.

I had way too much sun exposure as a long-haul bicycle tourist in the 1980s and up until 1998 or 1999 when I just gave it away, nothing more to add to it, but unbeknownst to me, the damage was well and truly done, and continued to increase. Since 2007 I have been under more and more scrutiny ever since the first melanoma (Stage 1) was lopped off my left side of back) and another melanoma on right cheek (2008) similarly cut out (amazingly, no scar exists!). I see no real end or conclusion to treating this disease, other than being proactive to observe and treat things that do not look normal or should not be there. If people could learn from our hard life lessons, they might think twice, carefully, about baring everything on the sun-drenched sands of Australia.

Important to note though that sunscreen will protect you against sunburn, but it will not prevent skin cancer. If there is too much sun exposure, all the sunscreen in the world isn't going to prevent skin cancer.

True but sunscreen is much better than when I was a youngin. I never thought about the indside of the ears for spots too turn up in. :shock: Then you can get melanomas in areas that never see the sun also, so it's a real mine field that we try and dodge, hence why record these types of journeys here and elsewhere, so that others might learn and start being vigilant with what can happen. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:24 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:54 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:

True but sunscreen is much better than when I was a youngin. I never thought about the indside of the ears for spots too turn up in. :shock: Then you can get melanomas in areas that never see the sun also, so it's a real mine field that we try and dodge, hence why record these types of journeys here and elsewhere, so that others might learn and start being vigilant with what can happen. :(

Foo

Oh yes indeed! What we needed in the 1980s was SPF 25, 30 and 50 and a 'tut, tut' about that old chestnut, "oh, that can't happen to me...". All were had as we gunned across the blazing plains was Banana Boat oil and fluoro pink zinc cream!!

The pinna — the hard bit your finger stops at in the ear, is where I had to have radiotherapy for a month (daily 2cm * 4cm area) as surgically it would be dicey and traumatic.

We have to fear melanoma by its sneaky nature can appear anywhere on the body, though most commonly those areas exposed to the sun.

We're much better prepared for looking for it now: armpits and the crotch — oh, and your bum too, are now routine "gloves on now, and spread out for me!" examinations by Dermatologists... :o :lol:

I reckon you're in mighty good hands despite coming off with a much larger head dress than I was provided with (being, a small gauze pad that fell off the next morning...)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:37 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:24 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:54 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:

Foo

Oh yes indeed! What we needed in the 1980s was SPF 25, 30 and 50 and a 'tut, tut' about that old chestnut, "oh, that can't happen to me...". All were had as we gunned across the blazing plains was Banana Boat oil and fluoro pink zinc cream!!

The pinna — the hard bit your finger stops at in the ear, is where I had to have radiotherapy for a month (daily 2cm * 4cm area) as surgically it would be dicey and traumatic.

We have to fear melanoma by its sneaky nature can appear anywhere on the body, though most commonly those areas exposed to the sun.

We're much better prepared for looking for it now: armpits and the crotch — oh, and your bum too, are now routine "gloves on now, and spread out for me!" examinations by Dermatologists... :o :lol:

I reckon you're in mighty good hands despite coming off with a much larger head dress than I was provided with (being, a small gauze pad that fell off the next morning...)

Yeah I was surprised when I came to and saw it. :shock: My first one was as you had but it kept wanting to come off also and I'd keep putting another layer of tape onto it. :mrgreen: Maybe it is to keep the ear in a more upright position, so that it doesn't lay over when it comes off? :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:42 pm

I had a pressure pad (bolster) attached to my ear, but wiggling around during the night caused the bandage to slip off and dangle around my neck, into which my left arm wiggled under and I work up in fright thinking I was being strangled! That was the beginning of the problems with bleeding, as the bolster needed to be kept absolutely immobile. Alas, all that wiggling around during the night exacerbated bleeding — not a pretty sight, but nothing Niece No. 1, a registered ICU nurse, couldn't fix with her well-stocked out-of-the-clutch-purse-and-onto-Biggles problem solving kit! :lol:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:45 am

Bad one yesterday - something thing happened uphill at 44km/hr and 720W and I’m currently in ED with 6 broken ribs and a scapula,

Bit of amnesia but suspect something on the bike broke. straight road and weird spot for it to happen.
Last edited by Mr Purple on Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:12 am

Sorry to hear. Hopefully a smooth recovery.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:20 am

Thanks. Probably be in hospital a couple of days, need a nerve block done.

Hopefully no surgery!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:47 am

That sux Mr P. :(
Yes hopefully not out of action for too long. Sounds like you'll be off the bike a month or two.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:53 am

Yeah. Probably off the trainer a fortnight and then off the bike a few weeks more.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:57 am

Gee, that sounds nasty MrP - glad you are recovering. Has someone got you bike and able to see if there is any obvious component failure?

With 6 broken ribs I think your "few weeks" off the bike may be optimistic. I was off for a few weeks with one broken rib. You may already know that sneezing is the worse part! Take it easy and hope you are feeling ok.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:29 am

The scapula is the worst part, barely notice the ribs just now but suspect that will change.

I suspect the cleat gave way under power, though the bike is clearly a write off so it may be hard to work out. Definitely not a spot you’d expect to crash.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:22 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:45 am
Bad one yesterday - something thing happened uphill at 44km/hr and 720W and I’m currently in ED with 6 broken ribs and a scapula,

Bit of amnesia but suspect something on the bike broke. straight road and weird spot for it to happen.
Oh damn! :( Best wishes for a smooth recovery. That does sound like some mechanical failure.

Just take it slowly and easily and get back when it's not painful.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:32 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:29 am
The scapula is the worst part, barely notice the ribs just now but suspect that will change.
Yes, wait a while - those ribs will catch up with you :( take it easy, don't rush it.
That was terribly unlucky, hope you recover as quickly as possible and work out what went wrong, so it doesn't happen again!

Best wishes
Richard

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:16 pm

Thanks guys!

Yep, think I’ll be starting indoors and won’t be in a hurry to replace the road bike.

To be honest I’m 43 years old and self employed. Think I’ll get a bike fit and probably end up on an endurance frameset. Too old and stupid to be on these flighty things and honestly it’ll probably make me faster.

Currently hooked up to a variety of lines but at least can breathe pretty easily. Hopefully not stuck in hospital too long.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:06 pm

Broken ribs are no fun, although I'm sure you have the good drugs. I feel your pain having broken 3 ribs 9 weeks ago & distinctly remember the pain breathing, coughing, sneezing laughing or trying to get out of bed. I seem to recall from playing rugby decades ago that damaging the cartilage is more painful than broken ribs

My ribs are now fine, but it turns out I managed to bust the costal cartilages on my left 2nd rib - pops forward 3 or 4 mm when I roll over in bed or look. Relatively mild pain, but enough to wake me up
Anything you can do, I can do slower

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:32 pm

Mr Purple wrote:

Jebus, that's not good and hope things heal well. :shock: :( It will take a bit for things to settle with the ribs but I'm interested to see the bike also. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:34 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:16 pm
Too old and stupid to be on these flighty things and honestly it’ll probably make me faster.
I don't think it's necessarily a particular bike style, probably just bad luck - although you are a watts monster! (and you will be, again, given time).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:40 pm

Have an odd reaction since the op on Thursday. I feel like I have a big wad of phlegm caught at the base of my throat and it won't budge = can't force it down and can't cough it up. :? Sleep has not been good due to being in the lounge chair but after tonight, I'm getting back into my bed. :)

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:14 pm

Wow, I came in a bit late one the discussions here over the past couple of days and some of you guys have been in a very bad way, especially you Mr Purple, hope you're healing well, broken ribs are hell!!

Foo and Biggles, hoping you both get better also, Melanoma is scary, I like everyone has had my fair share of too much sun in our younger days. Whilst at 64 I don't yet have any telltale signs of possibilities, I always get my doctor to give me a once over every year. I often worry about my right arm, because here in Australia, with being a commercial driver in Buses and trucks for the past 45 years, my right arm cops all the sun through the side windows so I keep an eye on that. Add to that when i'm out on the bicycle, I have to remember to apply the sunblock every few hours. My Mother whilst fair skinned, had many sun cancers cut out to the point she almost ran out of skin grafts.

All the best to you all, hope your lot gets much better and you can keep living.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:15 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Bit of amnesia but suspect something on the bike broke.
Strava KOM based sabotage!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:28 am

Rough night in here on the surgical ward - guy across got delirious, and one of the others is just a psychopath.

Pain sort of manageable so will work on an escape.

This can’t happen again. There will be measures taken, just not sure what the are yet.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:49 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:16 pm
Thanks guys!

Yep, think I’ll be starting indoors and won’t be in a hurry to replace the road bike.

To be honest I’m 43 years old and self employed. Think I’ll get a bike fit and probably end up on an endurance frameset. Too old and stupid to be on these flighty things and honestly it’ll probably make me faster.

Currently hooked up to a variety of lines but at least can breathe pretty easily. Hopefully not stuck in hospital too long.
Bummer. Hoping no long term effects.

Interesting obs on the responsibility side of things (I do agree). My youth was on M/C's and I had very little control or sense of consequences. Until my wife told me she was pregnant. Parked all 5 of my M/C's that evening, have not ridden on the road since. My few off road forays with my son convinced me I hadn't learned anything :lol: