Laptop capable cycling backpack

MichaelB

Laptop capable cycling backpack

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:11 pm

Well,

The delay in making a decision has meant that the previous pricing from Abbotsford has gone back to normal
Now respectively $260-$225 (pending colour), still at $255 and $170 - $195 (pending colour)

Any others that are suitable apart from those already proffered ? Noted re strap closure vs Velcro, so seems the Crumpler & Ortlieb Commuter Daypack City 21 litre are the ones to choose from, with Ortlieb scoring higher due to waterproofness for only $25 extra ?

Many thanks for the suggestions - some are good options, but are either no longer available, or just too pricey for my budget.
Last edited by MichaelB on Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Re: Laptop capable cycling backpack

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:39 pm

I have this one:

https://road.cc/content/review/rapha-ba ... 20l-305419

It fits a 15" Macbook Air M2 precisely (in the purpose designed section for it) and has a lot of useful compartments. I'm happy with the quality of it as well and it isn't too bulky.

It can take a lot of stuff in it as well for other uses when not riding. for example, it will fit football boots ( Asics Menace 4 11.5 size), two footballs and a Supertee Volc.

I cannot see that backpack listed on the Rapha website anymore, but I know I got it fairly recently this year from the Sydney Rapha store.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:04 pm

I have a Blackwolf titanium 35 that includes a pocket for my laptop. I chose it because the mesh back "Air Light harness" gets ventilation & stops me getting an uncomfortably sweaty back. Also the straps enable me to adjust where the backpack sits so it doesn't bump my helmet

Sadly they don't seem to sell it anymore but I'm sure there are similar ventilated backs
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:26 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:04 pm
Sadly they don't seem to sell it anymore but I'm sure there are similar ventilated backs
I have a (now vintage) Deuter 28 which has a well ventilated back. I bought it because I needed to lug A4 folders and a biggish laptop to work.

I have noticed that the modem versions have less bells and whistles than mine but the fundamentals look the same.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:16 pm

I've been running a RoadRunnerBags Medium Anything for the last 7 years. 2-3 days a week of commuting usually, in all conditions.

Has yet to let me down or show any real signs of wear even after being hit by a car on multiple occasions.

The thing is solid, got lucky and picked it up when they were having a 42% off sale.

https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/b ... g-backpack

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:12 pm

Have a look at Osprey backpacks. They make a few waterproof options including a fully sealed roll-top bag that is rated waterproof (like a dry-bag) to a pressure hose stream (though no submersible). Osprey has been making backpacks for the hiking market for 50 years and are well reputed for both design & quality.

I have a Osprey Transporter Roll Top 30L Waterproof backpack - the downside for your use-case is that it is not padded (for the laptop) and has minimal "pockets" in it for organisation - it will keep your gear dry though.

https://www.osprey.com/au/en/transporte ... olor=Black

Another company is Overboard, and they have a few options with different features & sizes.

https://www.over-board.com.au/collectio ... 0-litres-1
https://www.amazon.com.au/Overboard-Cla ... th=1&psc=1

Another is Earthpack who make a 35L pack.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Earth-Pak-Wat ... th=1&psc=1

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:03 pm

Cheers guys, some good options.

Some are too big ( 35 litre versions) and some are way too expensive for the odd occasion.

I don’t really need a waterproof one either as if it’s raining, I won’t ride with it.

I’ll have a good look at the options though.

Thanks

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:21 am

I have a Camelbak Commuter backpack that I bought half price on sale, for when I need my laptop and want to ride the roadie instead of my commuter bike with a rack .... https://www.camelbak.com/shop/packs/tra ... -2507.html

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:03 pm

I don’t really need a waterproof one either as if it’s raining, I won’t ride with it.

I’ll have a good look at the options though.

Thanks
I was thinking about the times when you might be at work and the weather turns, leaving you with little choice but to ride in the rain.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:23 pm

I have a few ortliebs, still recommend water proof bags for just-in-case.

A few things I find important:

- comfortable straps. Need to be wide, noot too wide and padded smartly, but not over the top with cheap thick padding. This is about better support and durability.

- Back padding for confort and avoiding sweating. This is where ortlieb does well - you want enough air channels / pads air can move through and you are not unsticking a sweaty backpack.

- space inside is key for laptops while riding os is should not move about or need to be stuffed with padding for each ride. Often the innersleeve is built for this and a bit more space is available for cables. If you wantnan extra padded cover, this can fill out space.

- closing system - the roll close of irtlieb bags works though velcro eventually fails and can’t easily be replaced while hooks are an alternative but there is also wear.

I have been using the commuter daypack for about 4 years and it is compact and fits the bill. Previously the vario for many years, I liked the elastic side pocket which was good for a water bottle and easy access.

(Aussie prices are insane… but it is one of those few brands that deliver… and they have become very strong in sustainability).
Cycling is in my BNA

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:43 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:21 am
I have a Camelbak Commuter backpack that I bought half price on sale, for when I need my laptop and want to ride the roadie instead of my commuter bike with a rack .... https://www.camelbak.com/shop/packs/tra ... -2507.html

Hmmm. Noice! :D
I'm on the scout for something for my commutes come the sunnier, warmer weather that starts toward the end of this month. I'm also looking at Crumpler's made-for-purpose commuting range.

I don't carry a laptop or other fragile items in a backpack, but I can get carried away shopping on Friday afternoons!
The inclusion of a side slot for a bottle/thermos is a winner for me. Also highly rated on the must-have list is the waist belt and chest loop. Something similar available from CCACHE — the EVOC, though in a bigger size than desired.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:57 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:23 pm
I have a few ortliebs, still recommend water proof bags for just-in-case.

K.

So for the three Ortleibs that I listed in the OP, which would you recommend (or any others from Abbotsford Cycles ?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:41 pm

Commuter dayoack is one I have (first) and was chosen also because the blue one looks smart for work.The back and straps are good and very happy with this and is my personal preference.

Wife has the second one, it is more generous for space but bigger than I need. When I was looking I wanted move away from velcro.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:31 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:41 pm
Commuter dayoack is one I have (first) and was chosen also because the blue one looks smart for work.The back and straps are good and very happy with this and is my personal preference.

Wife has the second one, it is more generous for space but bigger than I need. When I was looking I wanted move away from velcro.
Cheers Chris :D

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:23 am

I have the Ortlieb commuter back pack too. Have owned it since pre-Covid days, probably 2017?
Been through a few storms and kept everything dry. The top roll is surprisingly effectively.

But The velcro seems to be less "sticky" now. Thinking of finding someone who can replace the velcro strap for me.
On more than one occasion, when the backpack was filled to the brim, the velcro came undone. :x
The good thing is nothing will ever spill out when that happens, because the opening is always at the top.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:08 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:11 pm
Well,

The delay in making a decision has meant that the previous pricing from Abbotsford has gone back to normal
Now respectively $260-$225 (pending colour), still at $255 and $170 - $195 (pending colour)

Any others that are suitable apart from those already proffered ? Noted re strap closure vs Velcro, so seems the Crumpler & Ortlieb Commuter Daypack City 21 litre are the ones to choose from, with Ortlieb scoring higher due to waterproofness for only $25 extra ?

Many thanks for the suggestions - some are good options, but are either no longer available, or just too pricey for my budget.

Doh, edited the initial post !

Dammit. More coffee required .... :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:13 am

And pushys have them for $170 - Only Black, Red or Hi-Vis Yellow available ....

https://www.pushys.com.au/ortlieb-city- ... ypack.html

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:56 am

Henty are an option. Whilst I commute with panniers I use the sports backpack as a day to day bag and have ridden with it plenty of times. It's a nice narrow compact shape that doesn't move around excessively, it's waterproof and you can either have the laptop in the rear compartment or in the body of the bag
Focus Mares | Carbonda FM101 | Wayward Cape York | Waltly Ti | Trek SLR

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:17 pm

Cheers, had a look at the Henty option, but colours wren't quite to my liking.

Ended up ordering the Ortlieb in Red from Pushys
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:13 am
And pushys have them for $170 - Only Black, Red or Hi-Vis Yellow available ....

https://www.pushys.com.au/ortlieb-city- ... ypack.html

Thanks for the input everyone :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:14 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:26 pm
find_bruce wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:04 pm
I have a (now vintage) Deuter 28 which has a well ventilated back. I bought it because I needed to lug A4 folders and a biggish laptop to work.

I have noticed that the modem versions have less bells and whistles than mine but the fundamentals look the same.
Another vote for that here. 10 years on and going strong. Very good ventilation.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:40 pm

Received my 'Red' Ortleib backpack in the mail today.

The laptop sleeve easily fits in the work laptop, and could probably squeeze in the 2nd unit (the 2nd one has a specific Estimating program on it) without too much trouble, and could easily fit in more.

Glad I didn't go for the bigger unit, and the colour isn't half bad either.

And also heard the 'avoid the velcro closure' recommendations, so again, thanks to all.

It'll get a go carrying the gear back to work on Wednesday morning !

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:00 am

Now a few weeks have passed, would love your feedback.

Some of the benefits of this model over other ortlieb models or options and bike vag brands can remain invisible on the basis of no comparion or just not needing to think about details when it works well. Hoping it is holding up well.
Cycling is in my BNA