my locking solution

crog

my locking solution

Postby crog » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:08 pm

Hi All spent close to $300 on bike locks for new E bike

Thoughts on these

ABUS Granite and Kryptonite cable for front wheel, still looking for something for the panniers and brooks thoughts as to how to secure, believe or not had a saddle stolen before

suggestions

DavidS

Re: my locking solution

Postby DavidS » Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:04 pm

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but when I rode to work and hence had more issues with the bike being locked up for long periods, I used a zip tie on the saddle. Unobtrusive and unless the person stealing the saddle had a handy pair of scissors or a knife, they couldn't nick the saddle. I would think stealing a saddle would be an opportunistic so this is a pretty good deterrent. It isn't as if you have to remove the zip tie very often, or at all really.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:17 pm

DavidS wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:04 pm
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but when I rode to work and hence had more issues with the bike being locked up for long periods, I used a zip tie on the saddle. Unobtrusive and unless the person stealing the saddle had a handy pair of scissors or a knife, they couldn't nick the saddle. I would think stealing a saddle would be an opportunistic so this is a pretty good deterrent. It isn't as if you have to remove the zip tie very often, or at all really.

DS
Maybe a Hiplock Z Lok or similar would be a small upgrade on your idea of a zip tie.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:17 pm
DavidS wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:04 pm

DS
Maybe a Hiplock Z Lok or similar would be a small upgrade on your idea of a zip tie.
Yeah, I've seen those, may be a good solution.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:38 am

If definitely be replacing QR on the seatpost if there is one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:30 pm

For pannier bags, if you are leaving them on the bike - a compact cable lock (eg combination lock - keeps the opportunity thieves from easily grabbing them. Would not leave panniers on for longer durations unattended.

When locking, D lock through frame and to an immovable object and cable through the front wheel.

Changing over any quick releases to a 5-sided hex bolt (or similar) is a small deterent, but I think good where theft is common.

Otherwise some more general guidance for preventing theft: viewtopic.php?t=2591
Cycling is in my BNA