Suggestions for a starter Hybrid Bike

scher1s

Suggestions for a starter Hybrid Bike

Postby scher1s » Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:31 pm

Hi all, I have been looking extensively on Hybrid bikes for myself. Little background, havent’t ridden since I was a teenager. Sufficed it to say, I am the Jon Snow of bikes. I know nothing. I am now in my 40’s looking to do some casual riding with my young son. Mostly riding around the suburb, footpaths, grass and the occassional dirt road (not much really, bit ambitious 🤣). I didn’t want a heavy mountain bike, I don’t plan on any off-roading, tricks or jumps at all (a bit ambitious of my husband for this one). If it’s heavy or too hard to go up the hill with it I won’t ride it and I’ll be wasting my money. It’s why I landed on hybrid, with the off chance MIGHT ride it in some dirt road on some national park somewhere. I have been looking second hand, just to ease myself into it. Looked at the following:

- Norco VFR4
- Giant Cypress
- Trek FX

I feel overwhelmed, I don’t know a lot of good brands that will last. Please give me your suggestions and advice! TIA!

Andy01

Re: Suggestions for a starter Hybrid Bike

Postby Andy01 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Those 3 bikes are all quite different (at least the versions I looked at Giant Cypress 2, Trek FX2 & Norco VFR 4).

The Norco VFR 4 appears to be a discontinued step through bike (99Bikes doesn't stock it anymore ?).

The Trek FX2 looks like a flat bar road bike (maybe hybrid, although only 35mm tyres) with rigid shocks and a 2x9 gear train.

The Giant Cypress 2 looks like a typical hybrid with basic 63mm travel shocks and a 1x9 gear train. Worth noting that this model only shows up on the Giant US website (not listed in Australia), which prompts me to ask where you are ?

Also worth noting that perhaps you could look at the Liv website - Liv is the ladies-specific "brand" of Giant - perhaps a Liv Rove.

Another useful consideration is what is your budget ? Trek FX range from $600 to $3,000. Liv Rove range from $850 to $1,400.

Merida make a number of potential bikes - look on the 99Bikes website.

Knowing how hilly your area is or your fitness level might gives clues as to what kind of gearing might suit best - 1x 9 spd might be a bit limiting in a hilly area.

NomadicNest

Postby NomadicNest » Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:16 am

The Norco VFR4, Giant Cypress, and Trek FX are all solid choices. They're lightweight and comfortable. Specialized and Cannondale are also good brands to look at.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:22 pm

In that price range, skip the suspension. All it does is add weight.
Look at a flat bar road. Most have a decent amount of tyre clearance so you could get a ~35mm tyre in the forks to allow for non-path riding

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:07 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:22 pm
In that price range, skip the suspension. All it does is add weight.
Look at a flat bar road. Most have a decent amount of tyre clearance so you could get a ~35mm tyre in the forks to allow for non-path riding
I second that idea of skipping stuff that adds weight and doesn't do anything more for what you are intending to do.

scher1s

Postby scher1s » Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:41 pm

Thanks for replies guys. I have done more research, and I am definitely opting to not have the fork. My area is mostly flat, some small hills here and there. I am located in Sydney, and mostly been looking at second hand bikes on FB marketplace.

Ideally I would like a bike that I can put a child seat on. Also are disc brakes worth it for casual riding?

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:43 am

scher1s wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:41 pm
Thanks for replies guys. I have done more research, and I am definitely opting to not have the fork. My area is mostly flat, some small hills here and there. I am located in Sydney, and mostly been looking at second hand bikes on FB marketplace.

Ideally I would like a bike that I can put a child seat on. Also are disc brakes worth it for casual riding?
Cycling fashions have changed a lot in 20 years, my best advice is to try (test ride) as many bikes as you can before settling. I didn't start riding till I was 55 (and had ruined my knees with too much trail running), I knew absolutely nothing as I did not have a bike while younger. I went through a few bikes while learning what I really enjoyed and wanted to do more of.

There is good weight and bad weight, as you have determined suspension folks are good if a lot of single track is your thing but bad if you mostly do flat, paved riding. Don't dismiss "gravel" bikes even if "gravel" might only be a small part of your riding, gravel bikes are essentially road bikes with a bit more comfort and lower / easier gearing. Wider (lower pressure) tyres are great for comfort, traction, braking and option for some gentle off road, most more racing oriented bikes won't have the tyre clearance for wider.

Disc brakes are an excellent safety advantage especially if it is damp, their peak form with hydraulic levers may not be necessary for more casual riding, cable versions might be just as good and cheaper.

If a child seat is desirable make sure your bike has the means to attach one ie usually rack / fender mounts on the frame, a solid attachment is essential.

A lot of bike shops cater for the aspiring racer demographic, make sure the shops you review know about and also cater for more casual, family oriented, transport, recreation oriented riders.

Most capital cities will have a bike shop or two that caters for this type of rider, in Sydney I would recommend Omafiets (https://www.omafiets.com.au/) , they have a higher* proportion of female sales & service staff which is always a good indicator. (*The usual proportion being zero.)

Good Luck, don't rush a choice, visit the right shops, talk with friends who do the sort of riding you want to and you will be better placed to separate the wheat from the chaff on the second hand sites.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive (Audax)

karpedal

Postby karpedal » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:45 pm

For casual riding around the suburbs with occasional dirt/gravel paths, I'd recommend a lightweight hybrid or flat bar road bike without suspension. Make sure it has mount points for a child seat. Disc brakes would be good for safety, especially with a child seat - look for cable actuated discs which are cheaper than hydraulic. Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Quick, and Trek FX are solid brands. A test ride will help you choose.