PROOF You Don't Need a [Tent] Footprint!

Aushiker

PROOF You Don't Need a [Tent] Footprint!

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:55 pm

This is an interesting video on footprints and if they are warranted. It inncludes an attempt at scientific testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAw8c7NLL_I

brumby33

Re: PROOF You Don't Need a [Tent] Footprint!

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:55 pm
This is an interesting video on footprints and if they are warranted. It inncludes an attempt at scientific testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAw8c7NLL_I
Interesting, in fact I was contemplating in buying a bicycle camping tent towards the warmer Months this year for either bicycle and/or my motorcycle and I intend on buying a decent tent rather than an average tent and the groundsheet which most brands want to sell you separately was high on the list.....it is more the understanding that there's a buffer between your tent floor and the sheet however I'm also aware that the groundsheet isn't supposed protrude past the bottom of the inner tent because if it rains, then water will end up being trapped between those buffers. I think I'd still get one for my piece of mind but if I was on nice cushion of grass or sand, I probably wouldn't put it down but on naked Earth I would.
Naturehike, MSR & Big Anes are ones I'm eyeing off now. I have to sell a Minelab metal detector first before I buy my camp kit. The things we blokes have to sacrifice :roll: :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:00 pm

One thing to consider for carrying a tent on the bike is packed length. Ideally a max of 30 cm is what I have found.

A couple of other tent brands to consider are Durston and 3FU (Alixpress). I am going with the Durstob X-Mid 2 as my new tent.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:40 pm

Likely an less than popular view, but my contribution to the thread is I'll be investing in a footprint.
On my Otago NZ trip a couple of years ago, something I missed whilst setting up my Macpac Minaret, managed to a-braid the floor and I found this out the hard way when I experienced heavy rain in Oamaru.
I had used the tent in WA without issue and put said leaks down to user error, likely on the Rainbow track south of ST Arnaud heading towards Hamner Springs.
I've just a fortnight ago purchased a new replacement tent and will soon be in the process of researching candidates for a footprint to help ward off future abrasions.
I got by with an application of some exterior silicon to the a-braided area and the utilisation of some thick gardening plastic sheet as a footprint, curtesy of Mitre 10, a local opposition to Bunnings, at an economic price.
The topic is footprint, so I won't rave about how pleased I was with the longevity of the Minaret but I've stuck with Macpac for its replacement. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:04 pm

What is the new tent?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:04 pm
What is the new tent?
I bought an Olympus but I still have the much lighter (though not lightweight) Microlight.

I spent my first year and a half in North Otago, living in the Minaret and decided, for replacement) I wanted a larger tent.

I'm no longer relying on a tent/campground for accommodation.

I understand for many that ultra lightweight is the priority, but for myself, longevity and ability to survive NZ winter weather conditions suits my wallet and peace of mind a little better.

The Olympus will be for trips where I will be "based" in one location for an extended period of time, which these day will feature more often than long distance multi night journeying.

I have the Microlight and tarp/bivy combo for when weight might be an issue.

I also bought a new sleeping bag (Serac) with 1100g of 800 loft down, making the most of a big discount sale.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:45 pm

Ah yes the Olympus ... haven't seen on of those in a long time. All the best with it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:00 pm
One thing to consider for carrying a tent on the bike is packed length. Ideally a max of 30 cm is what I have found.

A couple of other tent brands to consider are Durston and 3FU (Alixpress). I am going with the Durstob X-Mid 2 as my new tent.
Looks good

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:45 pm
Ah yes the Olympus ... haven't seen on of those in a long time. All the best with it.
Just now need a couple of Sherpas to carry it - lol

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:59 pm

rifraf wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:49 pm
Aushiker wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:45 pm
Just now need a couple of Sherpas to carry it - lol
:D :D