Anyone use a Moon Rigel Pro front light?

AdelaidePeter

Anyone use a Moon Rigel Pro front light?

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:38 pm

I bought a Moon Rigel Pro front light from 99 Bikes a few weeks ago, and tonight I could not stop it turning itself off, despite being charged. I think what happened was it was in "Intelligent Operation" which according to the very brief manual ( https://moon-sport.com/wp-content/uploa ... 111-OP.pdf ), "Automatically turns to Stand By Mode (OFF) during daytime". I can't imagine why anyone would actually want this feature, but I found myself in the very annoying (and potentially dangerous) situation of it consistently turning itself off about 30 seconds after I turned it on. It was a little after sunset, i.e. low light but not complete darkness.

Before I complain of it being faulty... does anyone have experience in using it and keeping it out of this stupid "intelligent" mode?

DavidS

Re: Anyone use a Moon Rigel Pro front light?

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:37 pm

I recall the same problem, and agree, why I would want it to turn off automatically, in fact, do anything automatically, I don't know.

Can't remember how to turn auto mode off, but I have got that mode turned off permanently - some combo of button presses, I think when the light is off. It took a close reading of the manual to work it out.

Good light, but that auto mode is just silly. Would never buy a bike light with this "feature" by choice. I do find it frustrating that they build in completely needless complexity into what should be a simple light. More to go wrong presumably too but mine are going well (I have 2 on 2 bikes).

I suspect we will see more of this. Lights will presumably get artificial so-called intelligence sooner or later . . . and I will avoid them like the plague.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:51 pm

DavidS wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:37 pm
I recall the same problem, and agree, why I would want it to turn off automatically, in fact, do anything automatically, I don't know.

Can't remember how to turn auto mode off, but I have got that mode turned off permanently - some combo of button presses, I think when the light is off. It took a close reading of the manual to work it out.

I suspect we will see more of this. Lights will presumably get artificial so-called intelligence sooner or later . . . and I will avoid them like the plague.
Thanks. I did some fiddling (before seeing your reply, in fact before my first post) but what is frustrating me now is that I have no way of knowing if it worked! Did I disable "intelligent" operation? ... or has it stopped "intelligently" turning off because it's night time? My morning ride is in daylight so I guess I will find out tomorrow!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:19 pm

I probably wouldn't fuss too much; if it's anything like the other Moon lights we sold when I was in the biz until a couple of years ago, it'll die completely in another few months......
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:56 am

Duck! wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:19 pm
I probably wouldn't fuss too much; if it's anything like the other Moon lights we sold when I was in the biz until a couple of years ago, it'll die completely in another few months......
Yeah I purchased some Moon lights from a bikeshop in Brisbane about a decade ago.
These ones were small and light and with a great attachment system.
But i soon stopped using them because they seemed to have a mind of their own.
Sometimes wouldn’t turn on and sometimes wouldn’t turn off :roll:

I moved away from Brisbane soon after that so I never went back to the bikeshop to bitch and moan.

Anyway a decade later I have dragged them out of the cupboard and charged them up because I did a silly thing and left my little Specialized flashers beside the road somewhere

Well lo and behold after a decade in the cupboard these little Moon lights seem to work perfectly now !
And with the great attachment system I think I am going to have them for a long while.
Until they stop working next time !

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:31 am

DavidS wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:37 pm
Thanks, I found it: press for 3 seconds while it is off (page 3 of https://moon-sport.com/wp-content/uploa ... 111-OP.pdf , "Operation")

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:27 pm

I have found Moon lights pretty reliable. I had a couple of Cateye front lights which died fairly quickly especially if it rained.

Peter, that does sound familiar, pressing the button for ages while off. Hopefully it worked. It is a "feature" better described as a bug.

Good lights, I have 2 of them, 1 for each bike (so, I always have a back up).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)