RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
CmdrBiggles

Re: RUOK?

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:14 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:11 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Any relation to Russell and Tasman?

Jack Russell and Abel Tasman...??
No, I don't think so!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw your surname in the photo link. A couple of strong cyclists here by that name. One is very much national level ;) Nice approachable, humble, fellas, both of them :)

Good to know.
My days of being a strong cyclist are, I think well behind me. :( I'm just having a bloody good time going fast now. :wink:
Nankervis can be found all around England (Cornwall esp.), Ireland, Wales... and can be linked through onerous familial ancestry (such a task would I think be several thousand branches and cost a few pretty thousands too. If we can borrow your credit card, we could crack on and make a good start, hmm? :o ).
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Not known to you. No worries.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:56 pm

These pics (from Flickr) show the two most recent major jobs to remove invasive SCCs on R/ ear middle helix and R/ hand dorsal.
I've had the pleasure of racing with Russ & Tas in HPV teams a few times. Phenomenal riders, but at the same time really down to earth & friendly guys.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:02 pm

Duck! wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:46 pm
warthog1 wrote:
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:56 pm

These pics (from Flickr) show the two most recent major jobs to remove invasive SCCs on R/ ear middle helix and R/ hand dorsal.
I've had the pleasure of racing with Russ & Tas in HPV teams a few times. Phenomenal riders, but at the same time really down to earth & friendly guys.
That'll be them ;)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Results back from the ear and not good. I'm seeing the Plastics Surgeon next month to find out how much more I'll lose. :( It's is disappointing and I was in a real downer for a few days after I got told.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:11 pm

Truly sorry to hear that Foo, it's really been a bit of a battle for you.

I Can't imagine what you've been going through and I often have to tell myself what ever is wrong with me, someone else is getting a much rawer deal.

Hang in there mate....We're all cheering for you.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All the best Foo. Hopefully they can sort it out quick smart.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:44 am

brumby33 wrote: Truly sorry to hear that Foo, it's really been a bit of a battle for you.

I Can't imagine what you've been going through and I often have to tell myself what ever is wrong with me, someone else is getting a much rawer deal.

Hang in there mate....We're all cheering for you.

Cheers

brumby33
warthog1 wrote: All the best Foo. Hopefully they can sort it out quick smart.

Thanks blokes, I know it's not a massive thing in the scheme of life but it very disappointing and for one needing to wear reading glasses, that creates a problem with them sitting on your head and not to mention the sunnies for driving and riding if the whole ear ends up going. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:39 am

Hopefully the whole lot doesn't go Foo. :(
What is most important is they get it all as I'm sure you know.
Be nice to put that behind you I imagine.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:44 am

Thanks blokes, I know it's not a massive thing in the scheme of life but it very disappointing and for one needing to wear reading glasses, that creates a problem with them sitting on your head and not to mention the sunnies for driving and riding if the whole ear ends up going. :(

Foo

It can be an overly massive thing if you dwell on it intensively. That is the thing to avoid.
I doubt very, very much you'll have so little ear remaining that there is nowhere for your glasses to sit. It is also not an outcome that plastic surgeons (maxillofacial) actively pursue — they can reconstruct an ear from other body areas.

A suggestion about the emotional side of it. Get in touch with a social worker if if niggles you, and also somebody like a registrar who can shed more light on what you will have done (a registrar is the go-between to the surgeon). It may sound like chasing windmills in a chaotic hospital system, but talking about it does work wonders. I went through all this and it helped enormously in understanding and preparing. People often do not know or are unaware of the peripheral help available to them when confronted with surgery that has an emotional undertow.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:04 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:39 am
Hopefully the whole lot doesn't go Foo. :(
What is most important is they get it all as I'm sure you know.
Be nice to put that behind you I imagine.

Yeah because it's the gift that keeps giving at the moment. :roll:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:08 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:44 am

Foo

It can be an overly massive thing if you dwell on it intensively. That is the thing to avoid.
I doubt very, very much you'll have so little ear remaining that there is nowhere for your glasses to sit. It is also not an outcome that plastic surgeons (maxillofacial) actively pursue — they can reconstruct an ear from other body areas.

A suggestion about the emotional side of it. Get in touch with a social worker if if niggles you, and also somebody like a registrar who can shed more light on what you will have done (a registrar is the go-between to the surgeon). It may sound like chasing windmills in a chaotic hospital system, but talking about it does work wonders. I went through all this and it helped enormously in understanding and preparing. People often do not know or are unaware of the peripheral help available to them when confronted with surgery that has an emotional undertow.

I'm all good on that side of things, it was the day when I got the call to say that it ain't finished yet and they don't know how much still needs to go. The ear seems to take a long time to heal for whatever reason and then remains very sensitive after the healing has completed. :shock:

I might need to ask for a battery implant to hold my glasses up on that side? :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:21 am

Recently:

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/how-ni ... 5jsb9.html

Good on them for being alert.

And hopefully the poor guy gets the help he needs to get back into a good space.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:25 am

^^ There are still some good people out there. :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:29 am

Yep, good to see there are kind thoughtful people who care.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:55 pm

Feeling a bit flat tonight, due to getting notification that an old cycling mate has died. :( He was just slightly older than me but rode between 15 n 20,000klms a year, so was pretty fit. It was a heart attack that got him and apparently he had done his morning ride yesterday.

I don't know if he had family history of heart problems but his mother died only a few months ago and was in her early 80's but his father had died many years ago.

So what I'm saying is for the love of life, get your cadivascular system checked out and have it done every few years because you could have an unknown problem just ticking away waiting to nail the lid on your coffin and not even know about it. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:39 pm

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/t ... e3c81e1cb7

That's something most of us would not have to deal with, let alone having the pressure of being on live TV when it happens. Kudos to the him for handling it in a really calm way and the other presenters too for how they took over.

Well done to them all. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:33 pm

Very sad to hear that former England cricketer Graham Thorpe took his own life after battling with depression and anxiety, despite the support of his family & many treatments.

I wish we knew the answers, but I'm not sure we even know the right questions
Anything you can do, I can do slower

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:39 pm

That's something most of us would not have to deal with, let alone having the pressure of being on live TV when it happens. Kudos to the him for handling it in a really calm way and the other presenters too for how they took over.

Terrific professionalism. It does put a new angle on 'weathering the storm'. :wink:

I think there was another presenter on some network some years back who had panic attacks; they spoke of the sudden bright lights and cues bringing on a sweat and trembles. Can't recall if it was SBS or ABC.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:33 pm
Very sad to hear that former England cricketer Graham Thorpe took his own life after battling with depression and anxiety, despite the support of his family & many treatments.

I wish we knew the answers, but I'm not sure we even know the right questions
Sometimes no matter how hard you try, people end up in a terrible dark place and that’s the only way they know out of it. :(

It’s a tragic thing. :( Sometimes you don’t know until it’s too late.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:39 pm

That was very well handled 8) :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:31 pm

Panic attacks suck hard. I had a few after I had the strokes back in 2013, and had no idea whether I was having another stroke or what the first time. Was alone in the office/yard and managed to call 000 and got a stroke ambulance within like 10 minutes. Those boys don't muck around. Another night in the stroke ward and was ok. Was actually pretty full on at the time tho.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:00 pm

fat and old wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:31 pm
Panic attacks suck hard. I had a few after I had the strokes back in 2013, and had no idea whether I was having another stroke or what the first time. Was alone in the office/yard and managed to call 000 and got a stroke ambulance within like 10 minutes. Those boys don't muck around. Another night in the stroke ward and was ok. Was actually pretty full on at the time tho.

A bit like anxiety attacks and thinking you're having a heart attack if really bad. :(

My experience with anxiety attacks was my breathing would become fast, my throat tighten up, my voice become laboured for any sort of volume and light headed. The Dr's kept trying to tell me that I was depressed and gave me drugs that just made me feel like crap and then I saw a Dr that dealt with mental health as well as normal GP thingies and did a series of tests and then said.......You're having anxiety attacks. :shock:

Anxiety and panic attacks can show/manifest themselves in different ways and there in lies the problem for people because once you start having one, you immediately start stressing about what is going on and unless you actually know the signs of one happing, you will start freaking out thinking the worst and hence why people should be more vigilant with others around them. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:13 pm

Op done and now too wait for the biopsy results and hopefully no more operations, the skin graft was teken from the base of my neck and stuck on to the area that was reamed out. :) So put sunscreen all over your ears. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:13 pm

Hope they got it all Foo. :)