New Trek Marlin 7 MTB

brumby33

New Trek Marlin 7 MTB

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:21 pm

I never thought I'd go through with it but Trek were having their EOFYS and I've been toying with the idea about buying a MTB just to do some of the great trails in the Albury area.....nothing too sketchy & dangerous but there's some good trails to be had around here and starting only down the road from my house.

So I went down to my Trek dealership today in town and had a look at the Marlin 7 in a Bronze/Orange colour, 29ers with Maxxi Tyres, I think around 2.4" tyres
The difference in specs to this one compared to the next below is huge at only $100 difference in price.

One of the differences were the Sram 1 x 12 set and the standard dropper post which will come in handy for adjusting seat height.

Shimano Hydraulic discs ....yeah i'm stoked....can't wait to take it on my first trails.....

Hopefully my tool for losing some serious weight :P

I've ummed and aaahed for too long and I thought bugger it.....it's cost is the same as 1 years gym membership.

Was $1899, bought today $1399 so $500 off.....I thought why not.

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bike ... ode=orange

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

am50em

Re: New Trek Marlin 7 MTB

Postby am50em » Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Should be great fun to ride!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Sounds good. Hope you enjoy.the trails. 1x12 will be plenty of gears. The dropper post is meant to be set to your regular ride height at max extension. Then lower the saddle out of the way for technical descents to allow you to get your weight back. You want to be able to push the releasw and have it snap back to regualr height every time.

Having not had a dropper for most of my MTB life I find I forget to use it on descents and use it more when stopping and putting both feet on the ground while in the saddle!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:24 pm

bychosis wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:42 pm
Sounds good. Hope you enjoy.the trails. 1x12 will be plenty of gears. The dropper post is meant to be set to your regular ride height at max extension. Then lower the saddle out of the way for technical descents to allow you to get your weight back. You want to be able to push the releasw and have it snap back to regualr height every time.

Having not had a dropper for most of my MTB life I find I forget to use it on descents and use it more when stopping and putting both feet on the ground while in the saddle!
That is a good point re: Dropper post.....is that something I can adjust for myself or do I need the workshop to do it? I've never had one before but I do know it's good to have when standing on pedals for faster narly terrain so the seat don't keep hitting you up the butt every time the back wheel gets thrown up hahaha.
I don't think i'll be doing anything heroic anytime fast but when I get used to the bike and the trails, then maybe i'll get a bit more gamer.

They are saying that Mountain Biking is great for keeping you fit because you're not just sitting and pedalling as on a road bike but you're always moving around the cockpit of the bike manouvering around obstacles so I can see it'd be good for the core, legs and upper body, that is what I'm after, I thought, i could either join a Gym or buy a MTB of course I chose the latter as this will give me many years of fun where the Gym will probably bore me to tears.....I've never really liked gyms.....too many ego driven he-men in there, and I can't compete :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:54 pm

My experience with droppers is limited, but the dropper is a dropper slide within a regular seatpost. Adjust the fully extended post as per usual at the seat tube junction. Most likely to be an Allen bolt rather than a quick release. Back in the day lots of MTBs had QR seatposts so you could easily drop the saddle for a descent.

I hear you on the gym. I loath spin bikes and treadmills. Much rather actually be moving.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:21 pm

Picked a good day to go and pick it up.....it was forecasted to rain sometime after midday but it started as soon as 10.30am....it was raining ever so slightly as I waited for the bus to take me into town, I was tempted to go back home and grab my rain poncho but it would have meant that I'd have to wait another hour for the bus so yeah, i forwent my rain gear....got to the bike shop and the rain was just a little heavier but not soaking.
After sorting a few things, i rode away from the shop on my new Trek....feel like doing the Toyota jump, just getting used to the gearing, adjusting the dropper post and off I went....rode 8kms to home and the rain getting a bit heavier but not too bad, no wind which was good and a sombre 13C on this dreary Winter's day....the bike feels quite good, the gearing is very well spaced out, 30T on the front and 11-50 on the back and I was surprised just how easily these fat knobby tyres are rolling, almost effortlessly, felt more freer or not much different as the Vivente in rolling resistance, I just got to get more comfy or adjust to the lower handlebar arrangement but the bike in M/L half size felt perfect. There's a sticker on the handlebar says Competition Bars....well don't know about that but we'll see how i adapt.
It sure gave me a work out on the way home, the ol ticker was pumping away like a steam train.....it felt good!!

I love riding my touring bike but this MTB just gives me a new horizon and can't wait to hit some trails around the Albury area.....

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:23 pm

Re: dropper posts, mostly you adjust them as if it's a normal seat post. Some do also allow adjustment of the travel itself, so if the post is already all the way into the frame, you can reduce how much it extends.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:46 pm

blizzard wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:23 pm
Re: dropper posts, mostly you adjust them as if it's a normal seat post. Some do also allow adjustment of the travel itself, so if the post is already all the way into the frame, you can reduce how much it extends.
One thing i've learnt is say you made it come back up again, before letting go of the lever, if it's a tad too tall, just put my weight on it till it feels right and let go of the lever.....it's actually a pretty useful tool to have

VWR Patagonia 2017

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:11 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:21 pm

It sure gave me a work out on the way home, the ol ticker was pumping away like a steam train.....it felt good!!

I love riding my touring bike but this MTB just gives me a new horizon and can't wait to hit some trails around the Albury area.....

Cheers

brumby33
Don't forget to budget for a new wardrobe of clothing to fit the new 25kg lighter brumby in a few months time.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:31 pm

You'll.have to.get used to adjusting the tyre pressures too. Higher for general rudingntonreduce rolling resistance. Lower for grip on more technical trails.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:45 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:11 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:21 pm

Cheers

brumby33
Don't forget to budget for a new wardrobe of clothing to fit the new 25kg lighter brumby in a few months time.
Mate if I can lose that much, I'm definite going to shout myself some new clobber, :lol: but my goal is not just to lose weight but to build up my overall fitness, it's now or never at 64.
I'm currently at 98kgs, first time is over 20 years I've been under the triple figures, I would love to get down to the mid 80's, that will take a while but I'm determined. I plan to make these bicycles earn their keep.
bychosis wrote: You'll.have to.get used to adjusting the tyre pressures too. Higher for general rudingntonreduce rolling resistance. Lower for grip on more technical trails.
Yes True, these are those Presta valves, but i think in this beginning, I won't be doing anything technical in the trail department. but while on that subject, what would you suggest the lower limit say on loose gravel....around 20 psi? lower? Higher?

VWR Patagonia 2017

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:59 pm

20 sounds too low. Try starting with firm but not squishy, maybe 35. I run my tubeless tyres a bit over 30 for general riding and drop it to 25ish for when I want to corner faster and ride single track. Hard core riders will drop to low 20s - tubeless.

Again with the 'back in the day' I ran 40 in tubed tyres to prevent pinch flats. Then the thinking changed to lower pressures being better for grip and comfort and began riding 30-35 with tubes which improved grip without costing more pinch flats. Tubeless means you can drop pressures more without the risk of pinch flats.