Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby Anrai » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:26 pm
The red chain makes it go faster

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:20 pm

More seriously, and pardon any mechanical ignorance, but what does the derailleur do here when the chain appears to be hooked up to a single-speed sprocket?

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:53 pm

Anrai wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:20 pm
More seriously, and pardon any mechanical ignorance, but what does the derailleur do here when the chain appears to be hooked up to a single-speed sprocket?
It might be mainly to function as a chain tensioner.
My understanding is that on single-speed drivetrains you need to have the correct amount of chain tension to make it work properly.
I guess that this is even more important in a device like this which generates forces that are much greater than just human leg power.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:26 am

Stealth H-52 with a lazy 6.2 kW
Anrai wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:20 pm
It might be mainly to function as a chain tensioner.
My understanding is that on single-speed drivetrains you need to have the correct amount of chain tension to make it work properly.
I guess that this is even more important in a device like this which generates forces that are much greater than just human leg power.
Used to be one around my way - the derailleur, like the chain and pedals, is purely decorative - driven on the throttle via a rear hub motor so there's no power going through the chain
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:26 am

Yep, you’re right. That’s a massive rear hub motor and presumably throttle driven. The chain and pedals are there as a thin pretence of legality.

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005188639036.html

Says it's 12000W and goes 110km/h.

Too expensive for me. Although it'd be good for blasting up some of the steep local trails.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:30 pm

tpcycle wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:39 pm
jasonc wrote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005188639036.html

Says it's 12000W and goes 110km/h.

Too expensive for me. Although it'd be good for blasting up some of the steep local trails.
110km/h on a vehicle shaped like that? Sounds like a recipe for instant organ donor. I think this is one of the reasons I DON'T buy anything from Ali Express: they don't seem to spend any time keeping up to date on the laws of their customer's countries, to see if they're trying to sell something that can't actually be legally used. :? Even if they can legally sell such items, it's ethically questionable.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:41 pm

That actually looks positively civilised compared to some of the home brewed big hub drive throttle controlled ones I've seen around Brisbane. They're usually based on some cheapo mountainbike, running cable discs and skinnier tyres, and presumably with 5kW+ given how fast they go.

Anyone who spends $14k on something like that clearly really doesn't want to pay registration. That'd be a decent road registered dirt bike.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:23 am

Ran into an idiot on an actual e-bike today on the veloway, as opposed to the usual scooter.

Tailed me at 35km/hr+ average for 5km southbound (the northern part, so it's pretty hilly) lazily turning the pedals on his flatbar converted mountainbike. Then took off doing 50km/hr+ uphill on the climb leading up to the new O'Keefe Street bridge.

Moron. No idea why he was sitting so close without passing given he clearly had over 1kW at his disposal. And if you're going to do that at least give me a draft rather than blasting past twisting your e-throttle thanks!

If the bike doesn't kill him another cyclist will.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:23 am
Ran into an idiot on an actual e-bike today on the veloway, as opposed to the usual scooter.

Tailed me at 35km/hr+ average for 5km southbound (the northern part, so it's pretty hilly) lazily turning the pedals on his flatbar converted mountainbike. Then took off doing 50km/hr+ uphill on the climb leading up to the new O'Keefe Street bridge.

Moron. No idea why he was sitting so close without passing given he clearly had over 1kW at his disposal. And if you're going to do that at least give me a draft rather than blasting past twisting your e-throttle thanks!

If the bike doesn't kill him another cyclist will.
Probably overheating motor, had to let it cool before continued.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:59 am

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:25 pm

Read the comments
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/VHgtFJ ... tid=xfxF2i

If you still think pmds are a good idea in Australia let me know

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:27 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:25 pm
Read the comments
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/VHgtFJ ... tid=xfxF2i

If you still think pmds are a good idea in Australia let me know

They may not be a good idea to you, but I can assure you they do have their place!

e-scooters have been shown by spot studies to work well integrated into multimodal transport systems in the city (tram, train, bus, walking., etc), but with considerably less efficacy and timeliness in regional and country areas e.g. Ballarat. The behaviour being seen by e-scooter riders (predominantly) is due to the fact they were introduced to the market quickly and fall into an unregulated (ergo, not legislated) grey area. Inconveniently, this has left the gates wide open to abuse. That grey area has opened up the environment to seeing them being used as a brutal form of law-flouting, intimidation and ignorance, beside being ridden at excessive speeds and where they are clearly not permitted to be. By and by, it is adults who are committing the sins, not children riding e-scooters to school or students to University. We see this (and a lot more!) in the Melbourne City e-scooter Trial; all of the problems of behaviour, speed, reckless endangerment, riding without helmets etc., DIU, etc have been brought to the State Government's notice (with no response), but again very recently, the trial — green-ticked by the State Government, rather than halted to sort out legislation and regulatory paths, was again extended, pretty much flabbergasting the Melbourne City Council that needs to know what is happening going forward, so that infrastructure can be properly investigated incorporated into the road landscape (separated lanes for e-devices and bikes, for example).

I am not interested in the childish populist carnival barking of Facebook, and that certainly is not the sort of place you'd go seeking facts.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP
2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:06 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:27 pm
I am not interested in the childish populist carnival barking of Facebook, and that certainly is not the sort of place you'd go seeking facts.
Fact: I must see 100 pmds every week
Fact: I see on average 1 pmd rider riding legally per week