What did you do with your bike(s) today?

warthog1

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:26 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:37 pm
Just ordered a rear light camera (magic shine seeme 30) for my Wheeler or 29er and 12-32 cassette and 105 medium cage that will go onto my Scott Foil. :mrgreen:

Foo
Do you mean the seemee dv?
https://www.magicshine.com.au/products/ ... hr-runtime

Good price. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:26 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:37 pm
Just ordered a rear light camera (magic shine seeme 30) for my Wheeler or 29er and 12-32 cassette and 105 medium cage that will go onto my Scott Foil. :mrgreen:

Foo
Do you mean the seemee dv?
https://www.magicshine.com.au/products/ ... hr-runtime

Good price. :)

Yeah, I couldn't justify spending an extra $300 for the Garmin one or getting the cheaper one that would go beep beep when there was something coming behind me. This one, if I put an bigger SD card in, won't over write any data on a longer ride. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:46 pm

The radar shows you how many are coming and how far away they are. It can wake you up if you are day dreaming. Good to know if something is there or not before you vary your line but I always still look. Haven't had any false negatives though. More important than the camera for me.

That looks like a good camera though.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:20 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:46 pm
The radar shows you how many are coming and how far away they are. It can wake you up if you are day dreaming. Good to know if something is there or not before you vary your line but I always still look. Haven't had any false negatives though. More important than the camera for me.

That looks like a good camera though.

I've tuned my hearing for listening to what's coming, a bit like when I'm racing on the Track, I'm listening for a change in the tone for what is going on around me and 9 times out of 10, I know when someone is making a jump or getting close to me in a sprint. :idea: I'll also take rego numbers over just knowing there is a car or whatever coming. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:20 pm

Enjoy. Hope it goes well 8)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:39 pm

I bought some new tyres for the latest addition (32mm) and swapped them over. Front wheel was fine but the back wheel is hitting on the front changer cable guide. :evil: When I looked at the changer, it is about 20mm above the outter chainring, which it won't pull up onto :roll: so tomorrow I will drop it to where it should be and hopefully the wheel will rotate without rubbing on it. :idea:

Also purchased a Ravemen 1000lum front light and will put that on the road training bike, plus my rear camera arrived along with the 105 medium cage rear and a 12-30t 10sp cassette that will go onto a set of racing wheels that I use for the Scott foil. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 pm

Got the front changer sorted out although I'm still not sure of why it was happening, I ended up grabbing both levers and pulling them together at the same time and it fixed the problem. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:59 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 pm
Got the front changer sorted out although I'm still not sure of why it was happening, I ended up grabbing both levers and pulling them together at the same time and it fixed the problem. :shock:
Foo
Might be just me or the camera angle but your rear wheel looks a bit offset to the left? :?

Richard

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:35 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:59 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 pm
Foo
Might be just me or the camera angle but your rear wheel looks a bit offset to the left? :?

Richard

I was standing off to the side. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:10 pm

Woke up to a beautiful sunny Sunday morning at my accomodation venue in the Brisbane suburb of Carole Park.
An outer suburb right on the boundary of Ipswich City Council and more known for Warehouses and factories etc than suburban life.

A relatively easy location from which to do a lap of Coottha.
The good thing about industrial areas is that they are almost deserted on a Sunday morning.

Probably almost deserted all day on a Sunday.
Very easy cycling, as long as you pay attention to avoiding some of the detritus that accumulates in the so-called “bicycle lanes”

Soon on the Centenary Bicycle Path.
Only the true believers out on the path until you get to the Brisbane River crossing.
This is now a construction zone for an expansion of the 4-lane bridge so there are a few hazards to avoid, such as the obligatory workplace health and safety 10 km/hr Speed limit advisory
From here on, conditions are different. Frequent small groups of chattering cyclists. Good

Some road crossings - bad.
Even at 7 am on a Sunday morning these motorway entry/exit ramps are busy - not like they were 20 years ago
But despite its limitations the Western Freeway bike path is a blessing, for which we owe gratitude to people in Brisbane City Council long ago.
It’s a pity that inspiring projects like this don’t occur more frequently.
Coottha doesn’t change much - fortunately.
It was perfect this morning.
There are a lot more cars parked around the base of Coottha these days than there used to be.
Which probably means that the active-minded members of the community actually need more places in which to walk, run and cycle on a Sunday morning.
Places that are pleasant, safe, interesting and attractive enough to motivate people to want to enjoy the early morning sunshine.

crog

Postby crog » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:58 pm

tinkered with my new one and started on old ones. ill let you work it out

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:29 am

I pulled the Fly12 apart and tossed the old batteries and replaced with new ones but with all of the bending back of the power wires to the headlight and camera from the motherboard, both the negative and positive wires broke at the soldier points on the board. :evil: Has anyone re-soldiered wires back onto these points without damaging the circuitry? :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:29 pm

• Pumped up both tyres in prep for my usual Sat'day morning ride (possibly Sunday too).
• Substituted the well-served large Blackburn saddle pack,for the small version
• Updated computer firmware and recharged
• Added a Castelli fluoro yellow racing cut spray jacket to my kit, stored in a BBB bidon cannister until needed
(along with freckles, jersey caramels and tissues...).

Shortest day of the year today means from tomorrow the days get ever-so-slightly longer! Roll on Spring... 8)
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP
2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:47 pm

Another packet of goodies picked up from parcel locker today.

The original Bontrager Carbon Pro bottle cages are not gripping well. It is a fact that cannot be denied, despite trying to convince myself that I was imagining it. The tap-tap-tappity of the bottle (CamelBak Podium) twerking to and fro is not welcome. This is not the first time I have experienced insufficient (and worsening) grip of carbon bidon cages. I'm beginning to like Bontrager stuff. And not in a good sort of way.

Sooooo...onto the TCR goes two classic-form, US-made Silca Sicuro titanium cages, in natural (pale gold) colour, each secured with Prototipo Works stainless steel cage bolts in Sedona PVD.

I can picture the weight-weanies getting all hot and sweaty about a sudden gain in grams from this switch-a-roo... :lol:
I'm not losing any sleep going from 23gm carbon to to 30gm ti... 8)
Last edited by CmdrBiggles on Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:41 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:47 pm
Another packet of goodies picked up from parcel locker today.

The original Bontrager Carbon Pro bottle cages are not gripping well. It is a fact that cannot be denied, despite trying to convince myself that I was imagining it. The tap-tap-tappity of the bottle (CamelBak Podium) twerking to and fro is not welcome. This is not the first time I have experienced insufficient (and worsening) grip of carbon bidon cages. I'm beginning to like Bontrager stuff. And not in a good sort of way.

Sooooo...onto the TCR goes two classic-form, US-made Silca Sicura titanium cages, in natural (pale gold) colour, each secured with Prototipo Works stainless steel cage bolts in Sedona PVD.

I can picture the weight-weanies getting all hot and sweaty about a sudden gain in grams from this switch-a-roo... :lol:
I'm not losing any sleep going from 23gm carbon to to 30gm ti... 8)
Ooh, 7 grams, that's some penalty!

When I bought a titanium bike I looked at titanium bottle cages, but the price eventually scared me away (the rack was another matter, talk about pricey, but I still got it as I was using the bike for commuting). I ended up with a velo orange made from stainless steel and it only weighs 34 grams, only 6 grams more than the King Cage titanium.

In any case, I liked the look of the velo orange:

Sometimes you just have to go with the weight penalty :D

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:28 pm

^^^ That's a strange take on the traditional bidon cage shape, and wide variants thereof.

7...grams... :lol: :lol:

Nup. What gives ... when folk sweat over such teeny-weeny details, yet don't think twice about putting two full 750ml bottles in the cages, adding very significant weight? My focus is not necessarily nor wholly on weight — gains or losses, but strength and suitability for the task. With the cages I have swapped in, I have gone back to the time-honoured robust form that we all knew and trusted so well in our bicycle touring days, often back then having 2 or 4 bidon cages (two in the triangle, one mounted each upper front fork) for long haul touring.

Titanium pannier racks didn't exist in the 1980s and 1990s, although Minoura did experiment with this material around 1995-1996 (?).
We were having enough trouble with Jim Blackburn alloy racks — notoriously soft and fatigue-prone material that pannier hooks and screws easily chewed through; breakages at the dropout eyelet where the rack attached were numerous. Karrimor didn't get off scot-free either: broken pieces were fixed on the go with a wheel spoke or two (carried as a spare inside the handlebars) and taped all along its length.

There is a Ti bike manufacturer in Geelong that also offers Ti bidon cages.
I'm not game enough to ask how much their gleaming bikes cost, never mind the must-have accessory of a Ti bidon cage or two — probably thrown in gratis after you've handed over the moolah... :lol:

• SILCA Sicuro 3-2.5 titanium cage

Last edited by CmdrBiggles on Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:34 am

CmdrBiggles wrote: There is a Ti bike manufacturer in Geelong that also offers Ti bidon cages.
I'm not game enough to ask how much their gleaming bikes cost, never mind the must-have accessory of a Ti bidon cage or two — probably thrown in gratis after you've handed over the moolah... :lol:
I think you're referring to Baum Cycles. Beautiful bikes but fearfully expensive.
Put it this way; a bloke I sometimes ride with was the CEO of a small-medium sized company (about 70 employees I think).
On retirement he had the choice between a gold Rolex or a titanium Baum of roughly equal value.
He opted for the bike. So would I. :D

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:28 am

Tim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:34 am

Put it this way; a bloke I sometimes ride with was the CEO of a small-medium sized company (about 70 employees I think).
On retirement he had the choice between a gold Rolex or a titanium Baum of roughly equal value.
Yes, absolutely no comparison. The Baum it is!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:40 am

Went down a few teeth up front, now running a 46T 1x set up. Perth is fairly flat :D

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:34 am

I think you're referring to Baum Cycles. Beautiful bikes but fearfully expensive.

Yes, that's it, Baum, at North Shore.
Until he went into coloured framesets (stock or custom), the frames were natural, highly polished titanium and quite a sight indeed. Now you need to look for the BAUM stainless steel insignia on the head-tube front to know exactly, and without any doubt, it is the Real McCoy (and a really, really expensive McCoy, too!! :lol: )

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:41 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:40 am
Went down a few teeth up front, now running a 46T 1x set up. Perth is fairly flat :D

Looks good 8)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:55 pm

The titanium rack I have is very minimal, it looks like this:

I used it for quite a while commuting, I never had any trouble with it and it is still on my bike.

As for the somewhat different design of the bottle cage, it is great. Holds the bidon securely and grabbing the bidon is really easy. Best bottle cage I have ever had.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)