The death of mass ride events in Australia?

g-boaf

Re: The death of mass ride events in Australia?

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:14 am
Sydney to gong cancelled
https://www.msgongride.org.au/blog/event-notification
It was pouring with rain today, if it had gone ahead there would have been accidents everywhere.

Unfortunate for people who rode out to the start in pouring rain. But I suppose the trend now is people put their bike in the car to drive to the ride, then drive back. :|

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:21 pm
jasonc wrote:
Sydney to gong cancelled
It was pouring with rain today, if it had gone ahead there would have been accidents everywhere.

Unfortunate for people who rode out to the start in pouring rain. But I suppose the trend now is people put their bike in the car to drive to the ride, then drive back. :|
Cancelling it as 6am was I guess a case of better late than never. I was woken up a 2:30am by rain pounding down on our roof. It continued all morning. I think any sane person would not have have bothered heading out to the start.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:09 pm

queequeg wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:43 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:21 pm
jasonc wrote:
Sydney to gong cancelled

Cancelling it as 6am was I guess a case of better late than never. I was woken up a 2:30am by rain pounding down on our roof. It continued all morning. I think any sane person would not have have bothered heading out to the start.
I was hoping to do my regular ride today and even set my alarm to wake up. So I did that, heard the rain then went back to sleep. Not worth going out in that and all the risks, as you rightly point out.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 pm

I received an email from Westcycle today saying that the Dams Challenge 2024 event has been cancelled… cost, insurance, turnout, weather, Covid and general lack of enthusiasm (?) were the main culprits… I don’t know where they got the lack of enthusiasm from… maybe the organizers thought it was all too hard… :-/

Anyway, more details and the full blurb from Westcycle is on their website.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 pm
I received an email from Westcycle today saying that the Dams Challenge 2024 event has been cancelled… cost, insurance, turnout, weather, Covid and general lack of enthusiasm (?) were the main culprits… I don’t know where they got the lack of enthusiasm from… maybe the organizers thought it was all too hard… :-/

The same thing pretty much killed off XC Endurance racing several years ago, even before it became an Untrendy branch of MTBing. Riders simply wouldn't commit to an event several months out if there was a possibility the weather might be nasty on the day. Race organisers need an indication of adequate commitment (i.e. paid-up entries) in order to be able to pay for necessary services, often at least in part, in advance of the event. If they don't get sufficient entries a decent time before the event, there's a big risk that they'll be facing bills the received entries won't cover.

So that's where "lack of enthusiasm" comes into the picture.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 am

Duck! wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 pm
Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 pm

The same thing pretty much killed off XC Endurance racing several years ago, even before it became an Untrendy branch of MTBing. Riders simply wouldn't commit to an event several months out if there was a possibility the weather might be nasty on the day. Race organisers need an indication of adequate commitment (i.e. paid-up entries) in order to be able to pay for necessary services, often at least in part, in advance of the event. If they don't get sufficient entries a decent time before the event, there's a big risk that they'll be facing bills the received entries won't cover.

I last rode the Dams a year or two before Covid shut down the event… we had about 1400 entries and it was fantastic… a huge turn out and great weather. I wanted to ride last year but I was going to be away on the day of the event so I had to give it a miss… not sure of the turnout and the weather was rainy for most of the day but a guy I spoke to who rode said it was one of the more enjoyable Dams rides he had done. I can remember about 5 years ago when we had three big/competitive grand fondo rides here in Perth … now it’s just sweet FA as far as the eye can see…. Maybe I’ll save my pennies and have a crack at the Taiwan KOM one day.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:41 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 am
.... Maybe I’ll save my pennies and have a crack at the Taiwan KOM one day.
Now that'd be one to be able to do !!

I would think that organisers need a committed (i.e. paid in full) increasing number to ensure an event breaks even. I think insurances and permits etc are the killer here, and even the TdU Community ride, whilst attracting good numbers that peaked around 6,000 (from memory, the last year I think was lucky to crack 2,000.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:22 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 am
Maybe I’ll save my pennies and have a crack at the Taiwan KOM one day.
Do the same for Haute Route Alps and Pyrenees too, pretty soon. They are the biggest and most complicated of the lot to do, massive 7 day events, lots of staff, support, accommodation,sometimes road closures, etc.

Interesting how the organisation changes from year to year. It was Ironman running it this year, now France Velo Evenements next year.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:48 am

Duck! wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 pm
I am on committees in a couple of not-for-profit organisations and my observation is that is a broader (dare I say post-COVID?) thing.

Trying to get people to turn up, in person is nigh impossible: events where previously we’d have 40 attendees are now “committee and friends” only.

Even online we’re seeing issues: a recent event had 60 (free) registrations and barely a third bothered to log in.

Quite why is a good question. But I have to confess I’m also reducing my pro-bono service commitments. Partially due to the increasing bureaucracy (because Canberra can run everything over Zoom they’re believing they should - see McChrystal “Team of Teams”).

But there’s also a fatigue/existential-nagging thing as well. So I’m going to focus more on what’s closer to home for a while.
</ramblings >
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:53 am

I was waiting for the Dams Challenge to succumb to the same pressures listed in the existing article :-( I completed the 3 Dams, and failed the 5 after being unwell and underdone in the leadup, it's a shame that such mass ride events may become a thing of the past because I do like the energy and vibe of them.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:17 pm

Bobbin Head Classic is on for 2024, current early bird price is $120. I would pay that however it is on the same day as the Snowy Classic so doing that instead.

last year Bobbo was the week before Snowy, its a shame that is not the case this year.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:41 pm

Maybe people are just wary of spending money they might not get refunded if something is cancelled.

Or it’s a cost of living issue. All those McMansions and 2-3 premium SUVs per house must be difficult to afford now with high interest rates and fuel prices.

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:41 pm
Maybe people are just wary of spending money they might not get refunded if something is cancelled.

Or it’s a cost of living issue. All those McMansions and 2-3 premium SUVs per house must be difficult to afford now with high interest rates and fuel prices.
I believe this is having an enormous impact. Disposable incomes are diminishing and cycling events would not be a priority for people struggling to make mortgage and car loan repayments.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:15 pm

It is probably mentioned up thread but I blame Zwift and all the others. Virtual cycling may have originally been an adjunct to "real" outside cycling but has now increasingly become a substitute. Especially in Oz where you risk abuse or actual harm from inattentive, distracted, hostile and don't care motorists who are generally supported by our respected media and authorities (who don't care either). It is just easier to Zwift than to cycle outside and thus when it comes to events many people have lost the road skills, cold/wet conditioning and desire to ride outside. Even the hard women / men of Audax are getting soft, indicated by the Oz contingent for 2023 PBP being 50% (120>60) of what it was at its peak (in 2007) while the rest of the world have increased, overall by 50% and some countries by 200-300%. While I don't Zwift I am guilty too and often take to the smart trainer in the garage rather that going out because it is a bit cool or damp!
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive (Audax)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:15 pm
It is probably mentioned up thread but I blame Zwift and all the others. Virtual cycling may have originally been an adjunct to "real" outside cycling but has now increasingly become a substitute. Especially in Oz where you risk abuse or actual harm from inattentive, distracted, hostile and don't care motorists who are generally supported by our respected media and authorities (who don't care either). It is just easier to Zwift than to cycle outside and thus when it comes to events many people have lost the road skills, cold/wet conditioning and desire to ride outside. Even the hard women / men of Audax are getting soft, indicated by the Oz contingent for 2023 PBP being 50% (120>60) of what it was at its peak (in 2007) while the rest of the world have increased, overall by 50% and some countries by 200-300%. While I don't Zwift I am guilty too and often take to the smart trainer in the garage rather that going out because it is a bit cool or damp!
Zwift found a market that works well, indoor cycling with a social aspect across the world. People have limited time as well so it's easy to jump on to Zwift and do your riding, if you get interrupted by work or other things, you stop, do what you need to do and get going again. You aren't huge distances away from home.

Good on Zwift for doing that - and they will continue to attract more people by adapting and improving their offering which they are actively doing. It's not a replacement for riding outside, but it's a sign of the times.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:58 pm

troiks75 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:17 pm
Bobbin Head Classic is on for 2024, current early bird price is $120. I would pay that however it is on the same day as the Snowy Classic so doing that instead.

last year Bobbo was the week before Snowy, its a shame that is not the case this year.
Actually Snowy Classic is on Saturday 23rd.
Bobbo Classic is on the following day, Sunday 24th. You could do it as a recovery ride :D

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:05 pm

caneye wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:58 pm
troiks75 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:17 pm

Actually Snowy Classic is on Saturday 23rd.
Bobbo Classic is on the following day, Sunday 24th. You could do it as a recovery ride :D
haha I wish. You are right though, different days but little chance people will do both.

This years SC almost killed me, chest infection 2 weeks out which impacted my training. I finished the 170km but was about 20 places from the bottom lol

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:07 pm

In 1 of his recent podcasts, Chris Miller remarked on the changing demography of mass event participants.
I have noticed that too - not your usual MAMILs but a much younger crowd and often a healthy mix of males and females.

There is A LOT of new riders who came into the sport in the past few years, during Covid.
Some have stopped but many have continued riding.

However - they are not into clubs, racing, nor long-distance events.

I think you'll see some event numbers slowly grow based on their participation alone. I thought this was quite evident in the shorter distances of Bowral Classic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:59 pm

caneye wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:07 pm
In 1 of his recent podcasts, Chris Miller remarked on the changing demography of mass event participants.
I have noticed that too - not your usual MAMILs but a much younger crowd and often a healthy mix of males and females.

There is A LOT of new riders who came into the sport in the past few years, during Covid.

I think you'll see some event numbers slowly grow based on their participation alone. I thought this was quite evident in the shorter distances of Bowral Classic.
Some who previously were in the sport might have bailed out after covid - maybe they got too unfit after covid (or long term effects from covid) or just lost interest in riding.

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:53 pm

caneye wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:07 pm

I am one of these new people and have gotten into cycling in a big way, have done just under 35,000 km since May 2020. I train with a triathalon club and we also have quite a few people who are 'pandemic cyclists' like myself. Quite a few of us are cyclists only and most of us do the classics rides.
However, i see that the novelty has worn off for some and most of those did the 120km in Bowral and don't seem to be keen on uppping their training to try and complete the 150km ride which is a shame, only 30km extra.

We are trying to get a group together for Snowy classic but some of the new riders are intimidated by the climbs. The cost is another factor for young people who have just forked out for a new bike, shoes, helmet etc. However, if more of the younger crowd keep at it then we could see renewed interest.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:08 am

I just looked at the Westcycle homepage… talk about irony.

The opening banner says in large, loud headlines “More people riding bikes more often” … I think their website needs an update :-/

I’m still a bit gobsmacked that the Dams Challenge is no more…. I’ve ridden the 3 Dams three times and had unfinished business with that event before I planned to upgrade to the 5 Dams… I am/was training for it at the moment … now what do I do???

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:07 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:08 am
The opening banner says in large, loud headlines “More people riding bikes more often” … I think their website needs an update :-/
A problem is that Westcycle is trying to be too many things at once: a commercial organiser of non-races, some sort of UCI-like “peak body” for the various sporting clubs and an advocate for cycling-as-transport & vulnerable road users. All while not upsetting the government and other sources of funding.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm

Sad news

I have just received an email stating that the Snowy Classic 2025 has been cancelled due to increased operating costs. Refunds will be issued shortly.

I really enjoyed this event and am dissapointed that it is not going ahead. I wonder if state / local gov is no longer providing funding?

Bowral classic îs going ahead for now

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:20 pm

Here's a success story.

https://goforbroke.org.au/vic100/

He has managed to get Bells Line Of Road closed for this event.

It's the same group that does the annual Go For Broke event.

Edit: It’s expensive though.
Last edited by AndrewCowley on Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:38 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:15 pm
Zwift can't be blamed for the inaction of authorities to crack down on dangerous motorist behaviour and the equally dangerous media behaviour (the folk who stir up this anger).

Another issue is that money issues are bigger - people can't afford to spend extra dollars to go fly overseas on cycling events. It's a lot of money, add in security issues in certain key parts of the world and it's easy to say, fine, not going overseas.

People are even leaving Zwift for free alternatives.

Notice also now the big events like Haute Route are now just Pyrenees 2024 and Alps 2024. No more Dolomites, no other smaller events.

Used to be all manner of smaller 3 day events and at one stage there were four 7 day events, Rockies, Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites. Not anymore.