The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

am50em

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby am50em » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:07 pm

Managing more consistent riding (and some jogging) for last 4 weeks, keeping the load in the optimum area (according to intervals.icu). Garmin VO2max estimate has gone up 2.5 in a fairly linear fashion. Time to add some intensity to my rides to keep the improvement going.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:39 pm

60km with the A group in Zwift and I held up okay with no achilles pain. Fingers crossed I’m getting past that. I’ll keep wearing the brace for now.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:39 pm
60km with the A group in Zwift and I held up okay with no achilles pain. Fingers crossed I’m getting past that. I’ll keep wearing the brace for now.
Achilles tendinosis is a pain. I've had it on and off for at least 20 years - it generally used to flare in the week of a big running event where I'd already paid a non-refundable entry fee.

The answer for me ended up being the correct shoes - I ended up eventually seeing a podiatrist who informed me my gait and foot shape is completely normal, there's just a tendency for achilles tendinosis for some reason. A few pairs of shoes with the appropriate heel to toe drop (12mm apparently) and I haven't had an episode since.

~:text=Heel%20Drop%3A%20opt%20for%20sho ... %20tendon.

I had quite an expensive pair of Merrills I bought for a trip to Germany a few years back and found I literally could barely walk for a week after a 5km walk around Frankfurt. Ended up having to do a few laps of the Nurburgring in a heel brace and a pair of hiking boots because they were the only way it was manageable! Shoes went into the bin soon afterwards.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:09 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:41 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:39 pm
Achilles tendinosis is a pain. I've had it on and off for at least 20 years - it generally used to flare in the week of a big running event where I'd already paid a non-refundable entry fee.

Many years ago I tore the achilles, so with that in my mind I was super super cautious. Back then I could hard walk. I was slow as anything and it was damn painful. I was off any real activities for 10 weeks.

Today I did a fairly hard workout in Zwift (about 70 minutes long 4x9min) and it went okay.

But when this sort of thing flairs up it makes getting about very difficult.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:16 am

introducing some intervals 1-2 minutes in length. did a 2 minute then 3 x 1 minute on a climb this morning. yep. they hurt

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:42 pm

I did Alpe du Zwift yesterday and this morning - now with painful legs.

I had already done a fairly hard ride on Thursday so it's all caught up with me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:23 pm

I did low cadence intervals in Zwift this morning for about 50 minutes and this afternoon did Vipiteno to Passo Pennes (second time).

First time was IRL - amazingly still remembered the route. That’s a long and very steep climb with many sections constantly at 10% or more and bits topping out at 14%.

HR stayed at average 155bpm.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:49 am

Had a couple of solid outdoor training rides on the weekend - 2hr15 at NP 236W Saturday and 2hr45 at NP 242W on Sunday with 1555m elevation. Pretty happy sitting at 4W/kg for hours at the moment which is nice.

Managed to take the KOM on Brisbane's 9th steepest street 60km and 1400m into yesterday's ride. Old mark was 51 seconds, it's now 48.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:41 am

Very impressive numbers! I'd be happy to get to half of your W/kg numbers.
The last two rides has seen my power curve for the year improve across the range from 2 minutes to 90m. VO2max estimate continues to increase and hit 47 today. Heart rate is stable. Hopefully can continue the steady training and avoid injuries and illness.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:08 am

am50em wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:41 am
Very impressive numbers! I'd be happy to get to half of your W/kg numbers.
The last two rides has seen my power curve for the year improve across the range from 2 minutes to 90m. VO2max estimate continues to increase and hit 47 today. Heart rate is stable. Hopefully can continue the steady training and avoid injuries and illness.
Thanks! It's remarkably 'not useful' to have numbers like that outside very specific contexts - I reckon I could sit with a lead group in a lot of events now at least, but find my end time and speeds are generally determined by the group I end up in instead.

Have to work the weekend of the formal BVRT E2E so might try to take the southbound KOM instead - it's surprisingly slow because most races are held uphill. Six hours of hell should do it provided there's no flats (a big 'if').

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:37 pm

I did Fulgaz Alpe d’huez for a change.

Done in just over 56 minutes but no power in my legs today. If I went to an easier gear I just seemed to go slower so I just did 70rpm the entire way up and stuck it out to the end.

It is way different to the Zwift ADZ which I’m comparison isn’t as relentlessly steep. I suspect Zwift tweaked their virtual version to make it easier.

Zwift version doesn’t have the constant relentless steep section from the first left corner.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:40 pm

Fulgaz has a virtual Harrogate Street Circuit which matches the Zwift Yorkshire UCI course.

I was 30% faster with the same power in Zwift compared to Fulgaz, without significant drafting.

Zwift physics are extremely generous.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:09 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:40 pm
Fulgaz has a virtual Harrogate Street Circuit which matches the Zwift Yorkshire UCI course.

I was 30% faster with the same power in Zwift compared to Fulgaz, without significant drafting.

Zwift physics are extremely generous.
I cancelled my Zwift account today, I just got bored of the same old courses.

I probably should have sold my account instead - it had high levels and more than 30,000,000 drops. People actually will pay for those accounts.

Fulgaz is far more interesting.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:46 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:09 pm

I probably should have sold my account instead - it had high levels and more than 30,000,000 drops. People actually will pay for those accounts.

That's the problem isn't it? You really only get the choice of a handful of courses, and it seemed every time they introduced a new one it was just another flat sprinter's paradise.

Fulgaz is nowhere near as polished nor social, but they add more courses far more rapidly than anyone can ever ride them. There's always something new.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:30 am

The folks I used to ride with all ride at different times to me now (when they are nearly finished, I am starting) so the social aspect is not as much of an issue, we chat through other means.

It's probably better when there aren't social functions in the apps because then they can't be taken over by trolls and spammers. Trolling is a problem in Zwift - especially when some self-appointed chat-Police comes along and starts berating others for using the chat. Or worse, the inevitable political spam. Last one was Russia -v- Ukraine. We went faster to make our spammer have to ride faster when he got dropped. And closing 5 seconds on the "A" group isn't all that easy.

Too much spamming, not enough effort on riding. :|

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:09 pm

That is a significant move for you given the time spent on it.
No mucking around. Job done! :o
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:45 pm
That is a significant move for you given the time spent on it.
No mucking around. Job done! :o
Sometimes I'm blunt like that.

Yesterday I tried a climb called Zoncolan... Damn the last 2km of that are terrible. I had the wrong gearing configured on the kickr bike and ended up at 50rpm. :oops:

Today did one of my old IRL climbs, Col de Vars from Guillestre. I see the Fulgaz climb has that farm with the bloody big sprinkler going as well, you end up swerving to the wrong side of the road to avoid it if your timing is wrong. :lol: Or you sprint flat out if it's pointing the other way.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:27 pm

I did my fulgaz trial too early. Not sure it will work here with 4g mobile phone network via hotspot. Zwift does work and I can do it quickly and efficiently, as I am time poor when away at work, where I use it.
So despite me moaning anout the price rise, I have not changed :oops:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:15 pm

The zoncolan is the steepest climb in Italy. 2nd is mortirolo

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:22 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:15 pm
The zoncolan is the steepest climb in Italy. 2nd is mortirolo
I knew Zoncolan was steep, Cadel Evans book mentioned it so I knew it was steep, but yes, very very hard at the end. :shock:

Yesterday I did Madone from Menton - that's quite nice, not very steep but hard enough if you push the pace.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:30 am
It's probably better when there aren't social functions in the apps because then they can't be taken over by trolls and spammers. Trolling is a problem in Zwift - especially when some self-appointed chat-Police comes along and starts berating others for using the chat. Or worse, the inevitable political spam. Last one was Russia -v- Ukraine. We went faster to make our spammer have to ride faster when he got dropped. And closing 5 seconds on the "A" group isn't all that easy.
Are these people using voice to text for chatting, or typing on their phone while riding? Trying to get my head around what this even looks like.