g-boaf

War on bicycles

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 19, 2024 12:14 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... bef7ef0a23

SkyNews host frothing over bike lanes. :roll:

Mr Purple

Re: War on bicycles

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 20, 2024 10:17 am

On a similar front - the Daily Telegraph has got it particularly wrong in London by relying on Strava times for segments to show that cyclists are speeding.

https://road.cc/content/news/telegraph- ... mph-308431

The 0% 600m segment in question was allegedly held at 52mph (84km/hr). Presumably by a GP mismatch.

I feel I need to report this segment to the Courier Mail.

https://www.strava.com/segments/9835256?filter=overall
'
Those hoon cyclists doing 359.3km/hr on a bike lane in the Brisbane CBD!
Last edited by Mr Purple on Mon May 20, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:23 am

Wow...at that speed, my dyno hub would charge my mobile in 5 minutes then self destruct :lol: :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 20, 2024 3:55 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 12:14 pm
SkyNews host frothing ….
Situation normal, then.
Although I note the problem is not actually cyclists..
But, as ever, it’s not to serve current cyclists – it’s to force you out of your car through pure frustration so you have to use the bike lane.
Apparently it’s a conspiracy by those living in “leafy suburbs” to force those living in outer suburbs to not rat run (through suburbs they don’t go to) by turning car bays in cycle lanes. Or some such.

But then logic is not something we expect from Sky…
Last edited by Thoglette on Mon May 20, 2024 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 20, 2024 3:59 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 10:17 am
The 0% 600m segment in question was allegedly held at 52mph (84km/hr). Presumably by a GP mismatch.
Even our very fast Mr Stoker in my area couldn't manage that speed I think. :wink: It's good for the news outlets to stir up outrage among their conservative readers who wouldn't think of these things.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:02 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:55 pm
g-boaf wrote:
SkyNews host frothing ….
Situation normal, then.
✅️
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:38 am

g-boaf wrote:

Is it just me or does old mate presenter look like Bruce Lewdmann's brother?

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:53 pm

fat and old wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:38 am
g-boaf wrote:

Is it just me or does old mate presenter look like Bruce Lewdmann's brother?
Yeah… nah .. maybe !
Perhaps they both went to the same Institute of Media presentation

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:21 am

Oxford St bike lane construction is a human rights infringement:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/res ... 5jlt5.html

According to 6 residents.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:55 am

Michael Waterhouse, 80, who has some deafness and uses a hearing aid, is leading the complaint. The former banking executive and federal treasury adviser said his interest was triggered by a near-miss with a cyclist on a shared path while he was looking at his phone.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 am

am50em wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:55 am
Michael Waterhouse, 80, who has some deafness and uses a hearing aid, is leading the complaint. The former banking executive and federal treasury adviser said his interest was triggered by a near-miss with a cyclist on a shared path while he was looking at his phone.
When I was getting around with crutches, I had to be listening and watching for others carefully.

No mucking around with phones while outside because I had no hands free to do so. Unlike that 80 year old I was considerably less mobile and the implications of a pedestrian or someone else knocking me over were more severe.

People should put the phone away or stop off to the side if they want to use the phone.

Maybe I might get in touch with the human rights lot and add my little feedback to derail their efforts.

And in the comments there is always the "I'm a cyclist, but" type and this article is no exception.

As a pedestrian, I see the actions of some pedestrians and think that all pedestrians should have rego. :|

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:20 am

From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Lucky they don't live in Melbourne, or travel to George St in the city. Imagine their feelings on trams?!

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:22 pm

am50em wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:55 am
Where have I heard that before? Oh that's right poor old Jilly Gibson who was terrorised by cyclists buzzing her on one of the few shared bike paths in North Sydney which she was trying to get removed.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:56 am

ABC radio Sydney was discussing the Oxford St complaints this morning and invited callers to share their opinion. First caller was predictable - woman who said bikes should be registered and the taxes used to pay for cycling infrastructure that nobody else uses apart from cyclists

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:45 pm

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/today-re ... 29ef4e2f99

....today reporter Jack Hahn almost taken down by speeding cyclist....
...reporter standing with back to oncoming cyclist...cyclist slows to walking pace and has brakes covered whilst pulls around to pass...that would be my opinion...meanwhile try that in a vehicle lane

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:04 pm

antigee wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:45 pm

...reporter standing with back to oncoming cyclist...cyclist slows to walking pace and has brakes covered whilst pulls around to pass...that would be my opinion...meanwhile try that in a vehicle lane
Right wing channel 9, who would have thought…

I’m sure the supporters here will rush to defend channel 9 and admonish the rider for speeding so badly… :roll:

Whole thing probably a set up by nine.

As a rider though we have to be wary of strange people lurking near cycleways with cameras. Who knows what they might be doing, especially towards female riders and pedestrians…

If they can play games, we can do so too.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:14 pm

Where is Peter Costello when you need him...??
:lol:
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/SRAM Force eTAP
'18 GT Zaskar Carbon Comp 9r
2021 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:57 pm

antigee wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:45 pm

What an idiot. That cyclist handled that situation absolutely perfectly - slowed down, rode behind the pedestrian. Despite the pedestrian clearly being a deadset moron preoccupied with wandering blind across the crossing multiple times.

Reminds me of the rants in the Brisbane Rail Trail group about 'lycra clad hooligans' riding past pedstrians too quickly. When prompted to provide evidence of footage, or stories of anyone ever actually being hit by a 'lycra clad hooligan' you'll hear crickets. Simply because if you're riding a bike at speed on gravel you know full well the consequences of actually hitting someone and (mostly) have the skill and motivation to avoid it. The perceived threat is much greater than the actual threat.

Meanwhile the only negative issues I have riding the rail trail is groups of pedestrians who insist on walking 6-8 wide across what is effectively a full width gravel road, ignoring multiple calls and/or bell while you're riding at them from the front, and then act snarky when you ease by at about 2km/hr because 'you didn't give them enough room'. It's a two way street - as above, while cyclists having to give way to pedestrians, wandering repeatedly across a pedestrian crossing while doing a piece to camera with your back to the cyclist is giving literally nothing in return.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:27 am

tpcycle wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:22 pm
Where have I heard that before? Oh that's right poor old Jilly Gibson who was terrorised by cyclists buzzing her on one of the few shared bike paths in North Sydney which she was trying to get removed.
Poor old Jilly Gibson, she's retiring at this election & North Sydney Council are just so mean because they won't name a plaza in her honour - ironically the plaza is a shared path between 2 bike paths
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:27 am
tpcycle wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:22 pm
Poor old Jilly Gibson, she's retiring at this election & North Sydney Council are just so mean because they won't name a plaza in her honour - ironically the plaza is a shared path between 2 bike paths
https://www.smh.com.au/cbd/the-meanest- ... 5k5mx.html

Apparently she said:
“Sometimes I think local government is preschool for bullies who wind their way into federal government and state government,” Gibson said.
Nothing about her behaviour towards bicycle riders? :roll:

Maybe she needs to run in a different area, like Sydney and try to get rid of Clover Moore, then she can run with her dreams of destroying bike paths and infrastructure. :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:45 pm

karpedal

Postby karpedal » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:47 pm

Don't you just hate it when vehicles block bike lanes! Makes cycling so much more dangerous than it needs to be.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:25 am

Seems live Clover Moore won again in the elections in Sydney.

Good thing for bicycle infrastructure.

In my area, the local Liberal volunteer was trying to say how good they were for bicycle riders (because I had my bicycle with me, I voted on my way home from a ride yesterday). I had to laugh at him and tell him that the historical facts point to the almost total war against bicycles from his party. In any case he didn't seem particularly bright.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:53 pm

Meanwhile, in a triumph of SMIDSY( because I wasn’t looking) regret over sanity the WA Nationals are proposing mandatory hi viz for cyclists after one of their members nearly hit a ninja on an unlicensed motorcycle
I had [an experience] myself recently … when I was just about to turn onto the main road. Someone came past on an electric bike going at about 70 kilometres an hour and they were dressed in pure black."
Just like MHLs in the ‘80s, having put the policy forward they’ve admitted they have no clue:
Mr Rundle said his team was looking to ... he motion.

But are convinced it’ll get up in November at the state conference. More and some responses from random people on bicycles here Nationals WA considers compulsory high-vis vests for cyclists, scooter riders

I guess if making stuff up is good enough for the Federal branch…
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:07 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:53 pm
Meanwhile, in a triumph of SMIDSY( because I wasn’t looking) regret over sanity the WA Nationals are proposing mandatory hi viz for cyclists after one of their members nearly hit a ninja on an unlicensed motorcycle
Say what????

Nearly hits an unlicensed motorbike, then bicycle riders are to blame... No wonder the nationals are becoming more and more irrelevant.