I'm a champion bike mechanic...

blizzard

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby blizzard » Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:51 pm

Just serviced my DT 240 EXP using Slickoleum instead of DT Swiss grease in the hope it would quieten the ratchet more. Appears to work fine but definitely not quieter. See how it goes long term, in terms of wear etc. (not overly concerned if it does wear i have a spare freehub and ratchet set from the recall when the hub was first released waiting to be installed).

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:38 am

Following my successful ST-6700 shifter repair, the next patient was my Sram Rival brakes. The goal was to extract the push rods in the levers to give them a clean and grease. The only problem was the push rod in the left lever wasn't returning so I couldn't actually pull it out. Spent many hours trying to push it out from behind via the hose attachment port without much luck until it finally budged. Still not 100% sure what was stopping it coming out, but the spring was corroded so I think it just refused to let go.

Next job is to clean and grease the brake caliper pistons then bleed the system and get this bad boy on the road.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:57 pm

Pedals have felt a bit loose the last couple of rides and I remember thinking a couple of times 'I should tighten them'.

Right cleat jumped out of the pedal while accelerating at the beginning of today's 74km ride and it's hard to tell just how worn it was before I skidded along the road with it for a little bit, but it's certainly very worn now!

Lesson learned. Loose pedal, check cleat. Also log mileage on cleats on Strava like every other consumable on the bike.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:43 pm

Serviced the SR Suntour coil fork on my Cargo bike (basically take everything apart, degrease, regrease and replace the stanchion seals). Really quite straightforward, and for once took about the time I thought it would.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:46 pm

Upgraded my aethos from 105 di2 shifters and brakes to dura-ace shifters and brakes. Had to do the bar tape twice. Just the wheels to come. Then I have to decide if I want to wire the shifters so I can remove the shifter batteries

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:46 pm
Upgraded my aethos from 105 di2 shifters and brakes to dura-ace shifters and brakes. Had to do the bar tape twice. Just the wheels to come. Then I have to decide if I want to wire the shifters so I can remove the shifter batteries
Any reason for the upgrade or just because? I would probably leave it wireless on the Aethos for aesthetic reasons.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:53 pm

jasonc wrote:

Snazzy.
DuraAce wireless has been spoken of as the equal to SRAM's RED. I would be interested in feedback about comparative performance of both that riders have had. Me, if confronted by a choice of bike with SRAM RED or DuraAce, I would leap for DuraAce. I am not exactly turned on by the drab look of SRAM's RED gruppo compared to the holographic finish of the FORCE.

I have seen the DuraAce transmission on a few higher end MERIDA roadies in Melbourne shops.

Anxiety about wireless shifters is overcooked I think. Mark your calendar for replacement after two years, at the start or end of Daylight Savings, or some other notable event. I carry a spare battery pair in my seat pack. There will be prior warning up front on the computer.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP
2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:35 pm

blizzard wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:42 pm
jasonc wrote:
Any reason for the upgrade or just because? I would probably leave it wireless on the Aethos for aesthetic reasons.
I wanted the hidden buttons. Looking at the weight saving between 105, ultegra and dura-ace. I thought why not! Bike bug had 10% off so I did it. So far from stock aethos comp with 105 di2 it now has:
- a lighter stem (shorter)
- carbon bars (narrower)
- ultegra crank
Before it left the shop it got a 155 power saddle
This weekend I've replaced:
- dura-ace cranks and levers
First time using the shimano app to connect the shifters and derailleurs. Worked well
- ultegra cassette
On order is a set of wheels

Now I have more stuff to sell
I like the idea of a single battery to maintain. There are enough batteries on my bike

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:13 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:35 pm
I like the idea of a single battery to maintain. There are enough batteries on my bike
On 105 Di2 I find it a pretty painless process, especially considering my crankset power meter has a battery that lasts as least as long as the Di2. Once the notification comes up on my Garmin, next time I'm home I just sit a powerbank in the bottle cage with a cable coming out for the Di2 battery and the power meter battery. Only have to do it once a month at most. Can't get much easier than that!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:46 am

jasonc wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:35 pm
blizzard wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:42 pm
jasonc wrote:
I wanted the hidden buttons. Looking at the weight saving between 105, ultegra and dura-ace. I thought why not! Bike bug had 10% off so I did it. So far from stock aethos comp with 105 di2 it now has:
- a lighter stem (shorter)
- carbon bars (narrower)
- ultegra crank
Before it left the shop it got a 155 power saddle
This weekend I've replaced:
- dura-ace cranks and levers
First time using the shimano app to connect the shifters and derailleurs. Worked well
- ultegra cassette
On order is a set of wheels
What's your bike weight down to Jason?

I was vaguely looking at that model - 7.5kg with the hefty DT Swisse R470 wheelset (1780g). You could replace the wheelset with a Farsports or Light Bicycle for not a huge amount and get it under 7kg. Carbon bars and a lighter saddle and it's below the UCI limit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:06 am

I'm not weighing it till the wheels arrive. Technically I already have the wheels as they are on my tarmac. They are farsports feder dt240s 28mm wide, 35mm deep. I've ordered exactly the same. The new ones will go on my tarmac as it will get used more.
Bottle cages are from aliexpress and weigh 13g each

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:05 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:06 am
I'm not weighing it till the wheels arrive. Technically I already have the wheels as they are on my tarmac. They are farsports feder dt240s 28mm wide, 35mm deep. I've ordered exactly the same. The new ones will go on my tarmac as it will get used more.
Bottle cages are from aliexpress and weigh 13g each
Pretty much the same set I'd go with - make sure you use the Hambini code, they still worked when I last bought a set.

Instant 500g weight saving there!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:08 pm

Hambini code?
The wheels are already ordered

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:30 pm

I laced a wheel yesterday. Only put two spoke in wrong and had to take the nipple off. I watched the park tool wheel build while I did it. I also marked the rim with tape where a couple of spoke either side of the valve hole went.

Much better than the last efforts requiring several attempts to get it right.

I'll leave the true champion mechnic comments until completing truing. Its a bit wobbly so far but was getting late last night.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:08 pm
Hambini code?
The wheels are already ordered
Too late! 20% off.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:40 pm

Mr Purple wrote: