Re: Current weather obs

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:30 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:17 am
g-boaf wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:12 am
Now the topic is going to get a bit spicy. :twisted:

Pass the popcorn... :P
If you wish to explore the depths of stupid denialism here you go.
https://www.patrol4x4.com/threads/clima ... 3/#replies
Murdoch media and fossil fuel industry informed.
Utter stupidity. :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:57 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:46 pm
My mates and I were training in -c temps plenty of times with -6c in Ipswich and dropping to -9 at Peak crossing. My fingers were still burning 12hrs later and I had my moto gloves on. :shock:

Foo
I’ve definitely encountered below zero in Ipswich as well.. the Garmin stayed at 0.0c for quite a while, likely due to it not reading below zero.

It was the coldest one for me this morning, for this year. My neck warmer stayed up over my face for the majority of the ride. The Garmin read consistent with Bom’s ‘apparent’ temp going past tge airport. 3.5c apparent and 7.2c standard temp.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:30 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

I can go to the locale pub and hear all the same things. Or one of my old group rides which I don't do any more. I'm there for riding a bike, not for all of that garbage. When it started I'd just pick up the pace and ride away. :roll: I have zero patience for that stuff.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:30 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Yes indeed. I gleefully and confidently ignore anything and everything from the Murdoch stable.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:31 pm

I can go to the locale pub and hear all the same things. Or one of my old group rides which I don't do any more. I'm there for riding a bike, not for all of that garbage. When it started I'd just pick up the pace and ride away. :roll: I have zero patience for that stuff.
Nice! :lol: :mrgreen:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:26 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:40 pm

Yes indeed. I gleefully and confidently ignore anything and everything from the Murdoch stable.
A good way to avoid frustration :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:08 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
My mates and I were training in -c temps plenty of times with -6c in Ipswich and dropping to -9 at Peak crossing. My fingers were still burning 12hrs later and I had my moto gloves on. :shock:

Foo
Worst I've ever seen was -3c on the start line of the BVRT E2E last year; it hit zero at about 50km in.

Hard when it's for a race, because you know you're going to overheat at some stage so can't overdress too much.

Cold again this morning, compounded by the fact I couldn't do a Cootha Back because of RD issues. Ended up doing a fast uni loop as a way of keeping warm - 307W average along almost the entire Bicentennial. A few commuters got a free lift into work. First time this year I've had the sleeve and long fingered gloves out.

News paper down the front works a treat and you can pull it out and scrunch it up into your back pocket. :idea: :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:03 pm

vbplease wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:57 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
I’ve definitely encountered below zero in Ipswich as well.. the Garmin stayed at 0.0c for quite a while, likely due to it not reading below zero.

It was the coldest one for me this morning, for this year. My neck warmer stayed up over my face for the majority of the ride. The Garmin read consistent with Bom’s ‘apparent’ temp going past tge airport. 3.5c apparent and 7.2c standard temp.

It lets you know that you're alive. :lol: When I was racing at the elite level I'd go out with my mates at 5am but I'm not there now and 45yrs older, so I don't have to put up with it anymore. :mrgreen: Even when I do regain fitness for the Masters, I can assure you I won't be out in minus temps. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:08 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:59 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:08 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Worst I've ever seen was -3c on the start line of the BVRT E2E last year; it hit zero at about 50km in.

Hard when it's for a race, because you know you're going to overheat at some stage so can't overdress too much.

Cold again this morning, compounded by the fact I couldn't do a Cootha Back because of RD issues. Ended up doing a fast uni loop as a way of keeping warm - 307W average along almost the entire Bicentennial. A few commuters got a free lift into work. First time this year I've had the sleeve and long fingered gloves out.

News paper down the front works a treat and you can pull it out and scrunch it up into your back pocket. :idea: :mrgreen:

Foo
That’s a good old trick for the big climbs and descents where you typically get very warm going uphill at high power and low speeds then the descents at 70km/h+ for 15km or so get absolutely freezing.

The worst I’ve encountered was snow. I was already drenched badly, dressed with multiple winter layers and still freezing cold until I got back down into the valley. In a decent group that was going pretty quickly as well so it at least made the remaining 25km go faster.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:34 am

Well, I just installed a big rainwater tank so everyone in Perth can now expect cloudless blue skies, warm weather and excellent cycling conditions until winter is over…

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:26 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:34 am
Well, I just installed a big rainwater tank so everyone in Perth can now expect cloudless blue skies, warm weather and excellent cycling conditions until winter is over…
:o :lol:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:57 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Foo

Dunno about newsprint. I use a cut-in-half tennis ball slipped down and over and it works a treat. I don't know why people are stare.
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:12 pm

I’ve also seen foil blanket material used to keep warm as well (on a very cold descent from top of Col D’Izoard ).

It was warm down in Saint Chaffrey (and Briançon) but cold at the top (2360m).

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:36 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:34 am
Haha, we have a couple of tanks, total of 6,600 litres. Back when we had a drought we did run out of water in the tanks - in our case they are used for the garden. Melbourne can have long periods without rain too, but nothing like what Perth has had recently - do you even do winter any more?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:50 pm

Shortest day of the year tomorrow, the Winter solstice. Going to stay cold for a few months yet but at least the days start getting longer :)

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:47 pm

Brrr. On my way home to G-Town under dull grey skies and chill; all rugged up in a toasty eiderdown jacket, gloves and beanie!
I doubt very much this is cycling weather; haven't seen any roadies all week, save for the lunatic commuters/larks in Melbourne and 'burbs on bikes and eeeeeek-scooters!! :lol:

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:50 pm
Shortest day of the year tomorrow, the Winter solstice. Going to stay cold for a few months yet but at least the days start getting longer :)
I’m trying really, really hard to take some comfort from this fact but I just can’t…. I just know that between me and a beautiful warm dawn ride later in the year are some brutally cold 2C Perth winter morning rides… I’m just not made for winter :(

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:35 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:47 pm
Brrr. On my way home to G-Town under dull grey skies and chill; all rugged up in a toasty eiderdown jacket, gloves and beanie!
I doubt very much this is cycling weather; haven't seen any roadies all week, save for the lunatic commuters/larks in Melbourne and 'burbs on bikes and eeeeeek-scooters!! :lol:
I try and ride on Monday and Thursday (also ride to voluntary work on Tuesday but that is shorter). I did manage to get out on Monday, but wimped out today.

This cold weather certainly is challenging, most of my cycling has been commuting, but no longer working means I really have to discipline myself to get out and ride.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)