The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mububban

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mububban » Tue May 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:23 pm
Dog walkers and joggers in black active wear, and/or a black puffer jacket, are similarly invisible at dusk or later. Often I see the dog's collar reflect before I see the person on the other end of the lead.

On a night ride with my kids around the local park walking/riding track, I was very grateful that one owner who had his dogs off leash had attached flashing white LED lights on their collars, which enabled us to see them a long way off and ride accordingly. Some of the local walkers also wear those LED headlight headbands which definitely helps see them. We all have lights on our bikes, but *everyone* being visible is a definite safety improvement.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Mububban wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:00 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:23 pm
Dog walkers and joggers in black active wear, and/or a black puffer jacket, are similarly invisible at dusk or later. Often I see the dog's collar reflect before I see the person on the other end of the lead.

On a night ride with my kids around the local park walking/riding track, I was very grateful that one owner who had his dogs off leash had attached flashing white LED lights on their collars, which enabled us to see them a long way off and ride accordingly. Some of the local walkers also wear those LED headlight headbands which definitely helps see them. We all have lights on our bikes, but *everyone* being visible is a definite safety improvement.
Great idea for dogs.

But for pedestrians... I agree it helps with visibility, but I don't think it should be expected for people to put lights on before they go out for a walk.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2024 12:50 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:39 pm
I don't think it should be expected for people to put lights on before they go out for a walk.
yesterday morning was foggy in Brisbane. Just after I left home about 5:50am (sunrise is after 6:25am at the moment). woman walking down the middle of the street I live on, in black clothing. I only saw her because I saw something move. There's a suitable footpath

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 28, 2024 1:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:50 pm
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:39 pm
I don't think it should be expected for people to put lights on before they go out for a walk.
yesterday morning was foggy in Brisbane. Just after I left home about 5:50am (sunrise is after 6:25am at the moment). woman walking down the middle of the street I live on, in black clothing. I only saw her because I saw something move. There's a suitable footpath
Oh sure, you need to be visible on a road. I should have said "on a path".

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue May 28, 2024 1:09 pm

I've noticed a trend towards pedestrians walking 2-3 wide across our street when there's an entirely reasonable footpath down one side.

I mean, as a cyclist I support your move towards reclaiming the road from cars, but it does seem a little silly to walk at night down the middle of the road with your back to the traffic. Especially after what I've seen of the drivers in my area.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed May 29, 2024 5:41 pm

Today's commute home seemed to feature pedestrians who liked to claim the entire path ....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 29, 2024 6:15 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:41 pm
Today's commute home seemed to feature pedestrians who liked to claim the entire path ....

I like the tone of that bell. :) What is it?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed May 29, 2024 8:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 6:15 pm
Retrobyte wrote:

I like the tone of that bell. :) What is it?
Trigger bell

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:11 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:07 pm

Trigger bell
Haven't seen/heard them before. Thanks.

https://www.triggerbell.com/

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu May 30, 2024 8:25 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:11 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:07 pm

Trigger bell
Haven't seen/heard them before. Thanks.

https://www.triggerbell.com/
I've got one on my commuter and another on my roadie - I like them because I can use the bell when I'm on the hoods without taking my hand off the bars, even while braking. The bell tone is louder depending on how hard you flick the lever with your thumb. Can highly recommend.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 30, 2024 9:23 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Normal for that path. Thankfully I never have to ride that way.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:41 pm

Pulled up beside an e bike and asked the rider, a female, if it was modified (there was a hill coming up, wanted to know if i bother overtaking). No response. Traffic lights a few kms later here she pulls up next to me telling me I'm intimidating. Right. I asked a question. I apologised because who knows and rode offwhen the light went green

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:26 pm

I think that probably suggests it was illegal. I avoid any interactions with any e-device riders if possible, I haven't found many to have any rational responses to even a cheery 'hello'.

I've very rarely had any negative interactions with other cyclists. There was once when two fast looking ladies took exception to me having a side by side chat with another rider at the bottom of Cootha - he'd followed me for directions and just done his first lap.

They came up behind fast, abused us for riding too slowly and then immediately slowed down so we had to pass them again. Bizarre stuff, I can only assume they were gassed and a bit hypoglycaemic from a big ride and completely forgot about the draft effect.

It's always funny to watch someone cruise past and then immediately explode once they realise you were shielding them from the headwind.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:38 pm

I don't think it was modified. I just don't think she understood the question and thought I was offending her in some manner. How dare I

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:38 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:26 pm
It's always funny to watch someone cruise past and then immediately explode once they realise you were shielding them from the headwind.
Rather than getting into all that I usually just slow right down or stop for a minute or two, especially when it's someone I don't know.

I rarely talk to anyone else when I'm riding these days - unless maybe I see someone putting in a massive effort I'll give them a simple "nice going, well done".

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:38 am

I'll often have a chat with someone if we're doing around the same speed over the top of Cootha and they seem friendly.

I have tried to make small talk in event pelotons and found this doesn't go so well. Not sure if people are just less friendly there, it might be because they don't have enough air to talk!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:41 pm
(there was a hill coming up, wanted to know if i bother overtaking).
But she didn't know that. I think she thought either (a) you were "hitting on" her or (b) you were about to do some unsolicited mansplaining about e-bikes (which would have been a form of (a) anyway).

Women put up with a lot of comments from male strangers, so I find it's best to err on the side of silence.

About the only time I will initiate a conversation with a female cyclist (or most male cyclists for that matter) is when I see a rear light not working or obscured; because I think they'd want to know.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:42 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am
About the only time I will initiate a conversation with a female cyclist (or most male cyclists for that matter) is when I see a rear light not working or obscured; because I think they'd want to know.
Yeah, good point. I definitely wouldn't say much more than 'hello' to most cyclists, especially women for that reason.

What with the wind and speed differentials they probably wouldn't hear very much anyway and would probably assume the worst.

Mind you I've seen some articles posted lately suggesting female cyclists find male cyclists intimidatory, unwelcoming and unfriendly so it's a bit of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. I can see why they would feel that way.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:42 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:42 am

…..
Mind you I've seen some articles posted lately suggesting female cyclists find male cyclists intimidatory, unwelcoming and unfriendly so it's a bit of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. I can see why they would feel that way.

Like all of us, female cyclists probably feel more at ease when they are riding with friends.

On the Railtrail you get all sorts of polite requests for assistance- from men and women.

The obvious one is the occasional flat tyre saga - usually cannot get the tyre on or off of the pump or the canister is a dud.
But I’ve had all sorts of other requests for assistance, such as adjusting seat height, or “please watch my bike while I go to toilet” or “what Coffee shop would you recommend further on”
It’s usually fine to be friendly and a pleasure to be helpful, but occasional you just want to be left to your own devices.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:46 am

I will always ask if a stopped cyclist is ok. Especially if it's remote. I figure that's one of the unspoken rules of cycling.

Also my tendency to say 'hello' increases on how ridiculous the situation is for cycling. Don't generally do it on a sunny day on the river loop, but if it's freezing, pouring with rain and they're halfway up Cootha then they deserve all the encouragement they can get!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:59 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am
jasonc wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:41 pm
(there was a hill coming up, wanted to know if i bother overtaking).
But she didn't know that. I think she thought either (a) you were "hitting on" her or (b) you were about to do some unsolicited mansplaining about e-bikes (which would have been a form of (a) anyway).

Women put up with a lot of comments from male strangers, so I find it's best to err on the side of silence.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. Big smile, 'hello" and nothing else. Maybe a head nod as I pass. Women are often hyper-aware of any male because, well, they have to be. We men often don't spare a single thought to our personal safety, even skinny twigs like myself. We just believe, rightly or wrongly, that if something came up, we'd be able to defend ourselves. But seeing the world through the eyes of my tiny skinny pretty teenage daughter, who knows she wouldn't be able to defend herself against her 13 year old brother, does give me regular reminders on the constant worry, fear and dread many women feel all day, every day, whenever they step out of their own home.

And sadly, all too often, within their own home too :cry:

What's that saying? "Men are afraid women will laugh at them. Women are afraid men will kill them."
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:06 pm

^^ True. :(
Good post.
My partner has had an abusive previous partner as have 2 of my sisters. :x
Safer for women to be in a same sex relationship on the balance of probability it seems to me.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:00 pm

This all reminds me of https://medium.com/@pqhaattte/how-being ... bbeeeac118

And I realized that riding a bicycle on a car-heavy road is very similar to living as a woman.

• They are normal, you are the aberration.
  • You have to be exemplary.
  • You can’t expect them to know the rules, but you can certainly expect them to be upset when you point out what the rules are.
  • The impetus is on you to make sure you’re safe
  • There’s a pretty good chance no one will be prosecuted if something bad happens to you.
  • You take your life into your hands just by existing among them.
  • Some of them will hate you for no reason, and you’ve got to assume any of them could be the one that hates you.
  • You can’t trust that the rest of your ilk will stand up for you or have your back.
  • Things are better if you’re in Europe, especially Scandinavia
  • You’re healthier and you live longer (as long as you’re not murdered by one of them)

These are the para headings, read the page for the explanations. At least before you get annoyed!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:51 am

zebee wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:00 pm
This all reminds me of https://medium.com/@pqhaattte/how-being ... bbeeeac118

And I realized that riding a bicycle on a car-heavy road is very similar to living as a woman.

• They are normal, you are the aberration.
  • You have to be exemplary.
  • You can’t expect them to know the rules, but you can certainly expect them to be upset when you point out what the rules are.
  • The impetus is on you to make sure you’re safe
  • There’s a pretty good chance no one will be prosecuted if something bad happens to you.
  • You take your life into your hands just by existing among them.
  • Some of them will hate you for no reason, and you’ve got to assume any of them could be the one that hates you.
  • You can’t trust that the rest of your ilk will stand up for you or have your back.
  • Things are better if you’re in Europe, especially Scandinavia
  • You’re healthier and you live longer (as long as you’re not murdered by one of them)

These are the para headings, read the page for the explanations. At least before you get annoyed!

That's....actually pretty well said. Might save that one.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:04 pm

I agree.

It's actually given me some insight into how women feel in many situations.

The worst part I think is that feeling that you have to do everything absolutely perfectly or face what amounts to a death penalty.