the Crazy eDevice rider thread

g-boaf

Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 26, 2024 12:52 pm

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 26, 2024 3:56 pm

I haven't commuted to work for a couple of months as I've been doing my HIIT sessions on Zwift in prep for the Convict 100. I resumed this week.

In the evening I've noticed a new low in dysfunctional delivery e-bike rider behaviour.

Every time there's a herd of delivery e-bike riders, heads completely inserted into their phone screens, doing slow circuits of the final 50 metres of the Sydney Harbour Bridge cycleway before the stairs at the northern end. Historically I've come in there quite fast, hugging the wall, but that's just unsafe to do now, as these guys just don't look when commencing their u-turns across your path right in front of you.

When I asked one what they were doing, he said "Oh this is how we get the good orders" - I assume it's some quirk of their GPS apps they've discovered and are gaming.

Turning to the security guy who usually parks himself there, he returned my questioning look with a glum expression: "All the riders are complaining. Nothing we can do." Mentioned to one of my Saturday club ride buddies I was back to commuting and the first thing he blurted out was a vent about these toolbags without my saying anything else. He's usually pretty chilled out. Not this time.

Anyone else encountered this?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 26, 2024 6:27 pm

They don't ride out my way, or at least not many of them and not at the times when I do ride.

I have had one sail through a red light as I was starting to accelerate. I had the green to go and this idiot just goes zooming straight across the front of me from right to left. His traffic light was red. No care given. I felt like turning and giving chase to tell him off, but what good is it?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 26, 2024 6:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:27 pm
I felt like turning and giving chase to tell him off, but what good is it?
Don't argue with stupid. They take your down to their level and beat you with experience

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri May 31, 2024 10:17 am

Leniency is over’: Hundreds fined in e-scooter crackdown
In Melbourne, police almost issued 300 infringements in e-scooter crackdown over 2 days.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... jhx6.htmll
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Fri May 31, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 31, 2024 10:26 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:17 am
In Melbourne, police almost issued 300 infringements in e-scooter crackdown over 2 days.
Leniency is over’: Hundreds fined in e-scooter crackdown

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... jhx6.htmll
can you pls post the text of the article

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri May 31, 2024 10:57 am

They really only found 5 e-scooters/e-bikes that were effectively motorbikes?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 31, 2024 11:10 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:57 am
5? did they perform the enforcement with their eyes closed?

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 31, 2024 12:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:10 am
Cyclophiliac wrote:
They probably did not have the time or resources to establish if the power output and cutoff was legal.
Except perhaps in the most blatantly obvious cases.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 31, 2024 12:23 pm

elantra wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:11 pm
jasonc wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:10 am
Cyclophiliac wrote:
They probably did not have the time or resources to establish if the power output and cutoff was legal.
Except perhaps in the most blatantly obvious cases.
In brisbane it would be easy. ride it up the closest hill. does it do more than 25? yes. fines galore

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:40 pm

Police officer setting up under the go between bridge on the bicentennial bike way (Brisbane) this afternoon

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:23 pm
In brisbane it would be easy. ride it up the closest hill. does it do more than 25? yes. fines galore
Well, no. That's the problem with our laws.

They can basically ride anything they like within the PMD definition (some limits on length and weight) and if they exceed 25km/hr are merely fined for breaking the speed limit.

Even devices capable of 110km/hr+ aren't technically illegal unless being used illegally. Which they all are, but we still tiptoe around that universal truth apparently.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:36 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:42 pm
jasonc wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:23 pm
Well, no. That's the problem with our laws.

They can basically ride anything they like within the PMD definition (some limits on length and weight) and if they exceed 25km/hr are merely fined for breaking the speed limit.

Even devices capable of 110km/hr+ aren't technically illegal unless being used illegally. Which they all are, but we still tiptoe around that universal truth apparently.
the amount of fines would depend on the results of the attitude test

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:51 am

Riding home on the footpath yesterday, a couple of young teenaged boys 2-up on an e-scooter raced past me, and one of them emitted a high pitched scream as he went past. As annoying and stupid as that was, I was at least glad they didn't try to shove me off my bike or anything else like that - thank heavens for small mercies eh? :roll: Because even 2-up, there was no way I'd catch them at the speed they were going
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:08 am

Must be a teenage boy on escooter thing.

I had one coming straight at me, fully on the wrong side (my side) of the road, turned facing behind him talking to his mate. I yelled out and as he swerved past me he also screamed like a little girl - no idea what's up with that :roll:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:56 am

Another one on the bicentennial day - illegal e-scooter.

I was doing 37km/hr and he passed me like I was standing still. I had a little word to that guy...

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:59 am

So far on about a third of my trips on the cycleway there's been a rental scooter left diagonally across the lane in places that don't make sense to voluntarily dismount. (Hobart's cycleway goes out around the riverbank so there's zero commercial infrastructure, and it's never near a branching pedestrian path that I see it.)
I don't suppose anyone here knows what the payment model is for Beam/Neuron? The only thing that makes sense to me is if the battery runs dry or the rider runs out of credit.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:04 am

Anrai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:59 am
I don't suppose anyone here knows what the payment model is for Beam/Neuron? The only thing that makes sense to me is if the battery runs dry or the rider runs out of credit.
You can buy a pass that covers a specific period of days, but I think even with that there is a daily time limit. Last time I was in Adelaide I bought a weekly pass, and that came with a 90 minute limit per day. I don't know what happens at the end of that 90 minutes though?

Otherwise it's just a flat rate for every minute.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:29 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:56 am
Another one on the bicentennial day - illegal e-scooter.

I was doing 37km/hr and he passed me like I was standing still. I had a little word to that guy...
followed one in this morning doing the same speed. rode from western fwy bikeway onto the foot path (speed limit for PMDs is 12), onto sylvan rd, left into land st (speed limit is 60, so PMDs are to use the footpath and do 12). reminded him of the rule when stopped at patrick lane. there was no care. as he then rode onto the shared path at ~37km/h, and onto bicentennial bikeway

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:49 am

I've seen my first purple rental e-scooter here in Perth that has an incorporated seat, and I thought I'd read somewhere hat you had to be standing, not sitting? Could be wrong though.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

piledhigher2

Postby piledhigher2 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:28 pm

I was close shaved by an e-scooter today.

On a travelator inside a shopping centre.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:40 pm

piledhigher2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:28 pm
I was close shaved by an e-scooter today.

On a travelator inside a shopping centre.
ok. that's a new one. i would approach centre security

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:03 pm

Mububban wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:49 am
I've seen my first purple rental e-scooter here in Perth that has an incorporated seat, and I thought I'd read somewhere hat you had to be standing, not sitting? Could be wrong though.

Seats are uncommon fitments to hire e-scooters, but very common for private devices. As retailers will state, the seat must be designed for that particular e-scooter (by the manufacturer), not an aftermarket. Beneath the top plate are the controllers, battery, wiring etc that need to be traced before removing, drilling or fitting anything to the top plate.

Lots of e-scooters around Singapore (which requires all of them to be registered with identification plates) where I have been attending a work / roadmap conference these last two weeks; they are most definitely not permitted to be ridden on the road network — only marked cycling paths. Woe betide you if you are nabbed riding on a footpath over there: SD$2,000 or jail time applies, no ifs and no buts. I like the way they do things there (other than the weather... :lol: ).
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:12 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:03 pm

……..
Lots of e-scooters around Singapore (which requires all of them to be registered with identification plates) where I have been attending a work / roadmap conference these last two weeks; they are most definitely not permitted to be ridden on the road network — only marked cycling paths. Woe betide you if you are nabbed riding on a footpath over there: SD$2,000 or jail time applies, no ifs and no buts. I like the way they do things there (other than the weather... :lol: ).
I’m not sure how “connected” is the cycling path infrastructure in Singapore…..

but in Queensland the official position of the Transport and Main Roads department is that e-scooters and e-bikes must be allowed to use the footpaths because “footpaths are a vital connection between sections of dedicated bike infrastructure”…
with a “12 km/hr speed limit on footpaths to recognise the importance of riding slowly and safely around pedestrians”

Yeah they’re dreamin…
In what parallel universe do they think that users can be relied upon to invariably and drastically reduce speed every time that they move from road or cycle path onto footpath ?

There has been a heightened road police presence in NSW this weekend (long weekend)
Didn’t seem to coincide with improved adherence to road rules for motorists and e-users though.

One of the more sterling efforts was a child on an illegal (not speed limited) e-bike.
Exceeding whatever speed limit applies on both the road and footpath.
No helmet either but at the speed he was doing it wouldn’t be terribly effective

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:05 pm

Anrai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:59 am
So far on about a third of my trips on the cycleway there's been a rental scooter left diagonally across the lane [..]
Another three rides, another rental scooter across the cycleway, like clockwork.
This one made a little more sense as it was at an exit to a pedestrian path, but it was also almost completely perpendicular across the inbound lane. I expect I'll see more of these as the local bus network continues to crumble.