A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Season 10

ldrcycles

A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Season 10

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:57 pm

After an absolute flop of a year in 2023, it's time for another crack!

Number one priority as far as cycling goes is the Warwick-Brisbane record. It's been an albatross on my back for 6 years now and it has to go. The current record is 6hr16m33s for the 164km, with the form I had last March I was confident in taking at least half an hour off that, but then bad weather postponed the attempt and I got covid for the first time on that very weekend :evil:

Once that's done, the next target is the 236km Kingaroy-Brisbane. I've had a crack at this one back in November 2020, but had to pull the pin with cramping after about 90km in very cold conditions.

The form test will be the Toogoolawah 25 Mile TT on March 10. The Toogoolawah Wheelers club has been basically defunct for a couple of years now, but I really like the course so I just keep doing it myself. A club meeting to either get some new people to revive it, or wind things up, is on the cards in the near future.

2024 started with an easy 37km around Kin Kin, and luckily the weather played nicely for me.

Yesterday and today were just the usual 18km to the top of the Kin Kin range and back, I'm conscious of building things up gradually and not getting overenthusiastic.

We all know this series is no longer just about cycling though, so on to the farmwork!

November 22 to October 23 was one of the worst droughts ever recorded here, but it broke in the last few weeks of December and now there's mud to deal with. I didn't have a ripper for the tractor to direct the water from our driveway culvert, so I had a think, cut down a tree (no matter what the problem the answer almost always involves cutting down a tree) and strapped a log onto the slasher.

It didn't do a good job, but it was ever so slightly better than nothing, and it did prove a huge success in that I finally found my missing snigging chain! That meant I could finally deal with a dead tree covered in lantana next to the driveway, and that job turned out just dandy.

Onwards and upwards!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Imwit

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Season 10

Postby Imwit » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:23 pm

Hope you find plenty to write about this year. Look forward to reading it

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:48 pm

Sunday is the one day I can squeeze in longer rides (without waking at midnight), but in the spirit of gradually getting back into shape I was only aiming for about 70k. The first 30km went well but after that my back started tightening up and I had to stop about every 10km to stretch it out. I still managed to hold onto a pair of riders at 37kmh after they passed me on the old Bruce Highway. The ride as a whole was a good example of where things are at, not super strong, but careful and prepared.

Monday sees me at the sawmill at 7am, too early to fit a ride in beforehand, so it may as well be my rest day. Tuesday was just the 20k top of the range and back, with some excitement injected thanks to a well timed quarry truck appearance. Having chased him down the range (those things can be surprisingly nimble when they're empty!) I held on at 60-65 for a decent while given how unfit I am.

This morning it was off to Boreen Point for 30k, and the temperature was just mild enough to make the sky high humidity reasonable. I was particularly happy to get a photo that did the view justice.

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:42 pm

Nice!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 pm

My day job of repairing robots has been absolutely flat chat, hence the lack of posts here. Between work, weather, family issues, and my recalcitrant body there's been a distinct lack of miles on the bike, but I've still got my eyes on the prize.

Youngling number 2 has now started school, and while he has some issues as expected (bit of a highly strung sort) he's doing very well.

I finished building the fence around Mrs LDR's cabin to stop the cows eating her flower garden

And I bribed the kids with chocolate milk to get them to help paint it :lol:

A couple of weeks ago I had a day trip to Brisbane with Winnie, stopping at the Wild Horse Mountain lookout at sunset on the way back

The object of said day trip being to pick up a 2014 Fuji Roubaix, my first road bike with SRAM.

I can see why people wouldn't like the SRAM shifters, but I'm happy with them, and the bike as a whole. It's a very different feel to the Fondriest, where that is very relaxed and loose the Fuji (like my Kuota Kebel) feels sort of uptight, it doesn't like to be thrown around. Once my legs have some semblance of fitness back I'll get a better idea of pace, but it does feel a little faster than the Fondriest.

Number one priority this month is working on Peanut the tiny house. I started on it in August 2022 and the floor and framework was mostly done by mid September. "I'll have it ready for sale by Christmas", I said, and didn't.

Christmas came and went, so I moved the shell from my parents place to my driveway so I could have a crack at it with any spare few minutes I got. That has worked, albeit slowly given the million other demands on my time (not least completely rebuilding my parents crumbling ~70 year old verandah). As work progressed it became clear I had stuffed up the design, the roof height in the loft is way too low for any adult. For small children though, it's just grand, and I've got a couple of those, and an empty block I need family accommodation on...

So we're now keeping Peanut for putting up at Builyan, and I've set the absolute last, final, unbreakable deadline of this Easter. It sure as heck won't be easy, but I've got to get it done and out of the way to get other jobs happening (such as building a new bike shed to replace the one the Boxing Day storm took).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm

I'm back at last! I'm happy to report the big gap has been due to extreme workload and foul weather, rather than illness or injury. There were only three dry days in March, and they were March the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd :shock: It was only last week that things finally started to dry out, and now the switch for cold has been thrown :roll: .

All that rain has meant very little cycling, but I haven't had any trouble keeping on top of the grass at home thanks to my first ever ride on mower :mrgreen:

Purchased on St Patrick's Day, so christened Deeredre :lol:

There's also been opportunities to experiment with photography.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 21, 2024 4:23 pm

Remember how I said Easter was the absolute, rock-solid, unbreakable deadline for completion of the tiny house?

Well thanks to that wet stuff, no. Just for one example, there was a delay of more than a week in sourcing plywood interior lining when the local (but not small) business I had ordered it from informed me that their delivery truck had neither roof nor tarps, so they couldn't get anything up from Brisbane while it was raining. It beggars belief that a business operating in South-East Queensland would have no contingency in place for f#&% rain! So I had to cancel that order, and the money went to the big green shed instead.

With all the time lost to wet weather in March and early April, even a flat out effort at the end of the month wasn't enough to get it finished in time for my next trip to Builyan, but it's mighty close now and looking pretty as a picture.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 22, 2024 1:32 pm

I hadn't been up to Builyan since before Christmas, so when the rail trail group needed volunteers for a Bicycle Queensland event, I jumped at the opportunity. Not least because it happened to start on my birthday.

My increasingly archaic but trusty 26" hardtail Jamis was the pick, simply because of the 5 mountain bikes I own, it needed the least maintenance work to get it in good shape.

After basically two months of non stop rain at home I was deliriously happy to be going to the Boyne Valley, where it never rains....

Even on top of the mountains it was barely more than mist though, and down in the valley the mild temperature was quite pleasant. I stopped in at the Trottage first to unload some gear

Then back up the valley to the camp at Golembil Siding.

There were a few different options for groups of riders on the weekend, one of which was to go out to the copper smelter ruins at Glassford. A few volunteers were going to head out there for a recce, and when they found out I'd been there a few times I was roped into coming along. They were all on duallies, and with one exception, electric duallies at that. So as soon as the going got rough and hilly (to say nothing of half a dozen deep creek crossings), I was left far behind on Ye Olde Mountain Penny Farthing. It was worth the effort as a whole lot of work had been put in with whippersnippers to get the place as clean and open as I've ever seen it (unfortunately I didn't get any photos from the trip). The return was mostly uneventful except for a slow speed tumble in deep creek sand that saw me land on a rock and draw a bit of blood.

With around 240 people at camp in the afternoon it was much bigger and busier than I had imagined, and I was glad to get a lift in a side by side

I found myself a spot working on dinner prep with a fabulous bunch of people from the Gladstone Rotary group, and we had our work cut out for us serving up hundreds of burgers.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 22, 2024 4:24 pm

After a surprisingly good sleep on the sagging MDF floor of the Trottage, I was up bright and early on Saturday morning. I'd been tasked with leading the group from Golembil to Builyan and back, then up through the tunnels to Barimoon and back down.

My mental picture was of a group of say 15-20 riders, so it was a hell of a shock to look out at a sea of lycra, somewhere around 70 people :shock:

Well I had a hi-vis vest, an EPIRB, and a sat phone, and two other vollies to ride on the tail, so after giving the crowd a quick briefing I set off down the trail.

With the trail surface just a little slippery in some low spots, and a couple of gates and deep (but dry) creek crossings in the first couple of kilometres, we were soon strung out quite a bit. After a stop at the Many Peaks station area to point out the water tank and turntable, then another pause at Deception Creek where a timber trestle bridge was buried to form an embankment, we rolled past the Trottage and up to Creative Ground Art Cafe (formerly Kirsten's Cottage).

I stopped in that afternoon and a somewhat shell shocked Natasha (the new owner) told me they had made 75 coffees in just over an hour!

We had been at the shop for quite some time without seeing the tail riders come through, and I was getting a bit concerned, not least as the first riders to arrive were by now ready to get moving again. Eventually they rolled up, delayed by sorting out a broken chain and assisting quite a few riders who were confused by insufficient signage at road intersections and got lost. We decided to split into two groups, and I would lead the first group back. I was held up a little getting away, and after stopping to clear some grass wrapped around my cassette I had a TT effort on my hands to chase down the electric assisted riders up ahead. For several miles I churned the pedals as best I could, feeling stronger than I had in a long time. I finally caught them a few kms from Golembil, and lead the group at a more sedate pace into camp.

Where there was a flurry of activity, as a rider in one of the other groups had been unlucky enough to suffer a broken leg through a fairly minor tumble, and was awaiting the arrival of the RACQ rescue chopper. In a rush I updated the organisers on where things were at with my group, refilled my water bottles, got all the riders who wanted to continue up the range through camp to the Glassford Creek bridge, did a quick sweep and then set off to be out of the way.

I'm happy to report the rider in question is expected to make a full recovery having had surgery the following day.

Now in all the hullabaloo, the one thing I didn't remember to do at Golembil was EAT. I remembered a kilometre or so up the track, but the first part of the ride was only 32km, and the remainder a mere 22kms.

Well I hadn't ridden up the range before, only down, and it's one heck of a climb, especially when everyone around you is on bionycles. I thought I was just a bit tired and rolling around tolerably well, but a kindly bloke from Townsville named Greg soon insisted on feeding me a handful of lollies. Within just seconds I could feel my head literally lifting, and with a bit of pacing and encouragement I was back into a useful condition.

Once we were back within reach of Golembil and Greg could be honest rather than encouraging, he said it was about the worst case of bonk he'd seen. "I was watching you for a couple of k and I could see you just getting slower and slower, and your head drooping lower and lower to your bars". I'm more than a little annoyed I didn't realise it myself (it's not as though I haven't experienced it before!) but there was a LOT going on that day, and I'm only human. I inhaled as much food and water as I could and had a fantastic hot shower to get myself ready for another evening of kitchen duties.

The drama for the day wasn't over, as the dedicated first aid officer in camp suffered a heart attack in the afternoon! :shock: Luckily there were several nurses and doctors participating in the ride who came to the rescue, and after a short stay in hospital the word came through several days after the event that he had made a full recovery.

Saturday night was a lot easier though, as the beautiful roast veg and beef or chicken meals had been pre cooked at Golden Chicken in Gladstone and driven the 110km out to Golembil in foil trays packed in polystyrene boxes, so all we had to do was hand them out.

I took the opportunity to get in front of the microphone to thank the riders for their understanding and patience with the delays in the morning, thank the other volunteers for their efforts, and most of all, thank Greg for dragging me up and down the mountains :)

I had been hoping for an opportunity to do some astrophotography over the Glassford copper smelter chimney while there were a large number of other people around to deter attacks from yowies or god only knows what else might be lurking up there, but by this point the weather was starting to close in. On the plus side the light rain reflected the camp floodlights providing a great background from the main Gladstone-Monto Road.

As I was setting up my tripod a passing police car and an ambulance came to a screeching halt to work out what the lunatic was doing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, at night, in the rain :lol:

Back to the Trottage for sleep, there was still another big day ahead.
Last edited by ldrcycles on Thu May 23, 2024 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 23, 2024 4:58 am

Ya lunatic. :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 23, 2024 11:16 am

Overnight the rain gauges on the mountains around the valley recorded only 10mm, but that's quite enough rain to make this usually dusty area very damp. After the difficulties encountered on Saturday, we split up the Builyan group into 3 more manageable sized bunches, and with two extra volunteers I was feeling a lot more relaxed. With 86kms of rough riding on the old hardtail under my belt I had to resort to wearing a second pair of knicks, which made a big difference in comfort.

The light rain wasn't much of an issue, but the slippery trail was. Everyone made it to Builyan without incident though.

With the rain well set in, I suggested we take the road for the return trip, which aside from being easier going, had the added attraction of passing the Many Peaks railway dam and some lovely scenery along Deception and Glassford Creeks. There's very little traffic at any time on that road, and on this rainy Sunday morning 4 of the 6 cars that passed us were event volunteers. I copped a flat tyre just 2kms from the finish (my own fault for cramming a 650B tube in when I had run out of 26" ones some time ago and forgetting to replace it) but I'd lashed out on a nice new mini pump just a few days before and had it fixed with ease.

Unfortunately not long after I'd finished one rider coming into camp on the vehicle track from the main road came down on some slick clay, so I ran over with a bunch of other people to help out. He had some minor cuts on his legs but was a little hazy from bumping his head and after some first aid ended up going to Monto hospital for a check over. For such a large number of riders in VERY rugged and remote country in the weather we had, to have only two significant crashes is very good going.

Due to the rain the road into Barimoon Siding near Kalpowar was pretty much unusable, so the official opening of the disabled access trail surface and toilets up there was instead held in camp, along with celebrating the 100th anniversary of the completion of the retaining walls between the tunnels, attended by the builder's great grand-daughter.

I headed off for a thankfully uneventful 400km drive home, getting back to Kin Kin around 9pm.

I'll always remember this event, I've never experienced such an amazing energy as ran through the Valley that weekend. Every last person was welcoming, friendly, and so excited to be in a beautiful place, having fun with like minded people. Both BBIRT and BQ have already confirmed the event will run again, and it'll take something apocalyptic to keep me from being there.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 23, 2024 1:22 pm

Back home, and when the geomagnetic storm hit I figured it was worth heading out with the tripod. If conditions weren't right for aurora, well there would still be stars.

It was only barely visible to the naked eye, but I was still stunned it could be captured this far north. At the same time people were getting photos from all the way up near Mackay.

On the topic of rare and colourful events, I accidentally got in the wrong place while playing squash...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 29, 2024 2:28 pm

The tradeoff for cold mornings this time of year is absolutely gorgeous days, though I only get one a week to take advantage of :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 31, 2024 10:14 am

In the course of resurrecting an old internal fenceline to allow a neighbour to run some stock on the back ridge, I've seen very unexpected success in liberating some areas from lantana with Ye Olde Leyland. Unfortunately the other day that coincided with Big Blue getting hotter than ever, to the extent of smoke coming off the side of the engine block. That may have been related to topping up the oil with the only stuff I had on hand, thin modern stuff that was likely not to her archaic tastes.

So off I went to spend about $180 on oil and coolant to give the old girl a proper service. She may be a 50 year old heap with severe deficiencies (the practically non-existent brakes and overly light front end the most severe) but she's all I've got so things need to keep limping on for a while yet.

Not having a shed to work in isn't ideal, but at least the view is nice.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 31, 2024 12:21 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:14 am
In the course of resurrecting an old internal fenceline to allow a neighbour to run some stock on the back ridge, I've seen very unexpected success in liberating some areas from lantana with Ye Olde Leyland. Unfortunately the other day that coincided with Big Blue getting hotter than ever, to the extent of smoke coming off the side of the engine block. That may have been related to topping up the oil with the only stuff I had on hand, thin modern stuff that was likely not to her archaic tastes.

So off I went to spend about $180 on oil and coolant to give the old girl a proper service. She may be a 50 year old heap with severe deficiencies (the practically non-existent brakes and overly light front end the most severe) but she's all I've got so things need to keep limping on for a while yet.

Not having a shed to work in isn't ideal, but at least the view is nice.

50 years old !
Doesn’t look like she’s 50 years old.
She hides her age well.
But could do with a repaint in MAROONS colours of course
Out in the bush you do see some seriously old tractors.
There’s a farm beside the Railtrail at Burringbar, the tractor looks REAL old, about 70 yrs I think and still in use.
Up in North Qld you used to see a lot of really old tractors (ex-cane farming ones. I think) getting a new life as boat tractors.
Anyhow, hope the old girl appreciates all the money that you have spent on her.
Safe tractoring !

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 31, 2024 3:43 pm

elantra wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:21 pm
But could do with a repaint in MAROONS colours of course
Yes it's a pity Leylands are blue, but the cardinal rule of tractors is thou shalt not paint them a different colour. If you thought cyclists got worked up over things like sock height that's nothing on farmers if someone dared to suggest painting a Deutz anything but green. On my wish list when I can afford to replace the Leyland in front line duty is a 90s-early2000s Massey-Ferguson of 80-100hp, complete with a heavy duty forest mulcher. Oh the havoc I could create with something like that :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:29 am

Basically no riding to report for the last few weeks, partly due to being laid low with yet another generously shared cold from my son. I got blood taken for a battery of tests yesterday hoping to track down a physiological cause for always being sick, and in the process lost consciousness. I've had blood taken plenty of times over the years and never had an issue, but the nurse wasn't fazed as apparently it's not uncommon for people's bodies to just turn off like that. I felt like absolute garbage for quite a while afterwards though so I'd rather not repeat the experience :lol:

The cold weather is back, which means more astrophotography!

And I'm very happy to report that with help from a neighbour the back fence is finally complete.

With that out of the way I can now get back to working on the tiny house, only a couple of weeks now to have it up at Builyan for a family stay during the school holidays.