Devonport to Launceston

oscar.toraman

Devonport to Launceston

Postby oscar.toraman » Wed May 08, 2024 9:27 pm

Hi All,

I will go to Tasmania next week for a 3 days cycling, I have a road bike, which way would you recommend me to follow?

Thanks for your kind reply
Oscar

warthog1

Re: Devonport to Launceston

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 08, 2024 10:59 pm

I follow Richie Porte on Strava. He lives in Launceston. He did it on March 17.

Dogs are the best people :wink:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu May 09, 2024 7:11 am

^ I took a similar route when I did it about a decade ago, but where Richie turns left to Beaconsfield, I just continued through to Exeter.

It’s a good ride, but it does get a fair amount of trucks at times and often there’s little to no shoulder.

Another option is to take the Bass Hwy south to Deloraine, then back roads to Launceston via Westbury, Hagley and Carrick. There’s probably quieter roads to Deloraine if you’re not in a hurry.

oscar.toraman

Postby oscar.toraman » Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 pm

Thanks guys for your kind feedback! Have a great weekend!

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Sat May 11, 2024 12:49 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:11 am
^ I took a similar route when I did it about a decade ago, but where Richie turns left to Beaconsfield, I just continued through to Exeter.

It’s a good ride, but it does get a fair amount of trucks at times and often there’s little to no shoulder.
If this is specifically about the West Tamar Hwy, you can cut a bit more of it out by detouring down either of the roads between Glengarry and Bridgenorth and then taking a left to Legana (still a quite fast highway section) or the longer route right to Riverside (more suburban with lighted intersections and such.) Otherwise, I think no shoulder and trucks is what you're getting everywhere in the area.

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:13 am

It's been a while, but if future readers come across this thread, a scenic point of interest that may or may not still exist on the Bridgenorth->Legana route is an emu farm along that road. No idea if it's still there, been over a decade since I've lived in the area but it was there the whole time I was around.