Nos defy sl

davehirst

Nos defy sl

Postby davehirst » Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm

I found a defy sl 2016, still in the box. The shop will sell it with full warranty.
Slr 0 wheels 11 sp mech ultegra, its the black red version.
I believe it will only take 28mm tyres, and i am fine with that.
They are asking 3000. Can anybody talk me out of this, is there a reason its not a really good deal.
Thanks

MichaelB

Re: Nos defy sl

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 07, 2024 2:36 pm

davehirst wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm
I found a defy sl 2016, still in the box. The shop will sell it with full warranty.
They are asking 3000. Can anybody talk me out of this, is there a reason its not a really good deal.
Thanks
What is the current version worth & specs ?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes ... ed-sl-2024

Appears the main differences is Ui2 and $9,499 RRP.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue May 07, 2024 2:46 pm

I'm happily riding a NOS 2017 Focus Izalco Max frameset I bought last year so have done similar. I am a bit hamstrung because of its 'quirks' in that I can't run a Di2 groupset or anything wider than 25mm but it's light, it was cheap and I'm happy.

However in your case I'd seriously consider a 2022 Defy Advanced instead.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... d=21139755

There's a Giant Factory Sale on the old stock currently so they're all $2999. I'd rather be riding a 1-2 year old frameset on 105 than an 8 year old one on Ultegra. In fact there looks to be stock of 2022 Advanced 1 (so Ultegra) around for $3200. That seems like a much better option to me!

The SL will definitely be lighter but who knows by how much with Giant with their 'we won't actually weigh our bikes for you' policy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm

davehirst wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm
Thanks
Seems fine to me. 28mm is plenty for most riding, that's what I have on my Cervelo S5 (2020) - they only just fit. New bike, what's not to like. Cheap too!

Mechanical ultegra can still shift well if you are a wizard with tweaking mechanical gearing.
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue May 07, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 07, 2024 3:17 pm

I would pass due to the tyre clearance. Wheels are getting wider. 28 is ok but I see 30 becoming the new norm as 25mm int wheels become more common.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 07, 2024 4:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:17 pm
I would pass due to the tyre clearance. Wheels are getting wider. 28 is ok but I see 30 becoming the new norm as 25mm int wheels become more common.
Additionally, probably Ultegra 6800 which has the crankset "recall", along with Ultegra 8000.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue May 07, 2024 5:08 pm

A 2016 Defy?
That is...let me count the years...8 long years. And that number of years is a very long time in bike component technology.
You will not get any updates for the derailleurs/shifting metrics that today are so much a part and parcel of continuously refining the complexities of shifting on road bikes.

Tyres of 28 are just fine if you are starting out. This width is an ideal middle ground — not too thick, not too thin and a good variety off-the-shelf compared to what some might think are the more common 30+ sizes. If you want more speed and finesse off 28, go down in width— 25 or so, not up. I can easily handle smooth hard clay-pan roads on 28, but avoid unconsolidated soft gravel or dirt. There are bikes for that: MTBs or gravel-grinders.

I would generally recommend a pass on anything that old all things considered, the very same judgement I made when looking around before landing on the TCR 0 AR; several dusty 2016-vintage bikes with 105 and Ultegra (there were recalls for cranksets around 2016) were exorbitantly priced, devoid of updates, outdated equipment and no forward interchangeability. Maybe a case of Buyer Beware? What else can you find for $3,000 to $6,000 (the recommended starting point for modern tech) from GIANT?
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Tue May 07, 2024 6:34 pm

All valid points, i dont mind mechanical, i can tune easily enough, but yes it would be 6800 vintage.
28 mm is fine, i run them on my tarmac.
Not sure how much more compliance they have engineered into modern frames.
I know he also has some 2022 frames, i will price them and maybe build my own.
I have a lot of bits off my tarmac i could use.
Seems like you cant give rim brake bikes away these days.
Not interested in bikes with pr2 wheels, as thats extra i would have to spend to swap them out.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 pm

davehirst wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:34 pm
All valid points, i dont mind mechanical, i can tune easily enough, but yes it would be 6800 vintage.
28 mm is fine, i run them on my tarmac.
Not sure how much more compliance they have engineered into modern frames.
I know he also has some 2022 frames, i will price them and maybe build my own.
I have a lot of bits off my tarmac i could use.
Seems like you cant give rim brake bikes away these days.
Not interested in bikes with pr2 wheels, as thats extra i would have to spend to swap them out.
This thing is Ultegra 6800 vintage:

And it shifted sweet as anything. 8) Okay, Mavic mechanics are very very good at maintaining their bikes, but it did run well. It was interesting to ride one of their top level bikes with 52-36 and 11-28 in the mountains.

Yes, the rim brakes are not as powerful as the disc brakes are now, but certain combinations are good. My Canyon CF Evo with SRAM Red rim brakes and alloy Fulcrum Zero Competizione is pretty good for stopping ability, but just not in the league of my S5 which is outrageous.

The Defy would be great for long distance riding.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 pm

FWIW I have a giant defy advanced pro 0, 2017 model.

That is still an extremely comfortable bike to ride. I have 32mm tyres on it, but the frame may have changed between to 2016 and 2017 models.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Tue May 07, 2024 8:24 pm

I actually really like my tarmac, I find, lately I am getting upper back shoulder pain on rides above 80 km.
Would putting a 17 degree stem on it be able stupid/ Hubbard idea.
It's all duraace and brakes are good exept on steepest of hills or in wet.
These days I live in Malaysia and braking can be important.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue May 07, 2024 9:35 pm

$3000 is probably what it cost back then. I’d offer $1500 with a view towards paying $1800 maximum. No way I’d pay $3000.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 07, 2024 9:44 pm

davehirst wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:24 pm
I actually really like my tarmac, I find, lately I am getting upper back shoulder pain on rides above 80 km.
Would putting a 17 degree stem on it be able stupid/ Hubbard idea.
It's all duraace and brakes are good exept on steepest of hills or in wet.
These days I live in Malaysia and braking can be important.
Is there anything else contributing to the shoulder pain? Is it something that some off-the-bike exercises and stretching prescribed by a physio could help sort out?

I had to do a lot of physio and off-the-bike exercises/stretching with the condition I was in, so it might be worth you looking into that before changing the bike up too much.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 07, 2024 10:14 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:08 pm
A 2016 Defy?
That is...let me count the years...8 long years. And that number of years is a very long time in bike component technology.
You will not get any updates for the derailleurs/shifting metrics that today are so much a part and parcel of continuously refining the complexities of shifting on road bikes.

Tyres of 28 are just fine if you are starting out. This width is an ideal middle ground — not too thick, not too thin and a good variety off-the-shelf compared to what some might think are the more common 30+ sizes. If you want more speed and finesse off 28, go down in width— 25 or so, not up. I can easily handle smooth hard clay-pan roads on 28, but avoid unconsolidated soft gravel or dirt. There are bikes for that: MTBs or gravel-grinders.

I would generally recommend a pass on anything that old all things considered, the very same judgement I made when looking around before landing on the TCR 0 AR; several dusty 2016-vintage bikes with 105 and Ultegra (there were recalls for cranksets around 2016) were exorbitantly priced, devoid of updates, outdated equipment and no forward interchangeability. Maybe a case of Buyer Beware? What else can you find for $3,000 to $6,000 (the recommended starting point for modern tech) from GIANT?
Bullschidt. Component groups are produced on average for five-year runs with minimal variation within the series production. A 2016-model bike is likely no more than one technical generation behind the current crop. As far as electronics go it might do things a bit differently from older systems, but it doesn't do anything appreciably better; mechanical systems are even less revolutionary and if anything worse than gear from 20 years ago in some respects.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 07, 2024 10:19 pm

If it fits 32mm tyres as the 2017 of Robbo's does then seems like a go, but yeah see if you can knock em down a bit.
I am a big fan of discs, that is a big reason to upgrade for me.
I love carbon wheels and getting the braking heat and wear off the rim is gold imo.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Tue May 07, 2024 10:31 pm

This is mechanical, which i wanted. I like the feeling of a well timed shift, it far outweighs the premium they ask for electronic.
Prior to my tarmac i had 7800 and it shifted fine and in its dotage, so no concerns about being out of date, although i will find out what cage, so i can increase the cassette size at present its a 28..
Perhaps a physio might be an idea.
I am struggling with do i really need a new bike or is it a touch of materialism.
I have an aluminium synapse, mechanical disc that i can pull off my trainer if i am hitting large downhills, but its 2 kg heavier .

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm

6800 GS rear derailleur (med cage) will run a 32 on the back. My road cassettes have been 11s 32-11 for years. Bloody great range. 105 7000 and ultegra 6800 GS derailleurs on a couple of my bikes.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 07, 2024 10:48 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:35 pm
$3000 is probably what it cost back then. I’d offer $1500 with a view towards paying $1800 maximum. No way I’d pay $3000.
The Advanced SL frames are the top spec in their respective model ranges. The model the OP is querying was listed at $5200 in its day. Selling at $3k, the seller is only just breaking even.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 pm

davehirst wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:31 pm
....i will find out what cage, so i can increase the cassette size at present its a 28..
Cage length is only half of the story regarding the size of cassette that can be fitted. A longer cage, by wrapping more chain, enables a greater overall gear range, however it's the geometry of the upper body of the derailleur that dictates the maximum sprocket size it will fit under.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 07, 2024 11:23 pm

6800 ss list 28 as the max low gear sprocket
https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/ ... 00-SS.html
6800 gs list 32 as the max sprocket size
https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/ ... 00-GS.html

Shimano are conservative for what they list apparently but they list the gs as capable of a larger toothed low gear.

It isn't too pricey to slap one of these on there. https://www.merlincycles.com/en-au/shim ... 11021.html

They list 34 as the max low gear for that but apparently it may run 40.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Wed May 08, 2024 12:13 am

Cassette size is not a deal breaker, as i will swap my 9100 rd and cranks over if i go that way
Try and sell the Cannondale and put the tarmac on the trainer. May the dale will be easier to sell

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 08, 2024 7:09 am

I would still try to knock down the price, put in an offer. Full warranty is reassuring.

6800 is still probably ok to get part replacements but as time passes availability gets harder. (Will sell you my compact chain rings :)

Interesting that with the pandemic and limited availability that it wasn’t sold then.
Cycling is in my BNA

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed May 08, 2024 7:52 am

First question - rim brake or disc brake? All I can find in the 2016 range for SLs that are black and red are disc brake models, so I'll assume that it's a disc brake model like this one:

If it's the disc brake model I'm assuming, be aware that:
- the original Shimano mechanical hydraulic hoods on this bike (RS685) are chunky - not particularly comfortable if you have small hands
- the brake calipers are more prone to disc brake rub than later series calipers as there's less clearance between the caliper and rotor
- you've already noted max teeth of 28t on the standard derailleur (but that's cheap enough to change)
- frame and fork use quick release end caps rather than thru-axles - means that with pretty much any wheel upgrade you'll have to get different end caps (if they're available). Wide tyres >28mm are best supported by a rim with a wide internal width, which that Defy won't have as stock (most likely it has 17mm internal width, most wheels now are using 21-25mm internal width). I can't find any information on whether those wheels would be tubeless compatible either.
- post-mount brake mounts are used - means any groupset upgrade will probably require an adapter for flat mount calipers or finding post-mount calipers separately
- wheels use 6-bolt disc mounts - it's fine as it's the old MTB standard and heaps are available, most road discs are centrelock now though. No big deal as spares will be available forever.
- Ultegra 6800 cranks are prone to failure and are subject to a process from Shimano where they will be replaced if they start showing signs of bonding failure, though with a brand new crank this shouldn't be a problem for years
- Rotors are 140mm front and rear (I think). I would suggest getting a 160mm for the front unless you are <65kg.

Given that many standards have moved on, I would probably pass on this model. It's not a terrible buy, but things have moved on since the early disc-brake days and the difficulty of upgrading things (e.g. adapters required) would make me think twice.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Wed May 08, 2024 8:45 am

2wheels_mond wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:52 am
First question - rim brake or disc brake? All I can find in the 2016 range for SLs that are black and red are disc brake models, so I'll assume that it's a disc brake model like this onr and rotor.
This is the same bike, thanks for this post, it sums up all the issues i was thinking about perfectly.

I will look at more modern offerings.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed May 08, 2024 12:12 pm

2016 possibly 2015 build. Sitting in box.

Rubber components gone hard or on the way out. New tyres, tubes
Grease in bearings might have gone hard - make sure everything is serviced before you pick it up.
Bar tape glue gone flaky?
Shifter cables will probably require attention or replacement.
Brake calibers flat mount or hard to get post mount?

I bought a 2012 Roubaix 5700 in 2020 which had sat in a collectors warehouse - never ridden.
New tyres and tubes, brake blocks, shifter cables, and grease service including headset and wheel bearings. Great bike..... and it cost me. ....$650.00