Postby Cycling Wombat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 pm

^ Have you cycled in Sydney? :lol: :lol:

Retrobyte

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:19 pm

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 pm
^ Have you cycled in Sydney? :lol: :lol:
I ride that section of path every week day on my commute, and yes I know what people are like. Even so, I think the chances of a cyclist ending up in that drain are remote - I'd brake to a stop instead of choosing to go around someone by using the brand new strip of freshly laid soft turf.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 am

Heads up that there is road/footpath works this week on the eastern side of the narrow bridge near Rheem at Rydalmere. When coming off the bridge heading west the path is closed off and there is an abrupt "detour" in place using astroturf on the gravel. This morning I diverted around the bridge by riding up the road and using the crossing at the light rail stop instead

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 pm

Also closed is the bridge across the river in Parramatta coming off Phillip Street and going beside the Sahra restaurant.

They are doing construction work to paint(!) patterns and messages on the path. I’m all for the cultural stuff but this is where people walk or ride to get to and from work! I have some photos, will post later.

Not pleased at all.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 pm
Also closed is the bridge across the river in Parramatta coming off Phillip Street and going beside the Sahra restaurant.

They are doing construction work to paint(!) patterns and messages on the path. I’m all for the cultural stuff but this is where people walk or ride to get to and from work! I have some photos, will post later.

Not pleased at all.
There are several other crossings not far from there - Church St, the causeway near the ferry wharf, the causeway under the Wilde St bridge, Alfred St bridge, and Parra Park itself. Any are short detours from that crossing - it's nice to have so many options

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 am
Heads up that there is road/footpath works this week on the eastern side of the narrow bridge near Rheem at Rydalmere. When coming off the bridge heading west the path is closed off and there is an abrupt "detour" in place using astroturf on the gravel. This morning I diverted around the bridge by riding up the road and using the crossing at the light rail stop instead
Spoke to a worker this afternoon - they think it will be completed at the end of next week

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 pm

Not pleased at all.
There are several other crossings not far from there - Church St, the causeway near the ferry wharf, the causeway under the Wilde St bridge, Alfred St bridge, and Parra Park itself. Any are short detours from that crossing - it's nice to have so many options
Why don't they paint the road instead? :wink: oooh no, that would inconvenience all important motorists.

I am sure they could have satisfied this requirement in other ways.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Looks like work will be starting soon on the separated path west of Rydalmere wharf - it is only a short section (from the wharf to the Thackeray St bridge) but I guess every little bit helps. The grass area adjacent to this section was fenced off today, but no disruption to the shared path at the moment.