Aldi Specials

Andy01

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Andy01 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:07 am

ilovemybike wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:14 pm
find_bruce wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:12 am
Aldi have a few bike things on sale Saturday 8 April - e-bike, pump etc. No tools nor clothes this time round
Thanks for the heads up. What are usually good buys? I brought a bike stand last sale and think that was pretty good. I also got a bike pump, I think it does the job but i read a few posts above that the guage is not accurate - I have no idea, i don't have anything to go by.
I bought an Aldi footpump last year and no, the gauge is not accurate. If I pump to 50-52psi on the gauge, I measure 40psi actual using my digital shock pump gauge (which is pretty accurate). It seems to be about 10psi high in this "mid-range" of pressures (30-50psi).

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:55 pm

Local Aldi has the MucOff Urban 4 step system products. Bought one of the cleaner, didn't need the degreaser, chain lube or dry lube. Will see how it goes.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:36 am

ilovemybike wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:14 pm
[I also got a bike pump, I think it does the job but i read a few posts above that the guage is not accurate - I have no idea,
Those $15 floor pumps are pretty good value, I've had one for many years and it's never me down. Sadly however the gauge is fairly inaccurate, as others have mentioned, and it tends to over-read.

At least the gauge is reasonably consistent though, so my advice is to just find the pressure that you're happy with (that rides well for you) and set the little red needled to that point on the dial so that you can consistently inflate them to that level.

BTW. The red needle is just a marker that you can set using the knurled knob in the middle of the gauge.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:23 am

uart wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:36 am
... it's never me down.
Teehee :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

uart

Postby uart » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:02 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:23 am
uart wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:36 am
... it's never me down.
Teehee :mrgreen:
I'm glad that you're so easily amused. :D

Yes, when I first found out that the gauge was inaccurate, I was feeling a little deflated. But when I realized how well it otherwise worked, I was pumped.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am

Aldi bike stuff again - Special buys Saturday 6 April

Helmets have doubled in price - cause they're now labeled "premium". Pump, curiously named "foot pump", seems to remain good value, or pay the lazy tax for a lithium powered compressor. Seems they've given up on tools.

In a sign of the times the bike is now an electric fat bike :roll:

Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 am

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am

oh no

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 am

That "bike" would work well for Byron Bay - it can carry 2-3 people on that seat. Byron is starting to resemble Thailand/Malaysia/Vietnam with entire families on electric "bicycles" (term used loosely) - many are bigger than this Aldi one and most (all ?) are throttle controlled so no need to peddle and can do 40km/h easily.

If I remember correctly, the last Aldi toolset was about half the number of tools and the price had gone up a fair bit from when I bought mine in 2020, so not too surprised that they have dropped it completely this year. That footpump works well enough although the gauge over-reads a bit.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 am
find_bruce wrote:

oh no
Comes with a 250w hub motor, so unlikely to get much above 25kph even if unrestricted.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

blizzard wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 am
jasonc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 am
find_bruce wrote:

oh no
Comes with a 250w hub motor, so unlikely to get much above 25kph even if unrestricted.
There's plenty of that style of bike around locally. Usually with two teenagers doing abojt 40km/h with no pedalling. If its an actual legal version it won't be popular with that crowd as they wont be able to keep up with mates.

I repaired the brakes on a dirodi version a while back. Something was wrong with the electric controller (possibly hacked) so that the second you applied and pedal motion it took of at Max power. Got up to 35 easily. Fortunately the brake cut out switch was working otherwise it might have been a bail out situation.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

bychosis wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

There's plenty of that style of bike around locally. Usually with two teenagers doing abojt 40km/h with no pedalling. If its an actual legal version it won't be popular with that crowd as they wont be able to keep up with mates.

I repaired the brakes on a dirodi version a while back. Something was wrong with the electric controller (possibly hacked) so that the second you applied and pedal motion it took of at Max power. Got up to 35 easily. Fortunately the brake cut out switch was working otherwise it might have been a bail out situation.

The dirodi is in plague proportions in Noosa too, again usually doing 40kmh+ with no pedaling. I will say though the proportion of notably dangerous piloting (weaving around, riding on the wrong side of the road etc) is remarkably low.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm
bychosis wrote:

The dirodi is in plague proportions in Noosa too, again usually doing 40kmh+ with no pedaling. I will say though the proportion of notably dangerous piloting (weaving around, riding on the wrong side of the road etc) is remarkably low.
I pulled out of a carpark last night and amost got t lined by one. No lights.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:29 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm
bychosis wrote:

You can get a Dirodi with a 900Kw motor (off road only - allegedly)
Especially in No Rules Noosa
3 kids up none with helmets often surpassing 60kmh is common
There's probably no Dirodi's in Noosa which haven't been modified for no pedalling and speed limiter removed.
I clocked a guy on an electric skate board at 80 kmh on the motorway between Marcoola and Maroochydore.
The other plague in Noosa is those Giant US pickups.
A few years ago, most of the residents in the Noosa area I live in were retirees - now being taken over by Tradies.

The school buses are so expensive now, it's probably cheaper for parents to buy a Dirodi to get their kids to school.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:29 pm
There's probably no Dirodi's in Noosa which haven't been modified for no pedalling and speed limiter removed.ool.
It's my understanding that there is no modification required to achieve those things on the Dirodis. They're available directly from menu settings.

It's likely that the Aldi ones will be less powerful and not trivial (like just a simple menu setting) to bypass. They probably won't be as desirable to a lot of kids for this reason, but they (and the price) will probably be a lot more desirable to their parents. So I suspect we'll see plenty of kids on them in a couple of weeks.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:40 am

uart wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 pm
They probably won't be as desirable to a lot of kids for this reason, but they (and the price) will probably be a lot more desirable to their parents. So I suspect we'll see plenty of kids on them in a couple of weeks.
And most likely only for a couple of weeks