Lake shoes anywhere?

Jean

Lake shoes anywhere?

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:24 pm

Hi,

After a failed two-year experiment with some Giant road shoes (the PU upper is cracking, and they've come to stink like no cycling shoes I've ever owned), I'm looking around for something else.

Trying Bont seems the most likely step for my wide feet, but I am interested in Lake shoes. Except I can't find them anywhere in Oz anymore. Bikebug seem to have stopped stocking them, and only have remnant pairs left. There's a bike fitter in Brisbane who talks about them on their website, but otherwise I can't find an Australian stockist. The importer's web page links to Bikebug, so that's not a good sign.

Anyone got any local leads worth following up that I've missed?

Cheers
Jean

AndrewCowley

Re: Lake shoes anywhere?

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:20 pm

Sports Pursuit have some Lake shoes in stock.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/footwear?s ... l_footwear.

You'll need to create an account just to browse.

Also they tend to have weird sizes that nobody else would buy.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:07 am

Send Aaron from Fusion Peak a message:
https://fusionpeak.cc/

He may be able to help you out and really knows his stuff so you will be looked after. That said, he may not be as fast in responding as he is recovering from a serious injury.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 am

You can get them locally, but the prices are just crazy.

The only option is (and the one I took apart from the two pairs I got from BB when they started clearing out) was OS.

The palatable options were :
- Lake US Outlet store - reasonable shipping too (for a change)
- Bike24, but shipping is 40 Euro (bought my MX238X from them)
- Bike Discount, shipping also exxy
- BobLeisure Australia (website search is barmy) and prices vary day to day !

Even with much lower than RRP prices from the above, they are still very expensive, but they are Soooooooo much better that anything I've found.

Using the CX238X for the road and the MX238X for Gravel/Commuting

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Thanks for the tips, but the local options seem pretty obscure, and I'm wary of buying shoes from OS (though I have done it before) as the wrong size can be an expensive mistake. Looks like it's time to try some Bonts, at least they are local, and I can exchange or refund with relative ease if the sizing doesn't work out. The Vaypor '23 has also moved away from the 'bathtub' sole, which might be good.

I'll probably need some MTB shoes in a while, so maybe I'll reconsider Lake from OS then.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:15 pm

what size are you after?
Have a pair of CX238, brand new in box, size 42 that is surplus to requirements.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

I just got an email from Bikebug saying that "Lake shoes are back in stock".

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm
I just got an email from Bikebug saying that "Lake shoes are back in stock".
Hmmm, and decent prices too !

Snaffled another pair of CX238X’s but in white. Seems the new stock mainly revolves around a couple of new models

Was going to get a pair from Lake US Outlet shop, but only the full price shop now ships to Aus and not the outlet shop ….

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:20 am

How bizarre! My Bonts shipped two days ago (nearly three weeks into the indicative 8-10 week wait period, so not too bad), so at least there might be a fallback if the Bonts don't fit. Good Bikebug are stocking Lake again.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm

Jean wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:20 am
How bizarre! My Bonts shipped two days ago (nearly three weeks into the indicative 8-10 week wait period, so not too bad), so at least there might be a fallback if the Bonts don't fit. Good Bikebug are stocking Lake again.
Good luck !

Funnily enough, the CX238X that I purchased (but they haven't shipped yet ...) from Bike Bug (AT) $319.99 is waaaaaaaay cheaper than the Lake US Cycling store at USD$349.99 (or about A$536 + shipping), so cheaper by $230 !!! Granted I could only get Black or White, but happy with that.

Paid A$216 ea for the other two pairs

Also had a discussion with them re their non-shipping from the "Outlet Store" ...

Their final response was ;
Hi Michal,
It’s not that we can ship from one site and not the other. It’s that we do not ship sale shoes to Australia due to high shipping costs and once that costs exceeds out cost of the shoe, we are at a loss. This is why are no longer shipping sale items to your area. Any nonsale shoe is allowed.
Unfortunately, other third party sites may have different policies on shipping, but we had to make the decision since we are still a small company not to ship sale shoes to Australia.
The silly thing is that the 'sale' CX238X shoes were USD$249 is still $70 more than the full priced ones at BikeBug, and their full priced ones were another USD$100 again ...

Oh well .....

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:34 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 pm

Was going to get a pair from Lake US Outlet shop, but only the full price shop now ships to Aus and not the outlet shop ….
Is a freight forwarder a viable option? Not that I've used one for a long time. I presume they still exist.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:57 am

Jean wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:34 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 pm

Is a freight forwarder a viable option? Not that I've used one for a long time. I presume they still exist.
Probably, but I'll be content with other suppliers. Shipping from US is just beyond crazy (even worse than Europe) so I'll just be patient and grab them when I'm ready.

Prices from the US are not competitive anyway.