Varia RCT715 Radar/Camera

Retrobyte

Re: Varia RCT715 Radar/Camera

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:04 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:01 am
The stupid thing is you can't even lock the footage from the app so it doesn't get rewritten later which you would have thought was the most important feature the app could actually have.
There must be some way to do it - on the Cycliq cameras if you want to lock footage you press a button after the incident and it locks the current and previous video segment (which on the Cycliq are either 5 minutes or 10 minutes each segment, depending on your settings). The Cycliq also locks footage if the camera tilts more than a certain number of degrees, on the assumption that you've fallen or hit something.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:08 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:04 am
There must be some way to do it - on the Cycliq cameras if you want to lock footage you press a button after the incident and it locks the current and previous video segment (which on the Cycliq are either 5 minutes or 10 minutes each segment, depending on your settings). The Cycliq also locks footage if the camera tilts more than a certain number of degrees, on the assumption that you've fallen or hit something.
I believe you can do it from a compatible Garmin head unit, or by pressing a button on the device at the time. However I'm running a Wahoo head unit and I'm not leaning backwards to fiddle for a button on the device if I'm in a situation that just needed recording.

I'm pretty sure the app is deliberately bad to encourage you to buy a Garmin head unit. I would have thought the ability to 'lock' a section of footage would have been the primary purpose of having the app in the first place. I've only managed to successfully download one clip using the app so far and it took about five minutes. Usually the wifi you use to download the footage times out before you manage to actually download anything. It's that bad.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:02 pm

Made it home no dramas, and the download process is so much easier with the USB cord and the home computer.

Enjoying it so far, though don't know how much footage I'll be saving. The radar feature is excellent, I have no idea how it tracks so many cars at once.

Couple of highlights today - this was probably the worst.

https://youtu.be/JhH54e42NGE

Now I just have to determine what the threshold for actually reporting it is. That's clearly well within 1m, but will the police see it that way?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm

That a 60 or 70 zone?
Looks borderline 1m
You can always report it. At least then there's an incident number related to the driver
Warthog buy a microSD card reader or plug it into your computer using a usb-c cable
I don't see what the difficulty is. The app is crap. Use it to configure the radar. Then ignore it. To download video use a computer

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:46 pm

If you have a decent size SD card you shouldn't run out of room on a ride. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm
That a 60 or 70 zone?
Looks borderline 1m
You can always report it. At least then there's an incident number related to the driver
Warthog buy a microSD card reader or plug it into your computer using a usb-c cable
I don't see what the difficulty is. The app is crap. Use it to configure the radar. Then ignore it. To download video use a computer
Cheers.I don't have one yet and rarely use the computer. Glad to hear the cable-computer option works :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:46 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm
That a 60 or 70 zone?
Looks borderline 1m
Once you realise the app is crap, there's no difficulty. I just don't know how they made it so bad, and have been unable to fix it.

Having the camera actually seems to make you calmer on the road. I think because you know you've got some recourse if someone does something dangerous to you, you don't feel you have to educate them there on the spot. A visit from the police later will do it.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:06 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:02 pm
Now I just have to determine what the threshold for actually reporting it is. That's clearly well within 1m, but will the police see it that way?
You could use the Cycliq software on your computer to edit the video - it works with video from any camera. There is the option to add overlay lines to show 1m ... it asks for the height of the camera and the width of your handelbars, then adds the lines.

I like that the Varia video shows the speed of the vehicles, that could be very useful if there's a close pass or other incident

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm

Decided to pull the trigger on one of these. Hopefully here early next week.

Also ordered some lens protectors from Aliexpress as advised by jasonc.

Interested to see the radar in action, though not sure how effective it'll be on busier roads.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 pm

ningnangnong wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm

Interested to see the radar in action, though not sure how effective it'll be on busier roads.
It's excellent. Am sure you have watched gplama's video. It gives you a dot on the screen for each vehicle that is going faster than you.
My Bike Radar Traffic
https://apps.garmin.com/apps/c5d949c3-9 ... b871e9e733

And there's another app/widget/field that will pop up and give you the approach speed and distance of the vehicle coming.
I can find it if you can't (edit: it may even be the same app)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:47 pm

I agree the radar is excellent, once you understand its limitations.

The only issue I found is more in the drivers - in that the radar can only detect traffic moving towards you. With the pathetic standard of driving these days they're so terrible at modulating their speed that sometimes they completely disappear off your radar a few hundred metres back because they're not concentrating and suddenly and randomly start driving slower than you're riding.

Not that it's a real issue anyway because anyone driving slower than you obviously isn't going to hit you from behind. Just gets a bit confusing until you remember how radar works.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies fellas, definitely looks quite useful - that app/widget sounds very handy too, jasonc.

Of course, perfect timing - I dropped my Edge 530 as I was walking out the door this morning and now the screen won't turn on at all. Still connects via BT and makes sounds when you press the buttons, just a black screen.

My research leads me to believe the connector may have come loose... of course, I rushed into a DIY and tried to pry the screen away to re-seat the connector, and I've put a line across the screen from the pressure. :roll: Serves me right.

I've ordered a replacement screen and I'm going to see if one of those mobile phone repair shops you see in shopping centres will do the repair. Though, I'll also contact Garmin and see if they'll offer a discount for a new product if I send back the old one - has anyone done this before?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:35 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:31 am
I'll also contact Garmin and see if they'll offer a discount for a new product if I send back the old one - has anyone done this before?
yes. currently waiting for my backup watch to be replaced. was ~$175 from memory

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:35 am
ningnangnong wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:31 am
I'll also contact Garmin and see if they'll offer a discount for a new product if I send back the old one - has anyone done this before?
yes. currently waiting for my backup watch to be replaced. was ~$175 from memory
The battery on my 520 Plus was stuffed and I had the head unit replaced with a recertified one for $224.50 plus postage cost to return the old one. Service was pretty slick with delivery in about a week.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:13 am

jasonc wrote:
grt046 wrote: The battery on my 520 Plus was stuffed and I had the head unit replaced with a recertified one for $224.50 plus postage cost to return the old one. Service was pretty slick with delivery in about a week.
Thanks guys! Sounds positive.

You don't happen to have an email for Garmin Support do you? Their website only seems to have a phone number listed which will be difficult for me to contact during their opening hours, unfortunately.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:13 am
jasonc wrote:
grt046 wrote: The battery on my 520 Plus was stuffed and I had the head unit replaced with a recertified one for $224.50 plus postage cost to return the old one. Service was pretty slick with delivery in about a week.
Thanks guys! Sounds positive.

You don't happen to have an email for Garmin Support do you? Their website only seems to have a phone number listed which will be difficult for me to contact during their opening hours, unfortunately.
recommend starting with a phone call, sorry
Product.Support@garmin.com is the email address I have

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:34 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 am
Product.Support@garmin.com is the email address I have
Legend, thanks mate! :)

Will see if I can find some time to call up.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 am
Good call - that was a lot less painful than I was expecting!

Offered me a refurbished Edge 530 for $183.