The new and interesting touring gear thread...

LateStarter

Re: The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Postby LateStarter » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:10 am

Given the silence on this thread for a few years I had assumed on-one toured any more?

The Axle pack looks interesting but unfortunately Thru-Axles have passed me by and unless I win the lottery I don't expect to be replacing my quick release bike/fork/wheels/dynamo & other hubs/other bits any time (ever)
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 am

LateStarter wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:10 am
The Axle pack looks interesting but unfortunately Thru-Axles have passed me by and unless I win the lottery I don't expect to be replacing my quick release bike/fork/wheels/dynamo & other hubs/other bits any time (ever)
I think you would need to win lotto just to by the kit as apparently you need one of their through axles as well. I missed this part earlier.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:44 pm

The new Swift Industries Gemini Cargo Pack features a rigid canister design and a roll-top closure and is meant to attach securely to your favorite cargo cage. Find photos and essential details here

Only US$70 each :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:46 pm

Just released, the new Wilde Waypoint Fork claims to be one of the lightest fully featured carbon forks on the market, complete with three-pack mounts, dynamo routing, and clearance for big tires. Find https://bikepacking.com/news/new-wilde-waypoint-fork/

It's "cheap" at US$525 + shipping and presuming that they will ship. That said who is keen on a carbon fork on their bikepacking/touring bike?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:14 pm

I am not sure what to make of these new 'bikepacking' bars from Ritchey. I suspect I will be sticking to my Jones H-Bar for a longer.

More information/comments at https://bikepacking.com/news/ritchey-comp-buzzard-bar/.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 pm

Another option locally for bikepacking gear ...
As of today, Restrap is thrilled to announce the debut of its dedicated Australian webstore, tailored to meet the needs of adventurers Down Under. Australia’s vibrant cycling scene has long been a hub of innovation and passion worldwide. This move not only demonstrates our commitment to serving Australian riders but also acknowledges the profound influence Australia has on the global cycling community, and our growing presence in the market. Visit the Australian shop here.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:05 pm

One for the Ergon grip fans (myself included). Ergon have a new grip coming out, the Ergon GT1.

I
ntuitively change hand and arm positions for active relief of the upper body. The GT1 is the new multi-position comfort grip with 4 defined gripping areas designed for varying hand and arm positions. The following hand positions can be utilized: Standard grip position, outside grip position, thumb up or palm position. Maximum pressure distribution and wrist support due to the extra-large ergonomic wing, which brings the hand into a natural, neutral position.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 pm

New colour for the Surly Orge ... Fermented Plum.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 am

I like it!
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am

I am not posting much as I know far call about touring, but I am reading. I like the idea of doing a bit of touring.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am
I am not posting much as I know far call about touring, but I am reading. I like the idea of doing a bit of touring.
Warty, you could easily set up your Gravel bike as a bike packing outfit by fitting wider tyres and bikepacking bags......pretty much all you need to do a bit of a trip. Today with the disc brake set ups, riders get different wheel set ups like a 650B with the fattest tyres possible to fit your frame, and then they have the 700C wheels and tyres for general riding.....best of both worlds. Gravel bikes have opened up a lot of possibilities.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am
warthog1 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am
Warty, you could easily set up your Gravel bike as a bike packing outfit by fitting wider tyres and bikepacking bags......pretty much all you need to do a bit of a trip. Today with the disc brake set ups, riders get different wheel set ups like a 650B with the fattest tyres possible to fit your frame, and then they have the 700C wheels and tyres for general riding.....best of both worlds. Gravel bikes have opened up a lot of possibilities.
Yeah it has mount holes on the fork and on the rear triangle I believe.
A bloke I know hear has done a bit with his revolt x with suspension fork.
The tyres are 40mm but it will fit 45. More than big enough I reckon. Maybe at some point in the future it will happen
Dogs are the best people :wink: