RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Re: RUOK?

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

Had to google what a garmin venu sq was.
I have a smart watch in a drawer somewhere but not aware it can do that.
Not sure I want to know at this point. I still have a few years of work ahead of me at least but I am old enough to drop the shift work (with a fight) If I require.
We do a 11hr shift and then call. Can fatigue if we need to. Doing that more often now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm

Never been keen on uber-priced smartwatches like Apple and Samsung — my two nieces hooked onto AppleWatches years ago, and I see from recent surgery that anaesthetists, doctors and nurses too routinely refer to them for ad-hoc obs.

For about 5 years now I've gone to Supercheap and picked up an el-cheapo (relatively speaking!) Blaupunkt smartwatch with attendant app (Wofit). I have all of the data that has been illustrated in the foregoing posts ... sleep (deep, light, etc.) and pulse oximetry, BP, temperature (mine and ambient)...plus the usual cycling/running/walking, counting and stopwatch functions. All that for $59.00 (!). The battery lasts all of 10 days before recharging.

I am a mostly light sleeper unless very tired, and summer/hot weather together with the irksomeness of DLS, deprives me of good sleep and that definitely shows the next day when I get cranky! Sleep is light — like last night, especially when I have a portly longhair puss 'making biscuits' on my bed all...through...the...night...
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm

Never seen smart watches advertised by SuperCheap. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:35 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm
Never been keen on uber-priced smartwatches like Apple and Samsung — my two nieces hooked onto AppleWatches years ago, and I see from recent surgery that anaesthetists, doctors and nurses too routinely refer to them for ad-hoc obs.

For about 5 years now I've gone to Supercheap and picked up an el-cheapo (relatively speaking!) Blaupunkt smartwatch with attendant app (Wofit). I have all of the data that has been illustrated in the foregoing posts ... sleep (deep, light, etc.) and pulse oximetry, BP, temperature (mine and ambient)...plus the usual cycling/running/walking, counting and stopwatch functions. All that for $59.00 (!). The battery lasts all of 10 days before recharging.

I am a mostly light sleeper unless very tired, and summer/hot weather together with the irksomeness of DLS, deprives me of good sleep and that definitely shows the next day when I get cranky! Sleep is light — like last night, especially when I have a portly longhair puss 'making biscuits' on my bed all...through...the...night...
They aren't supposed to be used for full medical monitoring supposedly but they are good at tracking a lot of things and the doctors do like them because provided you wear it enough, you get a pretty good monitoring of the details that matter. The watch itself can pick up on potential problems and warn you.

If you were on the bike and have an accident they will detect that and if you don't respond to it, the thing will automatically do an emergency call with your location.

As long as the watch has a practical app that keeps the data in a way that is useful to look at and track easily why not.

I was initially rather sceptical of them - but seeing how well one worked for someone else after a health drama I went and got the original Apple Watch Ultra:

I have used that now since I think mid last year. I wear it when I'm out riding. It does a lot of things that I find convenient. Paying for things, I don't get the card or phone out to do that. The band I replaced with a cheap Titanium one off Amazon. It's not quite as nice as the Titanium on the watch but it's nicer than the original Alpine loop band it originally came with, the band is scuffed and scratched but it's a watch for practical purposes - not a piece of jewellery.

One thing it does do when I'm out walking (I use Strava on the watch to track walking) - noisy environments, it warns of excessive noise. I've been surprised by that, I'm walking beside a main road and a truck goes past, the thing warns about the noise being too high for safety. Previously I wouldn't have noticed that. Sleep tracking on it as well - it has picked up my resting heart rate has changed as well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:07 am

I am impressed at what it actually shows and heart rate count is the same as my BP machine. :mrgreen: Last night was the 2nd night that I had it on and indicates that I had better sleep = more time in REM pattern and body battery is 43 instead of 5 this morning. I tend to think it the readings are pretty good and I do feel better this morning than yesterday, so it will be good to look at a weeks worth of date tracking and see how much my days can vary. :idea:

I also didn't pay full price due to it being on sale. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm
Never seen smart watches advertised by SuperCheap. :shock:

Foo

Keep good watch. :lol:
I reckon by May-June this year Supercheap will have new Blaupunkt watches on offer; both my watches were bought from SCA around May-July. They will often pop up unexpectedly in the proverbial 'cattledawgs' that Supercheap prints and stuffs in newspapers. My first smartwatch there was found purely by chance, sitting against the counter!
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm

From the world of Rugby League:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-s ... 5fa8d.html

Sport is great of course, but keep balance.