Cup and cone BB race pits

Mickey1980

Cup and cone BB race pits

Postby Mickey1980 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:25 am

Hello, my fellow bicycle enthusiasts!
I have recently acquired a vintage Europa road bike frame that has old Shimano cup and cone BB. On disassembly and inspection, I found the races on both sides and a spindle have pits. Does this mean an automatic write-off?

foo on patrol

Re: Cup and cone BB race pits

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59 am

You don't need the races you can still pick up axles and cups for these bikes and ball bearing can be bought from bearing suppliers also, so you don't have to get them from bike shops. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver 2

Re: Cup and cone BB race pits

Postby Derny Driver 2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:36 pm

Mickey1980 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:25 am
Hello, my fellow bicycle enthusiasts!
I have recently acquired a vintage Europa road bike frame that has old Shimano cup and cone BB. On disassembly and inspection, I found the races on both sides and a spindle have pits. Does this mean an automatic write-off?
Depends if you are going to ride the bike a lot or not. Often with these old BBs, you can just clean them up, regrease and assemble and they are still fine. Minor pitting wont be noticeable.
If its still notchy then replace it. There are heaps of vintage parts like this on Retro Cycling Marketplace fb page. Juts put a wanted post up. Someone will sell you one.