Ambivalent shop not in agreement with sizing of bike...drrrrft

CmdrBiggles

Ambivalent shop not in agreement with sizing of bike...drrrrft

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:51 pm

Greetings to fellow roadies!

I am returning to road cycling — something I pretty much finished with 13 years ago as the bike I had at the time was as much as I could afford, not particularly light, never mind unresponsible, and more at home in retrospect in Hipsterville than Highton (Geelong...).

Now, I am returning to the fray, and my, my, how much bike and frame technology as come in those 13 long years!

I have settled on a GIANT TCR ADVANCED PRO DISC 1 AXS, examined thoroughly in the shop (the way it glimmers and gleams in the shop made it look a bit like a party animal...), and fitted 'kind-of' with the — a) standover top tube test in standard shoes (same height as my Shimano SPD shoes, which would be installed on said bike); b) adjust seatpost down and sit on; c) natural reach to handlebars; a little 'out there', but not unduly stretched (slight bend in elbow). There is ball of foot contact with floor with seat post set to appropriate height;the leg,is within the ballpark of stroke as a guesstimate as no pedals fitted.

But there is a problem. And it's not me (at least that's what I think!! :lol: )

The shop will not sell it to me, much less provide a test ride, because "...the frame is too big for you."
Eh? Despite the top-tube standover clearance (2.5cm) test with shoes on? Well, it is a size Medium, and he said I need a size Small, even though M, seems to fit satisfactorily? WTH!!? Apparently this larger size (M) is not a 'correct fit' and compromises the bike's handling: directional ('trig' or something??), and cornering stability (?). Will they fit pedals on for a test ride? No. If I paid a deposit, does that seal the deal? And No. :roll: I need counsel from dinkum roadies. Gather all ye to the fray.

In the absence of not being able to purchase the bike on display, in ready-to-ride out form, I would have to wait 6 to 8+ weeks for a size small when a medium would seem to me to be just honky-tonk and tickety-boo. Or is it?

Waaaay back when I was road cycling with AUDAX Australia, the first road bike, customed designed by a mad German cyclist, was 2 sizes too big for me. Yet I rode the Bendigo Double Century (Melbourne-Bendigo-Melbourne) twice in 1985 and 1986. Had I fallen onto the top tube of that aberration of a bike I would have castrated myself quite neatly.

So...
Is something wrong here e.g. strict road bike sizing conventions, or is the shop edging on the side of safety/responsibility and rather than the customer's whim? :? I am 163.7cm and weigh 63kg AND—, I am 63. :D Some politician from decades ago once said it: "a beautiful set of numbers..."

warthog1

Re: Ambivalent shop not in agreement with sizing of bike...drrrrft

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 pm

If it is the Bendigo Giant shop I am confident they know their stuff with respect to sizing.

Reading the top line it seems Geelong.
At 163cm you seem very short for a medium. I am not you though.
I am 184cm and ride a M/L TCR and L Revolt. Both are running a 130mm stem
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:08 pm

Looking at Geometry Geeks that bike is huge. I'm talking a 550mm effective top tube, stack of 545mm and reach of 388mm.

For comparison I'm 10cm taller than you and riding a 536mm top tube with a stack of 521mm and reach of 383mm. I think you may be thinking in 80's terms when it comes to measurements, which is fair by the sounds of things!

Having said that I agree a test ride should be an option.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:16 pm

From Giant's sizing chart for that bike, at your height, the best fit is an XS size.
You might get away with a small size if you have unusually long legs, short torso and long arms but a medium size is way too big.
Top tube clearance and stand over height has nothing to do with it on compact, sloping top tubed frames.
Take the shop's advise. They know best.
For road bikes it is preferable to go down in size if sitting mid-range between 2 sizes. The saddle can be raised and a longer stem fitted. A too large frame can never be properly modified to fit an undersized rider.
Correct frame size is vital in regard to long distance comfort, posture on the bike relating to aerodynamics (and comfort) and overall performance, handling and efficiency.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:24 pm

Strange that they won't let you test ride the bike, however, it does sound like the Medium would be too big. I'm not sure the stand over test works with modern frames with sloping top tubes (like the TCR). With respect to handling, I'm guessing they are concerned the large reach may not put enough weight on the front tyre increasing risk of it washing out mid corner.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:08 pm

Fro thier size charts it seem a bit big for you.
On a side note, it is sort of pleasing to see a shop show such care, rather than try and sell you whatever they have in stock, with she'll be right mate

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:43 pm

Following replies very keenly, with thanks!

A swaying mindset informing me now is to go for the small size; some interesting facts and figures in the replies: the one from @Tim is especially telling and affirming.

So, I'm mulling making enquiries in Melbourne for an in-stock 50cm (likely not possible without a down. payment/deposit) it appears this model is presently a PRE-ORDER item, in any size); 54cm (M) is a slight stretch as per my earlier post, while 50cm is the correct size, as per a fit-tested Trek Checkpoint. I would have pounced on a Trek Émonda SL6 AXS (discontinued) if I had not run into the same frustrating roadblock with the size: 54cm! We removed the seat post, mulled cutting it to size (!); we also mulled taking a carborundum cutter to the protruding post where the seat post went over <*gasp*>. In the end, we retreated for a gin and said, "oh sod it! Forget it! Move on!" :cry: Thank God for gin and lamingtons. :lol:

Not rushing into this decision and want to be as well-armed with informed guidance as possible. I've spent nearly 8x this amount of money as a car owner, and everything is considered and given plenty of time. I do like fast toys. :D
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 pm

Thinking you said that you set seat height by being able to remain on seat and touch ground with balls of feet. Not exactly the way to do it, pls get better advice.
No one I know remains on the seat when stationary as 1. Good chance seat is to low for your leg length and not getting optimum power to pedals 2. Not as important - but the minute the ground slopes a bit such as road shoulders, from bitumen to gravel, or stopping at gutters, you can't get both feet to touch down and may over balance, especially with cleats.
Enjoy, best riding months ahead, all the best.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:56 am

Tim wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:16 pm
From Giant's sizing chart for that bike, at your height, the best fit is an XS size.
You might get away with a small size if you have unusually long legs, short torso and long arms but a medium size is way too big.
Top tube clearance and stand over height has nothing to do with it on compact, sloping top tubed frames.
Take the shop's advise. They know best.
For road bikes it is preferable to go down in size if sitting mid-range between 2 sizes. The saddle can be raised and a longer stem fitted. A too large frame can never be properly modified to fit an undersized rider.
Correct frame size is vital in regard to long distance comfort, posture on the bike relating to aerodynamics (and comfort) and overall performance, handling and efficiency.
Well said Tim :)

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 pm
If it is the Bendigo Giant shop I am confident they know their stuff with respect to sizing.

No, not Bendigo, but a cheerful wave to a Bendigonian, from a former Castlemaniac!

Hardings used to be my go-to there way back when. I lived in Campbells Creek from 1989 to 2002 before relocating to G-Town. Worked in Breen Street, Mitchell Street and Eaglehawk during that time, in summer jumping on the (very irregular in those times)) morning train to Bendigo, and riding home in the afternoon — you'll know all about the screamer of Big Hill! I sometimes varied the homeward route by going "the long way 'round' — Crusoe Road to Lockwood then down again to Maldon.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:57 am

I am 165cm, 64kg and 60, so not too different to you. I ride a Giant Roam 1 Disc size Small (standover height=725mm) - and my height is dead centre in the Giant size S height range for the Roam. I tried a Medium and found that the crown jewels would be serious jeopardy during an unplanned dismount. My inseam measurement is 760mm.

So, if you find the standover on a TCR Medium (at 747mm) OK, you must have longer legs than me :lol: At 163.7cm, you are actually around dead centre in the Giant XS height range for the TCR. So I am not too surprised that they are reluctant to sell you a bike that is 2 sizes larger.

I realise that my "adventure" bike (hybrid) has different geometry to a road bike (TCR), but in my experience (as a vertically challenged person with short legs) that the standover measurement is actually the most important dimension for me because I don't want to rely on finding a curb to be able to dismount comfortably. I do sometimes think that a Medium might have been better for reach etc (on my flat bar bike, so not reaching "beyond" the handlebars to the grips like on a road bike), but the Medium's top tube would have been an issue for me - I have the saddle adjusted back a fair bit to improve this fit on my Small.

When I bought my Roam in mid-2021, I paid the Giant shop (Brisbane) a $50 deposit to order it and waited 4 months for it - bikes were in VERY short supply back then due to Covid.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:12 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am
warthog1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 pm

No, not Bendigo, but a cheerful wave to a Bendigonian, from a former Castlemaniac!

Hardings used to be my go-to there way back when. I lived in Campbells Creek from 1989 to 2002 before relocating to G-Town. Worked in Breen Street, Mitchell Street and Eaglehawk during that time, in summer jumping on the (very irregular in those times)) morning train to Bendigo, and riding home in the afternoon — you'll know all about the screamer of Big Hill! I sometimes varied the homeward route by going "the long way 'round' — Crusoe Road to Lockwood then down again to Maldon.
:) Cheers, and a wave back.

I ride to Castlemaine and Campbells Ck a bit. Love the quiet road around Vaughan and Fryerstown.
I get there via Sedgewick rd and North Harcourt rd through Harcourt. Up over the "turd burger" on Nth Harcourt rd. Dunno if it was called that when you were here?
Yeah never ridden Big Hill. Too unsafe with many cars travelling at 100 kmh being on the Calder hwy. I minimise exposure wherever possible.

With respect to a new bike I reckon a Cannondale SuperSix sounds good. Plenty of tyre clearance. Up to 34 mm I believe.
I am a convert to disc brakes and large tyres. So much better than skinny tyres and rim brakes :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am

:) Cheers, and a wave back.

I ride to Castlemaine and Campbells Ck a bit. Love the quiet road around Vaughan and Fryerstown.
I get there via Sedgewick rd and North Harcourt rd through Harcourt. Up over the "turd burger" on Nth Harcourt rd. Dunno if it was called that when you were here?
Yeah never ridden Big Hill. Too unsafe with many cars travelling at 100 kmh being on the Calder hwy. I minimise exposure wherever possible.

With respect to a new bike I reckon a Cannondale SuperSix sounds good. Plenty of tyre clearance. Up to 34 mm I believe.
I am a convert to disc brakes and large tyres. So much better than skinny tyres and rim brakes :wink:

The North Harcourt Road was referred to by a few unspeakable monikers when I was riding it (MTB). :lol:

We're thinking that $7,000 is the absolute limit for a roadie (a few hundred — $700 or so more — for fitting out) — that is manageable in retirement, nothing more with many other commitments. The Cannondales look delish, but really, I didn't know that Cannondale was still in bikes — not a marque I see very often at all — around here plenty of Williers, Giant and even a fancy lurid green Pinarello (looks to me like a dogma — on G-Town's crappy streets!? Surely not... :shock:)

Big Hill was quiet when I rode it in the afternoons, decades ago. I agree it is not the safest for cyclists now; by car, I prefer the scenic Crusoe Road-Lockwood-Maldon route instead of the bland scenery of the Calder.

Down here, roadies lost their rav-fav route to "Coffee-Central" Torquay along Horseshoe Bend Road around 2-3+ years ago, as housing developments roared along 1-2-3. That hitherto quiet, undulating road that I also travelled often 2008-2011 on my Sat'day morning Gentlemen's Coffee Caper Classic will be closed for another 10-12 months as it takes another dog-leg into yet another cluttered, templated housing development! In the meantime, bikers have to ride the hideously dangerous Surf Coast Highway, buffeted by buses, cars, B-doubles and other horrors.

I am making contact with GIANT in Melbourne for a consultation next week. They'll go through the loops with a cm-by-cm fit out of my measurements to nail the size 'just so'. Being of Irish-Welsh bloodlines, I'm neither short, tall or disproportionate —though I don't look my age and pardon me, don't care that I shouldn't act it either!

Right. Coffee time! :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:34 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am

Big Hill was quiet when I rode it in the afternoons, decades ago. I agree it is not the safest for cyclists now; by car, I prefer the scenic Crusoe Road-Lockwood-Maldon route instead of the bland scenery of the Calder.

Yeah done Crusoe rd - Lockwood - Maldon - Castlemaine - Harcourt numerous times. :)
The Maldon rd has a shoulder but even that is getting busier than I like now.
Between Maldon and Castlemaine I had a d'head bus driver brush past me at 100kmh a couple of years back though :x

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:54 am

UPDATE: SATURDAY 10 FEBRUARY

'Morning all.
I'll be quick here this morn, as I have some travel to do in car in a bit.

Some things established on a return to Ye Olde Bike Shoppe. Only 2 Size S bikes on display: one a Pinarello in blue (near-fit, but not quite); the other...coming up below...

1. XS (44cm) proven to be the correct size, saddle up a bit, reach perfect; angled handlebars were eyecatching.
2. Test ride not organised yet; CC imprint and bike prep (no air in tyres!); prob. next week some time (?).
3. XS bike is not a GIANT, but a very odd looking machine: a Pinarello GAN GRS It looks quite exotic and 'out there' in design
3a. This bike has been on display for 2 years, with no takers; love the colour scheme (red/white/black: matches the car! :lol: )
3b. Oddity: single elastomer rear stay suspension (adjustable); so "not strictly road, but "road-cross", "happy on gravel"...
3c. Kind of chunky tyres reminded me of my touring bikes; can be swapped out for anything else though
3d. Rear cluster very agreeable range; front rings also agreeable; noticed most Pina's have narrow range (high bias) road clusters
4. $6,999, knocked down to $6,200. I thought the price should be lower for an XS (!! :lol: :lol: ). I still protested...
5. Bit of squirming going on: have not seen this unusual bike before, but it does have some appealing features — and a perfect fit!!

Could I have feedback please on any owners here riding the GAN GRS?

I understand from a lengthy discussion it is a gravel riding bike, often also chosen for bike packing (!)

My 'road' rides in the future (starting June) will be Geelong to Lorne (RTN) via Deans Marsh, Benwerrin; Geelong-Barwon Heads-Ocean Grove-RTN (via 13th Beach). Around the Bay in a Day will be on watch-list, its start 5km from home a bonus. I don't really see the GAN GRS as an impediment to these rides, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

Other stuff:
No S size available now in GIANT TCR ADV Pro Disc 1; XS in many places on lengthy back order;
Compared to the Pinarello, the TCR does have nice paintwork and SRAM/Rival, but looks very threadbare up against the GAN GRS, but there is an oddity in its own right that I need to have sorted out, 'cause I have never seen such a thing before.

So...jury still out, pending more extensive feedback for consideration.

Tally-ho and chocks away!

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:18 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:54 am

'Morning all.
I'll be quick here this morn, as I have some travel to do in car in a bit.

Some things established on a return to Ye Olde Bike Shoppe. Only two, Size S bikes on display: one a Pinarello in puffin blue (near-fit, but not quite); and the other...(surprising what they can find when they shift some clutter!!) coming up below...

Pinarello 2018 Gan GRS

1. XS (44cm) proven to be the correct size, saddle up a bit, reach perfect; angled handlebars were eyecatching.
2. Test ride not organised yet; CC imprint and bike prep (no air in tyres!); prob. next week some time (?).
3. XS bike is not a GIANT ( :? ), but a very odd-looking machine; it looks quite exotic and 'out there' in design
3a. This bike has been on display for 4 years, with no takers; love the colour scheme (red/white/black: matches the car! :lol: )
3b. Oddity: single elastomer rear stay suspension (adjustable); so "not strictly road, but "road-cross", "happy on gravel"...
3c. Kind of chunky tyres reminded me of my touring bikes; can be swapped out for anything else though; wheels felt heavy.
3d. Rear cluster very agreeable range; front rings also very agreeable (ULTEGRA);
noticed most Pina's have narrow range (high bias) road clusters
4. $6,999, knocked down to $6,200. I thought the price should be lower for an XS (!! :lol: :lol: ).
I still protested...it's an old bike now! :lol:
5. Bit of squirming going on: have not seen this unusual bike before, but it does have some appealing features — and strewth, it's a perfect fit!!

Could I have feedback please on any owners here riding the GAN GRS?

I understand from a lengthy discussion it is a gravel riding bike, often also chosen for bike packing (!) I could be on-road or off-road!

My 'road' rides in the future (starting June) will be Geelong to Lorne (RTN) via Deans Marsh, Benwerrin; Geelong-Barwon Heads-Ocean Grove-RTN (via 13th Beach). Around the Bay in a Day is on my watch-list; its start 5km from home a bonus. I don't really see the GAN GRS as an impediment to these rides with tyres and tubes swapped out, but I'll happily be proved wrong and keep looking...

Other stuff:
No S size available now in GIANT TCR ADV Pro Disc 1; XS in many places on lengthy back order;
Compared to the Pinarello, the TCR does have nice paintwork and SRAM/Rival, but, it looks very threadbare up against the GAN GRS, but there is an oddity in its own right that I need to have sorted out, 'cause I have never seen such a thing before.

So...jury still out, pending more extensive feedback for consideration.

Tally-ho and chocks away!

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:40 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:54 am

3. XS bike is not a GIANT, but a very odd looking machine: a Pinarello GAN GRS It looks quite exotic and 'out there' in design
3a. This bike has been on display for 2 years, with no takers; love the colour scheme (red/white/black: matches the car! :lol: )
3c. Kind of chunky tyres reminded me of my touring bikes; can be swapped out for anything else though
3d. Rear cluster very agreeable range; front rings also agreeable; noticed most Pina's have narrow range (high bias) road clusters
4. $6,999, knocked down to $6,200. I thought the price should be lower for an XS (!! :lol: :lol: ). I still protested...
5. Bit of squirming going on: have not seen this unusual bike before, but it does have some appealing features — and a perfect fit!!
A mere 12% off for a 6 year old bike with an outdated groupset where the crank has been subject to a safety recall that has sat on display for 4 years is crazy. If the shop is that deluded then it makes me worry about their after-sales service.

To pay that much for a major brand bike with mechanical shifting in 2024 is crazy. The Giant is substantially better value for money, assuming you can find one that fits.

Given that most top tubes are sloping nowadays, a standover test is no longer relevant. At 163cm you'd be a small or extra small in most brands. For the Giant, I would expect that either is probably suitable - you're pretty much on the borderline.

In fact, if you take a trip to Melbourne, CCache are advertising the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 - so that's with the latest 12-speed Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting - in stock in X-Small for $5500:

https://ccache.cc/products/giant-tcr-ad ... -dragonfly

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:49 pm

If you are returning to cycling after a lay off I would suggest :-

Contemporary frame sizes 'M' 'S' 'XS' or 44, 48,50 etc can and will vary wildly from brand to brand so work out which brand you want to concentrate on.

Buy a budget 2nd hand model that fits your current requirements in your size range

Play with the reach via stems,

Play with saddle position via straight/offset posts

Play with bar shapes,configurations, curves, reaches, drop sizes etc as well if necessary

Then when things gel for you go and spend on a brand new bike.

BTW if you are dealing with the bicycle store 'opposite the football ground'................ my experience has been that I gave them three separate opportunities to please me with three brand new bike purchases over the past 15-18 years and alas I've been bitterly disappointed with their service on all three occasions. The most recent purchase was an online buy - I had to nominate a shop to collect my purchase from and you guessed it - the shop messed the order up forcing a month's delay and another trip into town - a complete PIA when you live over an hour drive away.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:05 pm

open roader wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:49 pm
If you are returning to cycling after a lay off I would suggest :-

Contemporary frame sizes 'M' 'S' 'XS' or 44, 48,50 etc can and will vary wildly from brand to brand so work out which brand you want to concentrate on.

Buy a budget 2nd hand model that fits your current requirements in your size range

Play with the reach via stems,

Play with saddle position via straight/offset posts

Play with bar shapes,configurations, curves, reaches, drop sizes etc as well if necessary

Then when things gel for you go and spend on a brand new bike.

BTW if you are dealing with the bicycle store 'opposite the football ground'................ my experience has been that I gave them three separate opportunities to please me with three brand new bike purchases over the past 15-18 years and alas I've been bitterly disappointed with their service on all three occasions. The most recent purchase was an online buy - I had to nominate a shop to collect my purchase from and you guessed it - the shop messed the order up forcing a month's delay and another trip into town - a complete PIA when you live over an hour drive away.

Firstly, I am not returning to cycling after a lay-off; strictly speaking, I am still cycling (day rides and commuting) by MTB, having logged 35km this morning! I have ongoing consultancy that means I travel casually from G-Town to Fitzroy and Fairfield — quite a bit of cycling in pleasant places indeed!

But I am returning to road cycling — there is room to interpret what you said in two different ways: yes, a 13 year lay-off, not that I am a sloppy or slow rider! :lol:

Yes the shop opp. the stadium; I am frustrated by them and their occasional curtness. In 2007 I bought a GIANT Talon MTB and a GIANT CRX-ZERO (a flat-bar affair that I ripped around the Ocean Road and NE Victorian rail trails); due to ridiculous service costs and having to book-in, service of both bikes was done by the long-gone Bicycle Superstore — and they were superb.

The XS Pinarello was a beautiful fit, but your no doubt well-founded observations have jarred and staggered me. The asking price is still too high for what it is (I told them so!), but they will not budge.

Having a look at the CCache link; never heard of them before. Ringing shortly. Cheers!

-------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * --------------------------------
LATER EDIT

Going to Ccache next Wednesday for viewing/test ride of
XS GIANT TCR Advanced Pro Disc 1 AXS - Dark Iridescent, price reduced: $5,000)

https://ccache.cc/products/giant-tcr-ad ... 426d&_ss=r

Very helpful people to speak with! :D
-------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * --------------------------------

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:17 pm

If you are still struggling speak to Nick at Giant Bendigo (owner).
A good honest fella and a pretty chilled out bloke.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:53 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:17 pm
If you are still struggling speak to Nick at Giant Bendigo (owner).
A good honest fella and a pretty chilled out bloke.

With thanks, I will take that on board, but for now, I prefer to find something locally, with G-Town, Melbourne CBD pretty much the limit of travel and search at this time.

Active fit-test and test ride in Melbourne next Wednesday of the 'holy grail' I was after beyond (sadly) the Trek Émonda SL 6 AXS eTap :(

Trust me, I'll be on a skinny before too long and back into the fray. :P

Rode enough today on MB. I cannot do any more riding until Wednesday because of impending heat (a hazard for me, if not the faithful gathered here); tidbit of kind of 'out there' history: my kidney transplant turns 47 on 10th March (I took up cycling and photography that years because I was bored and had boundless energy); each year brings the promise of a new little treat, a reward, a pat on the head...a reminder of achievement that has well outpaced gloomy expectations back in the autumn of '77. And well outlived the pundits in medicine too.

Time to find an ice cream treat!

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:05 pm

-------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * --------------------------------[/color]
When I click on that link it comes up as $5,000, with a pop-up offering 10% off for first time customers who "sign up", so $4,500 (ie. $1,000 lower than the $5,500 mentioned above).

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:30 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 am
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:05 pm

-------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * -------------------------------- * --------------------------------[/color]
When I click on that link it comes up as $5,000, with a pop-up offering 10% off for first time customers who "sign up", so $4,500 (ie. $1,000 lower than the $5,500 mentioned above).
Won't go below $5,000; already heavily discounted to the point of a loss.
Still applies to other goodies in the store though! :lol:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:49 pm

Case is now closed. :D
GIANT 2024 TCR ADVANCED PRO DISC 1 AXS
XS

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:51 pm
Greetings to fellow roadies!
Waaaay back when I was road cycling with AUDAX Australia, the first road bike, customed designed by a mad German cyclist, was 2 sizes too big for me. Yet I rode the Bendigo Double Century (Melbourne-Bendigo-Melbourne) twice in 1985 and 1986.
Audax Australia (Victoria) has 600ish members and 16 events scheduled for February scattered across Victoria with about 30 individual rides, you could just pick-up where you left off, I am sure they would credit you with your rides kms from the 80s

https://audax.org.au/ride/event-register/

Hope you get your ideal bike sorted, maybe bigger tyres and lower gearing than your 1980s machine, we have gone soft since then.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc