Owners Corporation Network proposes new e-bike, e-scooter rules to reduce fire risk in apartments

Aushiker

Owners Corporation Network proposes new e-bike, e-scooter rules to reduce fire risk in apartments

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:30 pm

Owners of e-bikes or e-scooters will not be allowed to charge their batteries inside their apartments under rules developed for strata schemes concerned about fire risk.

The Owners Corporation Network (OCN), an independent body representing apartment owners, has drafted a model by-law on the management of e-bikes and e-scooters after a series of fires sparked by lithium-ion batteries.

If adopted by strata schemes, the by-law would also ban residents from storing cheaper imported models, modified, or damaged e-bikes on the property.

Further details can be found in the ABC article.

open roader

Re: Owners Corporation Network proposes new e-bike, e-scooter rules to reduce fire risk in apartments

Postby open roader » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:03 pm

I agree with the sentiments of the proposed new regulations.

However, call me a pessimist when I say :-

1) People are going to do whatever they please in their own homes, esp. when they are already accustomed to doing so, regardless of who lives above/below/next door to them.

2) My guess is policing any such regulations will be impossible either through cost, invasion of privacy or simply body corporates not caring a jot.

3) Regarding banning the charging of 'cheaper' grade products = 100% subjective / nonsensical. Perhaps the likelihood of a lower grade battery combusting is indeed more so than a higher grade battery, however, the fact remains all lithium ion batteries can potentially combust.

4) I don't have the answers.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

zebee

Re: Owners Corporation Network proposes new e-bike, e-scooter rules to reduce fire risk in apartments

Postby zebee » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm

I expect that insurance will be a problem. If your strata says do not and you do, then the damage to your property (or your landlord's) and the common property may not be covered.

Probably the common property will be as tenants/owners do stupid/illegal/banned things all the time so as long as strata told them not to, strata's insurer will pay up then chase the culprit.

Meanwhile the insurer for the unit may well point to the bit they all have about "deliberate or intentional acts" and smirk. If the strata has said "no, too dangerous" then it is a deliberate act to do this dangerous thing.

That being so I'd say any sensible landlord will say "no way!" and any sensible unit owner should tell themselves the same.

Of course I charge FrankenTrike in the garage and have done for years. I trust the Bionx charger and battery and disconnect the charger after it's charged and yes I do go down after my guesstimate of time and check. Only time will tell if I am being insufficiently paranoid but I'm willing to take the risk on a very high end and famously over-engineered bit of kit.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:19 pm

zebee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm
Of course I charge FrankenTrike in the garage and have done for years. I trust the Bionx charger and battery and disconnect the charger after it's charged and yes I do go down after my guesstimate of time and check. Only time will tell if I am being insufficiently paranoid but I'm willing to take the risk on a very high end and famously over-engineered bit of kit.
I am considering using a timer to shut off the power to the charger as outlined in this blog post: https://talesontwowheels.com/2023/09/01 ... off-timer/

Bunnings has numerous timers which I think will do the trick, e.g. this one for $15.00.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:39 pm

Aushiker wrote: I am considering using a timer to shut off the power to the charger
This is what I do. I'm yet to have forgotten to go into the shed and disconnect but there's always a first time..........

I see this kind of precaution as nothing more cautious than wearing PPE when welding, using power tools etc. It's a simple cheap thing you can do to minimise/eliminate risk.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:00 am

open roader wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:39 pm
Aushiker wrote: I am considering using a timer to shut off the power to the charger
This is what I do. I'm yet to have forgotten to go into the shed and disconnect but there's always a first time..........

I see this kind of precaution as nothing more cautious than wearing PPE when welding, using power tools etc. It's a simple cheap thing you can do to minimise/eliminate risk.
I agree.
I normally charge to 80% using a timer and top up if required immediately prior to the ride if a long ride is planned. To hopefully minimise battery degradation I generally follow recommendations outlined in the Ribble Cycles E Bike care guide: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/blog/car ... les-guide/
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)